REAL FLAVOR Recommendations

Glad yours turned out good. But I had to toss 3 15ml bottles due to the harshness. As for me I think the Bread Pudding is fantastic as a shake and vape but I for one will only make small batches for immediate consumption. Not a huge deal though.

1 Like

Say what??
I was just there yesterday and grabbed a couple things but If I had known that they finally got them on board I would have grabbed a couple!

Ive been really impressed with the ones I’ve tried so far. Here are my rather rambling notes… Sorry, it’s my first time trying to do tasting notes…

COOKIES & CREAM - REAL FLAVORS - 10% in 80VG/20PG - 7 days steep
Another really good stand alone from RF, a pack of Oreos without the calories!

Even at a weeks steep the taste is just perfect, I usually avoid anything chocolate and this has completely changed my mind. Proper chocolate flavoured biscuit with a rich creamy exhale. As expected no harshness, just a really smooth enjoyable vape.

Great on its own, as a single flavour, between 8% - 12%. Want to combine it with a vanilla ice cream to create an Oreo Milkshake, recipe still at testing stage but I’m feeling positive!

SUPER ICE CREAM - REAL FLAVORS - 8% in 80VG/20PG - 5 days steep

Remember Zap ice lollies from the 80’s early 90’s? Creamy ice cream lolly with a subtle berry/almost sherbet taste? This is a Zapp lolly in concentrate form, it’s unbelievably spot on and I feel like I’m an eight year old again!

Think it will benefit from a longer steep (4 weeks really) although even at 5 days the flavour is really enjoyable. Zero harshness, no peppery taste that sometimes occurs with an ice cream concentrate, just smooth soft full fat ice cream. The berry flavour makes itself known without over dominating the soft creaminess or being perfumed.

As a standalone flavour it is amazing, for me it’s straight into all day vape territory and people can’t help but ask what I’m vaping due to the wonderful scent trail I’m leaving in my wake! Think it could be a wonderful addition at 2% - 4% in other mixes and make a fab base for fruits around the 6% mark.

BREADPUDDING 10% in 80VG/20PG - 5 days steep

Couldn’t wait any longer to test this, think it should probably have a much longer steep (4 weeks probably), however, really enjoying it! Deep rich eggy bread and butter pudding flavour, mild warmth from a hint of cinnamon with an almost nutmeg flavour buried somewhere. Perfect level of sweetness, not artificial, like its from currents or sultanas. Was planning on mixing this with a little vanilla custard but to be honest it’s really really good as a stand alone one shot and I think 10% is definitely enough to get a full flavoured vape.

PINK CANDY Tester: 80 VG/ 20 PG - 8% - 3 day steep
Really impressed, tastes identical to Strawberry Chewitts/Strawberry Starburst. Subtle creamy smooth strawberry candy flavour. No harshness or chemical taste. Flavour develops as it steeps, shall retest at 4 weeks. Can see it working well as a glaze/iceing sugar topping in bakery recipies but is lovely as a stand alone. Might be overpowered easily by other flavours so percentage used in recipies will have to remain pretty high, planning on trying with ice cream or marshmallow or custard or cookie or doughnut.

Not had time to write proper notes for the following yet:
VANILLA ICE CREAM - 10% - 1 week - No harshness, no odd aftertaste, just silky smooth vanilla ice cream.
RAINBOW CANDY - 8% - 3 days - perfect skittles flavour, not too sweet, not too tart. Mouth watering.
TROPICAL RAINBOW CANDY - 10% - as above but tropical!
RASPBERRY - 5% - hands down the greatest raspberry I’ve ever tasted. Sweet, fresh and tart, so close to an actual raspberry it has to be tasted!
BLACKBERRY - 7% - real sweet blackberry flavour, not overpowering, no perfume. Just wonderful.

4 Likes

Went ape shit crazy and mixed 60ml of my favorite Real Flavors all at 10% flavor for a little extended steeping test. A couple I’ve already hit on so I need to get these put away quick… outta sight, outta mind. I initially did 10ml of each and as far as I’m concerned they’re all ADV worthy single mixes after a week or 10 days.

4 Likes

I’m finding Cookies & Cream a little hard to resist myself :slight_smile: trouble is all the RFs I’ve tried so far are just great stand alones - really struggling to come up with recipie ideas that will enhance the originals!

