Providing ID online

So i just had to provide my drivers license , for the first time for a purchase of a “tobacco product” (some damn e juice) online.

I had to send 3 pics. One of front of my id, back of id, and pic of me, my face, holding the id.
I understand this is part of the new regulations, per the fda, and wanted to learn more about sharing my id online.
I know i had to do it, in order to recieve my purchase. But still didn’t feel 100% comfortable sharing my id online.
So we need a thread with safety tips , and any recommendations ppl more smarter than me have about sharing id’s online.
When i sent mine it was through email with a associate of the company, i believe her official title was Customer Success Manager. And I included a couple of sentences with my id.
I put this is for age verification for "a certain company " for the purchase of e-liquid. Do not share this with any other party.

Idk if that was a good idea, or if i should have put more… or whatever. But i just want advice at what we should do as customers, that will have to share our id online now.

Thanks for the responses, your advice is appreciated.

7 Likes

I think that is awful and possibly illegal??

When do you ever have to send your ID to purchase ANYTHING.

I could order as much alcohol as I wanted right now and not have to send my ID.

You could easily fake an ID anyway so all in all its a stupid unsafe system.

I wouldn’t send my ID via email to anyone ever…

5 Likes

When you buy ammunition from certain states it is required.I don’t really like it but I have had to do this for several years now and never had any problems , knock on wood!:neutral_face:

3 Likes

In Germany they check your ID when they deliver the merchandise to you which means you don’t have to send any ID to anyone through e-mail. I think it works fine that way.
I have come across 1 site where you had to ID yourself through the website using certain numbers you have on your German Passport but since i’m not German i can’t do that and therefore i don’t shop at that place.

3 Likes

First and foremost many States use the SSN as a drivers licenses number, if your in a State that does this I would suggest getting a new drivers license and have them use a different number.
Having said that I show my license a whole lot… tons and tons of times, none of my credit or debit cards have my signature on them, but the words CHECK ID written in the location, most people look at it and don’t ask my ID lol. But the point is, I display the ID card often.
Here’s a thing though… this is from “CreditCards.com”"
"
All the networks allow a merchant to ask for identification. MasterCard and Visa, however, explicitly prohibit retailers from requiring an ID to accept a properly signed card. “They can ask for that ID, but you can refuse to show the ID and they still must accept the card,” says Paul Stephens, director of policy and advocacy at the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a nonprofit that advocates for consumer privacy rights.

On the other hand, Visa and MasterCard rules prohibit the acceptance of unsigned cards. If you present one, the merchant must ask you to sign the card and supply an ID. Visa guidelines specify that it must be an official government ID".

4 Likes

Good point , I wasn’t aware some states still had your SSN listed on your drivers license !
That could be very bad!

2 Likes

This is just me personally but i think yall being paranoid. I mean so you sent your i.d. that has your name and address. I mean people have been in phone books for decades with the same info. Yet you’ll send all the same info to a company with your credit card info and that’s no biggie? Ohh but it has your picture and your i.d. #. Trust me if i was looking to steal from you i’d much rather have your credit card #.

2 Likes

When I placed an order through Kidney Puncher, they had me provide my ID. I felt this to be pretty secure as you cover up any ID numbers.

Here’s part of the email they sent me:

Can you please send me a picture of your ID and I will only need to see your name and date of birth everything else you do not want seen you may cover up.

Example:

4 Likes

Honestly this seems like a silly exercise. They’re essentially telling you to go ahead and doctor your ID photo (to hide stuff), and it’s just as easy to doctor it completely.

2 Likes

I try to keep drivers and social security numbers private. I ask if there are other alternatives to whomever asking for these two numbers. Not that I have a lot of wealth, just trying to keep what I have. If someone could round up all the personal information in one place, we have supplied the internet, we would be in deep trouble with regards to identity theft.
My rule of thumb:
Give as little information as possible, especially if the information has never been required before.
Ask if there is a more appealing (non evasive) alternative.
Complain to whomever might be able to change the policy.
If all else fails, depends on how bad you need to do the business - your choice.

2 Likes

Should have sent back the example… lol

2 Likes

http://vapemoar.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=cc2a353ee20032870ed924b69&id=4f077f48b0&e=6ae8365452

1 Like

The online retailers are facing a challenge just like everyone else to whom the FDA Deeming affects. I figure at some point someone in our capitalist society will see the need and make some money off of it. Like creating some type of national ID verification registry where age verification will eventually be giving your ID#. But in the meantime, online retailers must be in compliance or risk losing their right to operate. I spoke with a local shop today who has an online presence and their solution is to require all online payments be made by credit card since they say you must be 18+ to own one. My question was “what makes you sure you’re selling to the owner of the card?” To which they said not our problem. We have a record that we verified. Either way, my bet is within a few short months someone will capitalize on the opportunity and sharing photo ID’s over the web will be no more.

1 Like

alot of shops here simply require id for verification upon delivery so canada post or the courier company is suppose to check

1 Like

Mount Baker Vapor is using some private registry called BlueCheck Age Verification, but it’s basically the same hoops you have to jump thru. VapeHappy is using the same service too.

2 Likes

Bumpity bump bump bump. With the new FDA proposals for requiring this, many more vendors are asking for this. I am sure everyone feels strongly about not providing information about ourselves especially where a credit card is involved. The software involved advertises as being safe but we all know hackers have to hack. Not really putting much faith in one such program but this is what it is (sry relevant info is at the bottom of the page) https://www.bluecheck.me/industries/tobacco-vapor-products. When and if we have no choice and although it is different software the process is similar and may help you providing it: https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1220621-identity-verification

3 Likes