Recipe Etiquette. Dos ,Donts and more

A couple years ago, I’ve kept it to myself and I can “relate”. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Now, About your recipe. Mixed it earlier this a.m. The only thing I had to sub was the CAP
Cookie Crumble. I used what I have which is WF Crumble Topping 1.5%. This smells
awesome and will give it some steep time of course! :+1:

6 Likes

No the guy who’s selling one shots is just from FB. The guy who sniped my toffee butter recipe and called it his is from a mixing show.

6 Likes

He sells nic, rebranded flavors, vg/pg, and clearly now, one shots . I don’t know if he used to have a business but I’ve seen some of the nic that people have bought. Let’s just say I hope he’s selling it cheap. It’s just the nature of the game I guess. It’s not like I was selling it. It’s just a grimy thing to do.

6 Likes

I would still complain to Flavorah (ATF). With the statement that they make to the poster of recipes. I know it’s not binding but they can still block him from ATF. Without giving credit it stealing. Why would anyone post a recipe at ATF if it’s being stolen?

8 Likes

Just wondering but what cc license did you put on it in ATF?

6 Likes

@Lynda_Marie, @rcleven, @McDuckie, @TakeMeToTheSea, @D.Sims, I’m going to have Fidalgo EXFIL this conversation to a new thread, as it seems like it’s pretty important, and needs it’s own thread. That way it can run continuous thread, uninterupted.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Isnt this the one i made private the other day? Or is it another?

I will make a recipe private if the original owner contacts me or i see a comment on the other side.

To everyone, please feel free to reach out to me with these issues.

6 Likes

This is the one

7 Likes

Oh jeez, I’ve been mind crafting the Banana / Toffee (Butter) combo myself… now I don’t even want to go there :joy: I’ll just mix up Lynda’s

9 Likes

Yep, that was a different one. I made it private with a message to link to or give a shout-out to the creator.

I dont remember which one i made private the other day but it was one you had also commented on.

Just give me a holler with any issues.

7 Likes

Those license agreements dont mean anything…

7 Likes

True the CC license does protect All the Flavors and their Parent company, but as far as ATF paying out huge court fees to get some one to stop stealing your recipes. NOPE NOT HAPPENING!!! Share at your own risk.

8 Likes

They do carry legal force if you really wanted to go after someone stealing your work

6 Likes

Recipes are not protected under copyright laws , there are some protections but not in any of these cases…

There are two main reasons why recipes cannot be trademarked: they are considered “useful articles” and “ideas.” Under U.S. law

Its a cute idea for a recipe site to attach to them …

In the US, a landmark case on recipes was Publications International vs Meredith, about a book of yogurt recipes by a famous international brand, where the court stated: “The identification of ingredients necessary for the preparation of each dish is a statement of facts.” So it seems copyright is not of much help,

13 Likes

This is how ive understood it as well.

A long time ago i decided that if i put something on the open web it is for anyone to do whatever they want with, not just recipes. But i completely understand why folks would want to protect or at least have credit given. I was pretty fierce about it at first, even sending some not so nice PMs in the early days.

8 Likes

True that! Flavorah has to take some responsibility though. ATF was a dead business before Flavorah took it over. They don’t need the bad publicity. It’s about time they did take the responsibility of policing their site. It would be a headache for them but it gets them a lot of good publicity. People stop publishing recipes that’s a lot of good will lost.

9 Likes

Yes , 100pct …I agree …I think we had this talk with @DarthVapor about recipes and copyright years ago…Now a company that has a trademark can come to this site and have a “clone” taken down if it say Cuttwood Unicorn Milk if cuttwood name is trademarked but none of us who post a recipe on any site are not protected by copyrigght law just because we attach the copyright law .

8 Likes

I do remember that discussion well, i think he slapped me out of it and did me a great favor. It comes up from time to time, always happy to discuss it.

And to my knowledge we have never been requested to take down a recipe in any legal fashion, but ive spent a lot of time away.

7 Likes

I always assumed that the Copyrigght option on ATF was for fun , just something to make the recipes look better like adding pics and descriptiin etc etc…I never thought anyine would think the recipes were actually legally protected…

7 Likes