Rate now requires a comment

@daath how do we get to some ones recipe page from here? For instance, if I click on your name, it takes me to your profile, but how do we get to your recipe page, or your flavor stash?

6 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking :slight_smile:

Thanks for this Lars! I know we have been talking about it for a year or 2, so Iā€™m interested to see how it works out! Especially on these new recipes I post, that are rated within 5 minutes of posting themā€¦ very curious to see what they have to say about that!!

4 Likes

It canā€™t be done at the moment - It is something I want to do in the futureā€¦

3 Likes

Right on, thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I support this feature 100%.

While im not sure how i feel about the comment to rate it will certainly solve one problem, hitting 1 star, accidentally, while trying to hit the favorite button. Ive done it a few times myself, dern sausage fingersā€¦

You can put your recipe side link in your forum side profile. When i asked daath about this it is what he suggested.

5 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks. Now we just gotta get every body else to do it too. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

thatā€™s a nice feature :slight_smile: having a feedback for the recipes is always good :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been having an issue with the new feature. I will leave a comment, and then try to rate, But I keep getting this, ā€œTo rate, you must leave a comment. Click here to go to the formā€ā€¦ refreshing the page hasnā€™t helped.

3 Likes

have you tried rating, then leaving a comment?

1 Like

@Jooshwa, yeah I keep getting the exact same thing :frowning: , even leaving a comment first wonā€™t let me rate

1 Like

@Jooshwa @Viscosity

I just gave it a try on a private recipe, i rated, it asked me to go to the form for comment so i did and the rating stuck. Then i deleted the comment and the rating was reset.

Wonder what is causing the issue for you twoā€¦ The answer is probably over my head anywaysā€¦

1 Like

Tested on private recipes, if you click Rate, and then leave a comment it works.

If you comment, and then click the rate button it doesnā€™t work.

3 Likes

I have rephrased it. Now it says, ā€œA rating must be accompanied by a commentā€ - In other words, you can only rate when you leave a comment at the same timeā€¦

3 Likes

Ok, that makes sense with what I have seen. I originally thought that as long as you had left a comment, that you could rate.

2 Likes

In time, I think forcing some recipe input will be a really great thing. Instead of hopping recipes, it will open up a dialogue between the creator and reader, whether it be flavor usage, or percentages, or even sharing similar flavor profiles. I like engaging with other people on here, and I think the new rating system really gives us a better way to engage with other users.

5 Likes

I generally donā€™t post or rate anything, my tastes are my own and chances are if I publish a recipe itā€™s already been done in some form anyway. If Iā€™m being honest, I love the site as an eliquid calculator but the ā€œsocial mediaā€ side isnā€™t my thing. Taste is a complicated thing and input/suggestions will always be a shot in the dark. Suffice to say my input is likely unimportant but I will offer it anyway. Forcing comments on would be raters might backfire and cause more harm than good. Look at YouTube for instance, you can give a thumbs down and keep it moving. If comments were required the comment sections would be twice as toxic as they already are. Ever skimmed through them? Trolls will be Trolls regardless of ANYTHING, force them to comment in order to be a shit head and they will except now they will be an ultra shit head.

TL;DR Ratings donā€™t define a recipe, taste is way too complex for them to carry weight. Forcing comments wonā€™t deter Trolls,they set out to be a shit head anyway.

4 Likes

Youtube is not a good comparison. I donā€™t watch a video based on thumbs up/down or comments. However, I do enjoy reading the troll comments for their entertainment value.

Recipe comments are more like reading product reviews on Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, that kind of thing. It helps me decide on purchasing a product, or in this case, make a recipe. I can already decide if I want to try the recipe based on the flavors. Because everyone has different tastes, the comments might push me in one direction or another. They might even offer a suggestion, enhancement, or a workable substitution. Having to leave a comment will hopefully promote some thought behind the rating. Another result might be in fewer people rating a recipe because they donā€™t want to be bothered with leaving a comment. That will just make the ratings and comments more meaningful. A dickhead will always be a dickhead, but I think the overall benefits will out weigh the few dickheads. And, as Daath said

TL:DR Donā€™t bury your head in the sand.

2 Likes

Honestly I feel that if itā€™s a private recipe you shouldnā€™t have to leave a commentā€¦ many private recipes are WIP so adaption and change are routine and rating it helps you decipher a quick reflection of it before it steepsā€¦ so if possible on private recipes I donā€™t see a real need To make it mandatoryā€¦
Life is not about mandates or having to ā€œdoā€ something for an exchange of having something elseā€¦ we all vape because itā€™s our right to do something that we feel is best (despite BP , BT and now government) trying to hinder that and tells us ā€œwhat we can or can not doā€.
Love this place and have been here since the beginning and always willā€¦ I just have always looked at it a a place representative of freedom especially our own personal onesā€¦ I donā€™t ever want to feel I must do something or have to leave words in order to rate my own private recipesā€¦ nor would I want to feel any restrictions from this wonderful site and service in any wayā€¦
Maybe Iā€™m way off or ahead of the ā€œactual pointā€ of the ruleā€¦ @daath I stand behind you no matter how you want to make changes and appreciate all the work youā€™ve done to make it the best of its kindā€¦ just wanted to leave my two centsā€¦

A comment is no longer required if you rate your own recipes :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@daath thank you my friendā€¦ This site is an extension of you, and thereā€™s not another place on the net that comes close to its potential and awesomeness!! Double goes for you, buddyā€¦:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes