Rebuilding Commercial Coils

Hey there my friends, I came across a rebuild kit for the Caliburn by Uwell. The kit comes from Coil-Master and they have others as well. The could thing with this kit is you can use it on any coil you want as long as its a smaller MTL coil but if you get a different kit you can do different things.

15 Likes

Yeah, looked into it. Actually bought stuff to do coil for this reason before buying an rta.
And then, it is so much faster to build rta coils, that I never did it.
That said, with this whole stay at home business, it could be a way to pass time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Organic cotton pads ( muji?) seem to do fine. On the plus side, you can now make all your coils out of ss316, which is so much better an idea than kanthal.

3 Likes

Not just that but those plastic parts must wear out sooner rather than later too. I like my steel atties that will last a lifetime.
I appreciate the video because it shows people with those pods the way to other rebuildables :wink:

4 Likes

There is typically only one gasket/insulator part that would age. The rest looks like SS. I suspect this could well last about as long as the oring present close the chamber on many RTA.
Plus you typically have quite a few duds when you bother rebuilding cardtrige coils. Not a massive problem.

3 Likes

Sure, but o-rings are easy to replace, even if the whole vaping industry is taken out. Plastic tank around the coil will only last so long, especially if you keep opening it to rebuild.

4 Likes

I’m curious how the rebuilt coil performed, compared with an original factory coil.

Good video, Dan. Fill us in, after you’ve tested the rebuilt coil.

4 Likes

Jeez that brings back memories of rebuilding Kanger coils. Not sure if those are good or not.

4 Likes

Haha, I know right?

It’s finicky. Getting the cotton to tight will make it wick bad and to loose won’t go together. I admit that I was really quite excited about it and that has dissipated a bit but I plan on using those strips on another coil.

Truth

Let us know in this thread if you do anything with it.

They have several different kits… Oops, I guess all the kits are for pods but still I would get a mesh kit and rebuild some mesh coils. They don’t have to be the ones the kit is for.

Ya, I just never could get it just the way I wanted…

Thanks for the response my friends. Stay as safe as you can.

4 Likes

Stupid me used to rebuild coils for my Kanger SubTank until some kind soul on r/ecr pointed out that the tank came with an RBA head.

4 Likes

I just watched the video again and realized that I forgot to put the last scene in. Where I vape on the newly rebuilt coil. Do Y’all think that it should be in? I feel like it should be but I also don’t want to go through the hassle.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review and information. Always nice to see.

3 Likes

It would most certainly be a very informative addition. Even if you don’t want to start editing the video, just a short follow up would be nice.

4 Likes

Did someone delete a comment? I could have sworn that someone told me that Vaping Fagen did a vid on these.

I watched his vid and… I usually like his content but this time it sucked. I wanted to comment on his video so bad. “Hey all you Fagen fans I rebuilt the Caliburn and it aint even close to as hard to do as Fagen makes it sound.” But I can’t do that because it goes against what I believe to be right and wrong. In this instance it would be wrong for me to use his video to try and get views on my video. Even though that isn’t my intent (getting views), it appears to be my intent. Really i want the people saying it’s too hard to see that it ain’t to hard.

Anywho, I’ll do a

5 Likes

Me too. I rebuilt multitudes of Kanger/Evod Protank coils for my late wife, who dearly loved her Anyvape Davides on spinner type pen batteries. I only ever found one mod box she’d use. She said the others were too heavy. I could turn the rebuilt coils at 1.50 ohms with better cotton, and they always tasted better to her. Since she has passed the need no longer exists.

I’ve tinkered a couple of times with trying to rebuild the more complex new pre-built coils, but it never seems worth the trouble when I can get results as good or better with RBA tanks I’ve got that are much simpler to build.

3 Likes

@quadraginta Welcome to the forum and thanks for the response. I am sorry to hear that your wife has passed. I hope the pain will recede.

2 Likes

Thank you for that.

It’s been a year and a half, and her passing was not unexpected. She had been in bed under home hospice care for more than a year.

But I still miss her, and thinking about rebuilding coils for her was not unpleasant. Maybe a bit melancholy, but the memories are good ones.

8 Likes

[quote=“quadraginta, post:17, topic:240647”]
But I still miss her, and thinking about rebuilding coils for her was not unpleasant. Maybe a bit melancholy, but the memories are good ones.
[/quote
That puts a lump in my throat… and makes me want to help, I know there is nothing I can really do but I can at least send positive energy your way.

:slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Thank you for the thought. I’m okay. She went peacefully, at home in her own bed. It was something I had had time to ready myself for.

6 Likes

we need an emoji with a single tear :cry: there it is… Peace be with you…

5 Likes