Mixed this a few hours ago, shouldn’t really work as a S&V but it does… No chance the 30ml I mixed will last a semi decent steep unless someone physically removes it from me: Oreo McFlurry

5 Likes

I know what you mean. I think Cookies and Cream is my favorite so far.

3 Likes

My last non-VaporBase concoction is a Strawberries and Cream at 8%, I added 1% TFA Marshmallow and just a small hint of 1.5% Pink Candy.

This may replace my Strawberry Astronaut craving for an all day vape. After a 2 week steep it packs a punch on the inhale and eases you down on the exhale with a sweet strawberry taste.

I can’t stress this enough… the Marshmallow simply adds body, the flavor from the other RF ingredients are more than enough. But it does really give you that “whew” feeling as you blow the vapor out.

I’m putting this back in the “vault” for two more weeks, stayed tuned for more info. Same bat-time… same bat-channel.

3 Likes

I agree completely. They have a great complex flavor on a lot of their flavors. I’m loving it. I missed this thread somehow, and posted my tasting notes on another thread. I will go find it and copy and paste here. Thanks for all the info, sounds like cookies and cream and ice cream are on the list now :wink:

2 Likes

Ok, this is a list of some of my feedback on these flavors. I usually research and read the forums on all flavors before buying and trying as I’ve wasted so much money. Unfortunately, their hasn’t been a lot of tasting notes or feedback on Real Flavors, certainly not like there is for other well known companies.

Maybe because they are a newer company? Or because they have been marketed under other names? I know a vendor called them Northwest Flavors, but I’m just guessing as I’m not really sure. However, because of Walt’s interaction with us mixers in the forums, and all the reviews/feedback I read on this thread and the beta testing thread I wanted to try them. Thank you @Walt for making up a customizable sample pack so I could try some out :grinning:

And thank you to all the other mixers that have been sharing their knowledge and recipes, as well as answering all my questions. And for doing it all nicely!

So I am going to share my opinion on the flavors I have tried so far. In the hopes it might help others when researching and looking for info on these flavors like I was. I am honestly surprised at how many of these flavors I liked, as well as how many I would vape stand alone. The flavor developed on quite a few of these is very complex for a single flavoring. I don’t have many I consider stand alone flavors. I am picky though. Out of about 120 flavors I have 3-4 total I like by themselves. And of the 14 Real Flavors I have tried I found another 4. Please also understand that these are only my opinions, and as taste is subjective you may not have the same experience. Also that I am not a reviewer, and am also a novice mixer with only about 10 months experience, so I am far from an expert. I am not a novice vaper though, proud to be a vaper since February 12, 2013.

Disclaimer: To get the most out of these flavors the really do need a longer steep, especially if mixed max VG, personally I like 4 weeks minimum. I did add these descriptions to my notes on each flavor, and will update when tested after a 4 week steep instead of a 1 week steep. Maybe one day I will catch up with notes on all my flavors…yeah right :wink:

Tested @ 30/70 pg/vg on a Troll RDA with a single coil .4 ohm 2 claptons wrapped parallel at 23w with only 1 week steep.

Butterscotch Pudding: 10% @ 1 week steep. Slightly weak, but very good and sweet. Creamy sweet butterscotch dominant at this point, creamy backnote. Not really getting an “instant pudding” type flavor at this point, but it’s still early. Nice thick mouth feel. Almost like a creamy rich butterscotch candy. Could easily be a stand alone with proper steep I think. Will try again at 4 weeks. I think with normal steeping times that creamy aspect will really strengthen, and will move more in the pudding direction. Right now I would say 10-12% tank 8-10% dripper for single flavor, 4-6% in blends. Will update with further testing. I really really like this, having a hard time putting it down.

Peanut Butter Cookie: 10% @ 1 week steep. Slightly weak at this short steep, but still yummy! Weaker than other RF flavors I’ve tried so far. I can’t decide if it tastes more like cookie dough, or baked cookies? Maybe soft baked PB cookies just slightly on the doughy side? Nice natural tasting pb, not dry tasting at all. Sweet but not too sweet. Getting some kind of bright note, can’t quite place it yet? Maybe vanilla, but almost fruity? Will have to figure it out. Will update again at 4 week steep. Not sure of SF percentages yet. Will wait and see how much it strengthens with steeping, but not a strong/good S&V at 10%.

