Percentages vs. weight vs. drops

well when you make your next batch in a quarter of the time you will say why didn’t i do this sooner!

2 Likes

i hate weighing in on drops vs weight (see what i did there :rofl:) but I would suggest that if you used a set of scales and mixed as you normally do (by drops) you would find out how far off you are from the actual recipe (it may not be a huge diff on a small mix but it may be considerable in a large mix).

I get this wouldn’t be an issue for you as you always mix the same way but if someone ever wanted to replicate your mix the result may be quite different to what you actually mix.

But at the end of the day do it the way you are comfortable with :+1:

6 Likes

No I mix by volume but I bought up the fact that drops was a very inaccurate way of doing things not knowing everyone already knew what I had just learned lol. Everyone here has convinced me to change from volume to weight so I’m going to give it a try.

3 Likes

Oh my bad - i read the first part last night and the rest this morning - volume is fine too I am all for people doing it the way they want and are comfortable with - mixing by weight in my opinion is faster but it also requires more concentration - more than once i have done the oops too much :grinning:

6 Likes

Just for the record, 20 drops is a mill if you are using something that is medically calibrated. You know, like an IV. Not likely to find that in a small plastic bottle. Should work out if you want to buy calibrated droppers.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t sweat getting flavors exact using a scale. You can pretty much set them for what carrier they are using either PG or VG. It’s consistency you are looking for. If a flavor is off, you change the percentage/amount slightly. Once you find the blend you want you’re home and the process is repeatable. 100% of the time I start using someone else’s recipe, I will tweak it my taste anyway. I once had a professor that said “chicken shit is chicken shit, don’t pick the white stuff”. Wise concept.

2 Likes

LOL, I’m going to give it a try once I get my scales in.

3 Likes

I still do drops
I still do volume
and I still do weight

When you are mixing up a bunch of “test” recipes, I do ten ml. and believe me, the scale is a pain in the arse for small amounts and you will find volume is faster and easier. That is what I find to be true and the little it might be off is negligible. I can hear it now the groan of the community telling me how wrong I am. The problem is not them it is me. I am extremely lazy and that may have a lot to do with it.

When I find a recipe I like and I am mixing a lot of it I obviously use weight because it is easier, faster, and more accurate.

Like @Chrispdx says. A lot of us have a favorite “base” laying around that we are always vaping. For me it is custard and creams. One day I am vaping my base and I’m like, I sure could go for some dragonfruit right about now and whamo I add “drops” to it until I find what I am looking for.

You are pretty close to your estimations though. They are just about what I found.

2 Likes

Honesty I love it. And on that it might be that same thing for me cause I’m
new to this and I am always making up 10ml bottles 6 or 8 of them at a time
for testing cause I too have a base I call secret sauce that’s pretty much
a bunch of vanilla and cream. I will probably like the weight way of mixing
but the reason above is why I’ll probably always use volume to an extent.

1 Like

I mixed by volume at first and the results were just fine. Where I became frustrated was having to have a herd of pipettes on hand. It bugged me having to wash out the pipette between each ingredient if I only used one, and I was adding water to everything as I couldn’t dry them completely in a timely fashion. With the exception of nicotine, all my ingredients are in squeeze bottles with drip caps. I don’t know that mixing by weight is any more accurate. All mixing apps have to round off the amounts used to the nearest 1/100th and in the end the weight is only to the nearest drop anyway. There’s also the accuracy of the scale to consider. I’ve got an AWS consumer grade scale and although it reads to 1/100/th of a gram, it’s not lab grade. There’s also the accuracy of my taste buds to consider. I simply can’t taste the difference of a drop or two in 120ml mix. I’m no mix nazi either. I fully believe the best way to mix is the way you like to mix.

5 Likes

I guess I’ll weigh in too. I am extremely lazy. I mix all of my recipes by weight using manufacturer’s SG at 0mg nic.

I keep my nic base frozen, 25mg/ml 25%pg75%vg. My target in juice is always 60%pg. When I want a nice juice to wake up or am using one of my “whimpier” mod/atty combos I’ll draw out 4ml-ish in a syringe, top to fill my 30ml PET bottle with pre-mixed 0mg juice, that about 3.3mg strength. My wimpy attys are still pretty stout.

If I’m using my big boy LiPo PWM mods and 25-30mm attys that generate clouds that rain, I’ll only use 2ml-ish of my nic base and vape on.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I keep a small jar of vodka that I use to clean my funnels etc and rinse new bottles. I reuse the vodka in there until I feel it’s carrying too much flavor, then I dump and replace. It helps me stay lazy.

1 Like

Brilliant! I will start doing that right away. Thanks for helping ME stay lazy. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Random thought, anybody tried tasting the vodka?

2 Likes

Lmfao! Sounds a little scary…

2 Likes

That makes me think of this, it was pulled for awhile when a few college kids had heart attacks.

2 Likes