OT. how do "Wills" work?

Excellent! Can you really download the forms and avoid lawyers? I like THAT, have you done it? Who are you paying to maintain the Trust? Sorry for all the questions but this is something I was looking into a few years ago.

2 Likes

Hey, you are obviously trying to help your wife. If things go south at least you have backup to prove you tried. Her fault if she doesn’t listen. I say you’re INNOCENT!

3 Likes

and my MiL, she is a real nice lady, so i help as best i can. if she didn’t live 1hr away, she would have no worries (where she lives now, 3 mins from my SiL, they won’t even shovel her driveway !). BiL lives 700 miles away = basicly useless.

lol, thanx :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve never had a MiL that was normal. They’ve been my life’s bane.

4 Likes

A trust gets tucked into the will. The exact methods are different for the kind of trust chosen. The person executing the trust get paid a fee for making sure everything goes as planned. The trust can be as simple as a hand written scrawl on notebook paper.

2 Likes

I knew a will could be handwritten on notebook paper but didn’t know a trust could as well. Thx for the info.

1 Like

One more thing to consider.

In some states, if the deceased DOES NOT have a will, the property goes to the state by default. Last I knew, Texas was one such state, and I believe Illinois is as well.

This is not something that one can afford to bury their head in the sand on IMO. Unless you literally DGAF about family pics, heirlooms, or other such memories (aside from the obvious: items with monetary value).

I’m guessing that it could be contested by blood relatives, but even then, I would certainly expect one hell of a long drawn out legal battle, with plenty of fees for the court and its associated vultures to siphon out all they can in the process.

3 Likes

my wife and i need to make a Will . but the thing is, there is utterly no one i want to leave my stuff to, NO ONE. but saying that, my plan is to use up every last $ i have and die with nothing, or something like that.

4 Likes

The pirates and parasites running our government will be happy to make that happen even if you have a will. :confounded: :grin:

2 Likes

even more so now.

3 Likes