Cream Soda: 10% @ 1 week steep. This is a very delicate flavor. Very good creamy vanilla, not as sweet as the real thing. Definitely not a stand alone at this percentage. Not in your face flavor. Would be great as a creamy vanilla in blends. Going to try at 15% and see what happens, maybe also with some sweetener. I like it, hoping higher percentage and steeping brings it out more. Unless it strengthens with higher percentages and steeping, I wouldn’t use stand alone. Will update after further testing. Going to make an orange cream soda and see how it develops. That is what I wanted this flavor for.

Cream Cheese: 10% @ 1 week steep. This flavor really surprised me. Actually quite good, and strong flavor even at only a 1 week steep. Unusual for creams. Pretty authentic flavor, slightly tangy but still slightly sweet, doesn’t have that flatness and strong tanginess that you usually get from cream cheese. Sweeter than plain cream cheese, but like the natural sweetness of VG, not like a frosting sweet. I really like this, and I will be using it in a lot of recipes I’m sure. I’m thinking 3-6% in a mix. However, might lower that depending on how much it continues to strengthen with steeping. I won’t be using this stand alone, not because it’s a bad flavor, but because I don’t care for just eating plain cream cheese. It’s an accent flavor for me.

Vanilla Custard: 10% @ 1 week steep. Sweet vanilla cream. Very mild, not rich. Not surprised, as it’s custard and only been 1 week. No eggy taste to this, more cream than custard. Good, but not memorable. I like it as a vanilla cream type accent flavor, but need more from a custard. Will try again at 4 weeks, it needs steeping for sure. Might need to go 12-15% on this one for SF. I will update and rate after further steeping.

Sweetened Condensed Milk: 10% @ 1 week steep. Very authentic flavor especially in such a hard to find flavor. Sweetened milk with a nice rich thick mouth feel, with almost a hint of dulce de leche mixed in. Can’t wait to try this again at 4 weeks, assuming it will get noticably richer. Not a stand alone flavor for me, but oh what it will add to my mixes! I’m guessing 2-6% in blends.

Coconut Cream Pie: 10% @ 1 week steep. This is a delicious, sweet, creamy, strong and authentic flavored coconut cream pie. Even at only 1 week steep, it’s very well balanced to me. Great ratio of crust to creamy coconut filling, topped with thick layers of real whipped cream. I can easily see this as a stand alone ADV. Can’t wait to taste this at 4 weeks, I really like this one. I can see it being changed very easily as well depending on what you are in the mood for. An extra touch of sweetened coconut, or pie crust. Or even a touch of graham cracker to change it to a graham crust. Maybe even pineapple for pineapple coconut pie? Or Pina Colada. Mmmmmm, so good!

Cake Batter: 10% @ 1 week steep. Generic sweetness. I’m just getting a pleasant sweetness, and maybe if I concentrate really hard a hint of frosting? Not really sure, can’t pick up any specific flavor, it’s more than just sweetened VG, but indistinguishable at this point. Maybe this needs a full steep, will try again at 4 weeks, hopefully it will develop further. If it doesn’t change, I don’t really see a use for it.

Lemon Cake: 10% @ 1 week steep. This is very good, I really like it. It’s very flavorful at just 1 week, so might be a good S&V? I didn’t try, but I also never S&V, I always give a minimum of 24hrs for flavors to blend. Lemon pound cake glazed with sweet icing, also reminds me of the filling of lemon meringue pie just a little less tart. They did an excellent job with this one, well balanced with cake definitely there. Realistic slightly acidic lemon without being bitter or harsh. No window cleaner on this one. It’s very sweet. I could and will easily ADV this stand alone. I can also see it being great to make lemon cookies, or even a great base for a lemon meringue pie if you add a touch of lime for tartness, crust, and some meringue. I see a lot of uses for this in my future. I really hope the lemon stays prominent with steeping, so hard to find lemons that do. I would start at 2-4% in mixes. I will update at 4 week steep!

