Okay Got My Scale In... Now What?

Failure to launch… I pulled out the scale… looked at it… and freaked out. Said I’ll play with it tomorrow. It’s tomorrow hahahahaha

5 Likes

Here’s a bunch of help for ya:

6 Likes

Which scale did you get? You need to go to your preferences and change your settings from drops to grams. Make sure the scale is set to grams. Then turn the scale on, let it zero. Then set your bottle on the scale. Then tare the scale (re-zero it with bottle on it). So with the bottle on the scale it should read zero. Then follow the grams column and add ingredients one at a time. Each time you get the desired amount of each ingredient make sure to Tare the scale and start over at zero. Unless you want to calculate each number. So if you add 5 grams of PG, and need to add 40 grams of VG you just add VG until it reads 45 grams. But I just tare it each time I finish with an ingredient.

6 Likes

On the calculator click User and Preferences. Check the box for Use Grams. All you recipes will change to grams where drops used to be. You’ve always created using percentages, that won’t change. Just now it will show grams. Remember to click Save after changing to grams.

Set your scale to grams.

Whether mixing via bottles or other, place your container on the scale.
Zero it (tare) and make sure it reads down to the 100th of a gram (0.00)
Add your ingredients by grams.
Zero after each addition.
Done :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think DIYorDIE has some very good video’s about mixing with scales.

7 Likes

You’ll feel silly for feeling intimidated after watching this video. It’s not hard at all once you see someone do it! You’ve got this! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just breathe it’s only a scale . I did the same thing and tomorrow ended up being like 6 months later. I am so glad I jumped back on that horse. It is so much better and easy peezy… almost makes u think ok am I doing this wrong kinda easy.

4 Likes

Exactly!!!

4 Likes

It’s so easy peezee it’s lemon squeezey. You will wonder why you never mixed by weight before.

If you do get worried about accuracy…all things are groovey until you get to the nic part. I still measure by weight and volumn when adding my nic

4 Likes

I wanted to start mixing for a few months but I kept putting if off , thinking it was too complicated.I started watching some of the video’s and just ordered everything, including a cheap digital scale.I was lucky in that I started with scales.
At first I dispensed everything from syringes , I bought the majority of flavors in the large four ounce bottles.I quickly learned to transfer my larger bottles into 10ml drip bottles.Life is so much easier now without the extra cleaning and now I don’t have to worry about cross contamination.

4 Likes

Once you figure out how to mix with a scale, you wont ever go back to the old way :sunglasses:

5 Likes

And now it’s the day after tomorrow. C’mon, lets see those results, and the inevitable ‘Omg, it was so easy!’ :grinning:

4 Likes

Maybe someone needs to go check on her? :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s what seemed to be the most recommended so I got that one. I changed my settings. Wish me luck LOL Thank you for all the information guys!

7 Likes

I have that one and love it. When it’s plugged it never auto shuts off. :+1:

5 Likes

I haven’t seen this one before. I like it, who has it ?
never mind I found one $28 lol

2 Likes

That’s the one I use too. Love my scale and I certainly hope you are having fun with yours now!

1 Like

It was easy! You guys rock!!! The cleanup was super quick… definitely the way to go LOL. Now all I need to do is get my pg and vg in dripper bottles and I can see this being even faster! mixed up six recipes in an hour and that’s half the time it would usually take even learning something new!

PS AND I got to sit down while doing that which was a huge plus

10 Likes

Well done! Ever since I started mixing with a scale I mix more often no more cleaning up for an hour

4 Likes

Just an FYI, for any that stumble in here and may have a slight tendency to feel intimidated using a scale for the first time…relax, no worries, mate.
Leave your flavors, nic, PG, VG, etc. where you usually keep them, then play with your new scale.
I have the AWS [above] very affordable on Amazon, and I have several others because I reload (ammo).
The best scale for e-juice should have at least a 30 second window before an auto-shut-off. The AWS (above) has that,
and is why it is a favorite among DIY mixers. @Big_Benny_MI says that if you use the supplied AC power cord, versus the 4 AA batteries, that it doesn’t auto-shut-off at all. I should have also checked that before I let my fingers over-ride my knowledge, just to confirm his knowledge.
Back to playing, and getting familiar with your new tool…
Using some old bottles, beakers, whatever…and after you have used the e-juice calculator to design your recipe, simply use water to ‘mock’ your recipe and get used to using the scale.
Play with it a few times, and you will see how simple it is.
You will soon be on the path to becoming the next Antoine Lavoiser, Dmitri Mendeleev, or even Marie Curie.

4 Likes