Question about flavor bases

Hey everyone! I mix for a few different people, they all use different nic % and pg/vg ratio so I make bottles of each nic base mix to use for whomever orders stuff from me. I have two recipes that all of them order regularly so I was thinking I should make a big bottle of just the flavorings and use that at the correct % mixed with whichever nic base I need for that person. Seems simple in my head but won’t the final pg/vg ratio be off?? And will mixing the flavors in a separate bottle make them taste different?? Maybe it’s not enough to make a difference. Nothing about this business has been easy to figure out and this seems almost TOO simple. Does anyone else do this???

1 Like

I don’t do it only because I don’t have any one flavor that I make a lot of. But, if I did, I would use a flavor base. When you make a base, you’re only combining the flavors. Then, you’d use your base as you would a single flavor. So, say your recipe calls for a total of 15% flavor (made up of lots of different flavors). If you make a flavor base, you just use that at 15% in a recipe like it’s a flavor. The differences in PG/VG % can be made up with the PG and VG that you’d normally add as long as your nic base allows for it.

i.e. I have a recipe called Peach rings with a total of 12% flavor. If I made a flavor base, I’d use it at 12%. I typically make 2.5mg 40/60 PG/VG juice. My nic base is 24mg 100% PG. So to make 10ml, I’d use 1.08 g nic base, 1.83 PG, 7.57 VG and 1.2 g of my Peach Rings Base. Using the nic I have, I can go up to 77% VG for a 2.5 mg final. If I want a higher strength nic in my final liquid, my VG% will, by necessity, go down. If I want 8mg juice, I can only do 54% VG.

Hope that makes sense and answers your question. If not, let me know and I’ll try to explain it better. LoL

EDIT: Using a flavor base, you’d have to make each nic base so that it works with that flavor base. Otherwise, yes, your percents may be a little off. It shouldn’t be enough to be that noticeable. A flavor base is usually easier to make, then all you have to do is add nic, PG, VG. Whereas with a nic base, you have to add a bunch of different flavors.

2 Likes

If you mix with 100mg nic the percentage of pg/vg/flavoring change would be very minimal imo. Beyond that you can could a base with a median plan to use 8mg nic (between the 12mg and 3mg) so your percentage of variance is smaller.

1 Like

There are a couple of flavors I make all the time for people. I have been making 240 ml bottles at 3 mg/ml so it can be steeped. If they want a higher nic, I just add the needed amount when I bottle it for them. They get a nice steeped bottle of juice at the nic level they want.

2 Likes

Flavor ‘Bases’ I keep on hand always:

Custardstone
CreamStone
Cakestone
Bust-A-Nut
Kringle’s Kurse Clone

VERY helpful, cuz they are all used quite often. Saves a lot of time
when I mix and I really believe it cuts down on steep time.

3 Likes

I had to wipe my beard. That list made me drool on meself. LOL

3 Likes

Thanks everyone!! Yes, it all makes sense. Most of my “customers” are into subohm so I do a lot of 3mg 50/50 for them and they’re happy with that. I agree the extra pg from the flavors is insignificant, they’re all brand new vapers and probably wouldn’t notice a little extra pg anyway.
I have one who uses Protanks and 18mg so I think it’s just as easy to do hers by the bottle, so to speak. And yes, my nic is 100 mg so it doesn’t take much. Thank goodness for the calculators!!! And thank goodness for you guys too😊

2 Likes

Hope you had a nice Christmas Kimber… :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Hi there!!! Yes, nice Christmas. Just ended today actually. Had the 3 grandkids for the day and did our xmas with them… They’re 7, 4, and 3 so it was busy! How’s your mixing going?? My most recent convert has got me selling a couple of my successes… Still far more failures though. Hoping to get back to the “lab” tomorrow.

STEEP TIME!!! I hadn’t thought about that part of it!!! Would it be pre-steeped if I made a big bottle of flavor base??? OMG, would that ever make things easier!

It helps a little, but you still need to steep :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

Damn. Thought it mighta been a bit of a magic bullet. Patience is NOT my strong suit😉

Yeah…steeping can be a drag…I’ve dedicated a minimum of 3 weeks …but now I got about 10 bottles 30ml each vape ready, so while I am vaping that, my other blends and new mixes can do their thing…and the need for patience goes away… :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes

Yes, steeping is only a problem if you don’t mix enough! ;D

3 Likes

The other part of the problem is that I’m trying recipes that have too many ingredients. I need to figure out the simple stuff first. I just posted my first recipe (yay me!) and it’s simple, but really good. And have three people hooked on it!

2 Likes

What is it called…? wanna look at it, then get to see your flavor stash

Strawberry Frost. And I haven’t updated my flavor stash in a while, I really need to find time to do that!

1 Like

Check you out…It looks interesting…I got most of the ingredients…and use Koolada…have no menthol…Looks like a refreshing vape…How long does it require to steep for an excellent taste?

1 Like

Just a couple days… I make it for another friend without the menthol and she raves about it too. I would think Koolada would be fine too.

I see you used a 30/70 PG/VG mix…How are you liking the flavor?

1 Like