Orange Cream: 10% @ 1 week steep. I like this one as well. It is a very good realistic slightly sweet orange, not that artificial orange flavoring found in most orange creams. Smooth and no harsh throat hit at all. However, the cream is very light with a tiny hint of vanilla and hides behind the orange. Just get a hint of it on exhale. Hopefully the cream will strengthen with a normal 4 week steep as it’s a lovely flavor. If the cream doesn’t come out to play, I would tend to use this more as just a plain realistic orange. But I expect the creams to develop more with time, haven’t met one yet that doesn’t.

Cinnamon Custard: 10% @ 1 week steep. I’m in love! Even at only 1 week steep! Delicious warm sweet vanilla pudding with freshly ground cinnamon. As others have said, this is the same cinnamon as in their bread pudding. This reminds me very much of rich rice pudding with cinnamon, minus the rice. Creamy, thick, warm, OMG ADV stand alone flavor. Can’t wait to try this at a 4-8 week steep, I can only imagine. I need to make a lot of this or none will make it to a full steep. Did I mention I’m in love :wink: You must get if you are a custard lover like me. Or if you want an amazing cinnamon.

Blue Raz: 10% @ 1 week steep. Well, to be honest, I have never had blue raspberry. And I know that blue raspberry slushies probably tastes nothing like the real fruit, I have no clue. But this tastes very much like a blue raspberry slushie. Without being sickening sweet, nor artificial. I need to order Koolada. I bet it would take this over the top for summer. I’ve always been a custard and dessert vaper, so not sure where to go with it. It’s very good, just a bit out of my comfort zone. Will have to find my imagination for this one. Is a bright medium sweet berry, very different from all the usual berries when you want something to break the monotony.

Shamrock Shake: 10% @ 1 week steep. This is the first one from RF that disappointented me. It’s not a bad flavor, just not Shamrock Shake. I’m not sure if it’s because my expectations were too high. Or because this flavor needs a long steep to develop. I’m hoping it’s the latter, and wouldn’t be surprised if it is. Seems like most mints and creams need a good steep by themselves, much less together. On the inhale, of course is sweet mint. Not overwhelming, very good level. On the exhale I get a generic cream with maybe a hint of chocolate chips? I was looking for the in your face know right away shake. If someone handed me a tank of this to try, and I didn’t know what was in it, I would guess it is some type of creamy mint. If I try hard I can find hints of Shamrock Shake though, so I’m still hopeful. I will wait to rate until a longer steep.

These next 2 were tested on a COV Vengeance Tank, .2 ohm stock coil at 30W

Bread Pudding: Tested at 10 day steep 15% standalone. Very good, not too rich, could adv easily by itself. Flavor is good at this percentage, but deepens and strengthens a lot near the 4 week steep mark. Try at 3-4 weeks before raising percentage. Well balanced, just a light hint of cinnamon and really an authentic bread pudding. For my personal tastes would like a hint more vanilla. Would be great with a vanilla or caramel sauce, or topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Lots of possibilities with this one. I have noticed with this brand of flavorings that they really come out at/after 4 weeks. Probably because of the vg, but worth waiting for!

Pineapple Upside Down Cake: Tested at 10 day steep at 15%. Very sweet. In all fairness, I have found Real Flavors to get so much stronger and better with a month steep, probably because of the vg, This may end up being fantastic after a full 30 days. I will update notes when I get there.They nailed the cooked pineapple flavor aspect, but for stand alone it needs support. Has a sweet cooked pineapple with a slight background of cakeyness and hint of brown sugar. Good starting point, haven’t found that cooked pineapple flavor anywhere else. I think with some help from more yellow cake, a little richness from butter, and a bit of caramel and brown sugar to provide that caramelization it will be good. It is very sweet though, so the challenge will be to add the caramel and brown sugar without more sweetness. Might add a bit of FA Fresh Cream to tone down the sweetness and help with keeping the cake moist.

8 Likes

@MysticRose
Thank you!
Great review of flavours!
Can’t wait to try some out?

1 Like

Thank you. You won’t be sorry, I have been very impressed. And it surprised me as I had preconceived ideas that I would dislike VG flavors as they would be muted. Boy was I wrong :wink: They may require a bit longer to steep, but they are really good.

2 Likes

Much the same here regarding my thoughts on VG flavours,and I am steadily adding them to my stash!
What I have found in my very limited VG experience is that if I heat the base liquid first to 40 deg and add the already shaken flavours it really helps with the steeping.
Unsure if it’s my imagination but I do swear it helps to bring the taste out quicker?
Maybe some of the more experienced VG experts could confirm this?

@Walt_RealFlavors damn you for emptying my pockets! LOL
Quick question Walt, will the UK vendors be privy to your sample pack deals? Think it would help us this side of the pond?

3 Likes

Okay, so now that this concoction has steeped a week, I’m going to review the French Vanilla Cappuccino flavor.

VaporBase @ 3mcg Nicotine
8% French Vanilla Cappuccino
15ml Amber Bottle
Stored in cool and dark closet “space” created for Works In Progress

Hardware:
iJoy Solo Mini @ 37W
Indulgence Mutation X v5 - Taste Configuration for airflow
Dual Clapton Coil @ .4 Ohms
Fresh Bacon Bits v2 Wicking

Dripped, let soak for 2 minutes before beginning experiment

First Hit:
Woah… the cappuccino flavor punches you in the mouth… not overly strong… but definitely… present with an earthy coffee flavor. The exhale is light, definitely get some of that French Vanilla feel on the exhale… where on the inhale is all coffee.

Subsequent hits:
Coffee flavor does not diminish at all, French Vanilla gets a little stronger - but not by much.

My only complaint - the flavor is amazing, but it feels a little dry (for a lack of a better word), for something like this I’d would absolutely love a little more of a moist flavor - something to give it a bit of body. I’m open for suggestions to add to this.

All in all - great coffee body, nice exhale flavor… I can definitely see me vaping this in my car on an early shift day for work. My next test with this I may bump the flavoring to 9% just to see if that helps, or it just may need some more steep time. Will revisit this in a week and report if there are any other changes.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the review! I just can’t get into coffee vapes, never have been able to. Hubby loves them.

Ok, there are a couple of solutions to dry vapes, some works for some but not others. Sometimes it can be a particular flavoring just is dry, I have run into those.

Sometimes you can lower the percentage of flavoring used. Sometimes you can’t as it makes it too weak, but that is usually my first try. However, any marshmallow is one that can help add moisture to juice as well, but I do prefer FA, just personal preference. Usually better for desserts or sweet vapes. I usually keep it low .5-2%. INW Cactus or Kaktus is fantastic for adding juicyness to fruit vapes. Very very low or it will take over. Usually won’t change the flavor of a mix…I start at .25-.5%. Depending on the strength of the flavor it gives you a starting point.

Now this part is controversial depending on who you listen to. Differing opinions from many sources, google search followed by reading will lead you to a lot of threads on it if you want more info. And that is .9% sterile saline solution. I personally use 4% sterile saline in almost all my mixes. It’s not enough to affect flavors really, although some say it makes flavors pop for them. But, it is more moisturizing for your mouth and nasal passages. We all know pg and vg are both dehydrating, which is why all us vapers need to drink so much. I also have to fight as chemo has killed off my salivary glands, so I have chronic dry mouth anyway. There are also a lot of conditions that can cause dry mouth also, as well as a lot of medications too. I do always mix a tester with both no saline vs saline when trying new flavors as I test them alone anyway, and I want to insure it doesn’t affect flavors overall.

Anyway, I invite you to research and choose what works for you. I hope some of this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is a little more information concerning saline solution @dwdh586 .I agree with @MysticRose in that it is a controversial subject , I am thinking of giving it another try now that I am using Real Flavors and Vapor Base.

3 Likes

I have a huge shipment going out today to the UK :smiley: 12 crates!

I think they can do something with all that ha

4 Likes

Great!
I know Vapour Depot were putting in an order, would it be for them or Chefs Vapour?

Excellent assessment and writeup!!
Thanks for taking the time!

1 Like

But they dont send to Germany.

@MysticRose…being fairly new to DIY, I sure do appreciate the wealth of information shared by you and everyone else on this site. Thank you soooo much for @all of your contributions and sharing of knowledge. I hope to be as knowledgeable and able to contribute one day.

5 Likes