[REQ] The Schwartz Downside - Blueberry Yogurt

Cloning yes - I have 3 of them I have done with relative success and one of them took 6 months. I am still trying to find a clone recipe for Alpha’s Chronos. I worked on it for 3 months and gave up.

1 Like

Did you ever figure this one out? TFA Greek yogurt, BB Extra + wild & tfa meringue is as close as i’ve got, FW BB is very good also, would love to get close on this one tho as its one of my favorites. Another that truly eludes me is the berry flavor in Stars N’ Bucks(Drip Co)'s Frappberry its extremely unique.

1 Like

been a long time still, anyone ever have luck with this? I’ve been trying forever… i’ve made some decent alternatives to downside but still crave the OEM version lol. I get kinda close but by then i have alot of flavors and its very heavy… downside is very light, airy and crisp imo… if anyone has any good insight let us know please =)

1 Like

Now I think I am putting this in the right spot.

Ingredientml Grams %
Nicotine juice 48 mg (100% VG)1.88 2.37 6.27
PG dilutant6.30 6.5321.00
VG dilutant17.62 22.2258.73
Total base25.8 31.1286
Blueberry TFA (Extra)1.201.204.00
creamy yoghurt (CAP)1.501.505.00
Dairy Milk (TPA)0.600.602.00
Super Sweet (CAP)0.300.301.00
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (CAP)0.600.602.00
Totals30 35.32100

So this was my first attempt at blueberry yogurt. Steeped 2 weeks, decent blueberry, soft yogurt on the inhale and too sweet. Currently steeping was today’s v2

Nicotine juice 48 mg (100% VG)1.88 2.376.27
PG dilutant4.80 4.9816.00
VG dilutant19.12 24.1263.73
Total base25.8 31.4786
Blueberry TFA (Extra)1.201.204.00
creamy yoghurt (CAP)1.501.505.00
Dairy Milk (TPA)0.600.602.00
Greek Yogurt (CAP)0.750.752.50
Super Sweet (CAP)0.150.150.50
Totals30 35.67100

Hoping to up the yogurt and lower the sweet, I’ll keep you posted

1 Like

Of course this drives me to distraction, something I spend too much time thinking about and too little time trying to hammer out in “the lab”. There’s so much tasty juice out there, but this was my original fascination and what landed me here on ELR. I’ve been thinking about it “strategically” and applying some of the assumptions we have agreed upon re: Commercial e-juice …based on what commercial e-juice Makers have told us on ELR.

First. It’s likely all the flavors come from one Vendor like Capellas or TPA (there are others). I am tipping in favor of TPA. Second. I am thinking that the unobtainable yogurt I experienced in 2015 …before the Diacetyl Scare, may have also been more the source of the Yogurt craze and as such is likely not a yogurt at all …I mean a flavor pairing that doesn’t have the words “Yogurt” on the label. More likely a pairing of Dairy and Sour.

Richocet. So I made Tacos this week, but as I was about to serve, discovered I had no Sour Cream. I took some Greek Yogurt and added Buttermilk B00M Sour Cream. Other than a wee grainyness it was just like Sour Cream. I lean towards giving The Schwartz mixologists the credit for making Yogurt Vapes a thing …translation, there were no Yogurt flavoring extracts available in 2014 (?guessing)? The Downside created the Yogurt flav extract demand …because no one figured it out.

Diacetyl. My last bottle of The Downside was on the heels of the “Scare” and The Downside was on the list as one of the highest “offenders” and was being ditched by my local Vape Shop(s). I bought the last bottle off the shelf at a steep discount and it was the last bottle of perfection. I bought one more bottle several months later and in my opinion it seemed “reformulated” …my last bottle.

I have chased that one silly pure perfection experience for two years, it’s their yogurt …it’s not yogurt. Oh it tastes exactly like yogurt, but I’m pretty sure it some precise pairing …and TPA (the Blueberry). So back to the clues. Highest Diacetyl scoring dairy flavor by TPA? Vanilla Custard? VBIC? Sour (TPA)? Blueberry (Extra) (TPA)? Maybe some BB Wild to round it out …but it was such a simple vape, I bet it’s only like 3-4 flavs

@AZSweetwater I think you’re close. Drop the SuperSweet. Drop the Yogs. Just try to make yogurt no BB. Dairy Milk + VBIC + Sour …Dairy Milk + Vanilla Custard + Sour Best of luck! Will check back in 6 months :wink:

2 Likes

7% FW Blueberry, 5% FW Yogurt, 1% TFA Greek Yogurt, 0.5% CAP Super Sweet… Also, I think Shwartz or whoever may have used the old FA Yogurt, magic stuff that was.

1 Like

it really seems as simple as like: 4% fw yogurt 6% fw blueberry and like plenty of sweetener, it seems pretty dead on to my bottle of downside right now… its insane how close it is, and using fw yogurt and blueberry in other recipes i dont know how i couldnt correlate the two and this, as i’ve been playing with all sorts of blueberry/yogurt combos for a long time, give that a try tho… i’m using about .9-1% cap super sweet and its awesome, shake & vape tastes just like schwartz downside

3 Likes

I have 10 Blueberries and NO Flavorwest …sigh

1 Like

…and buump. Man! I’m up to v9 of my Downside wormhole an almost 5 year long quest. I decided to take an archaeological approach. I believe this was an accidental discovery by the original Mixer/Company …and it was sublime. I don’t know for sure, but I doubt the yogurt flavorings common in the last few years were available 7 years ago. Also there weren’t so many companies pumping out vape flavorings (of any kind).

It’s hard for me to expect help from you guys as this is all in my head …my remembrance of an e-juice from 2015. There has already been some great discussion about Blueberry and I learned so much …some of these folks are missed in 2020

“Archeological approach”? So I have been focusing on flavors and companies that were dominant at the time. Companies that could deliver sufficient quantities for commercial production at the time and I’m looking at TFA. The blueberry is not the problem, it’s that thick creamy sour yogurt. I’m vaping some of my V9 and while it needs a little more steep time, my clone guess looks promising. Avaiable? Popular 7 years ago? Highest acetoin e-juice? I think Schwartz may have been tinkering with a Blueberry Cheesecake and BB Yogurt was invented instead.

I’ll leave it here …I’m moving, so a little busy. I’m still on my archaeological dig, but V9 is kinda tasty. I mixed it in my tank with some Muffin Man [clone] and it’s BB Muffins :wink:

3 Likes

Pop up your first recipe and then your last one, BoDarc… will look at it and see what I think… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you ever used Bilberry (FA)?

3 Likes

Thanks @anon84779643 and @muth and I will be getting back. I have a moving truck showing up in a couple days, so no time. I have to say the Ye Old Blueberry Wild and Blueberry Extra combined make a solid BB. I think the problem folks have is using too much of each …more on my ratio later (not my own just a common recommend)

In my archaeological dig I’m actually trying to use older standards, and I know Bilberry is one of those, and has been in a prior version. One of my main problems is the 4 week steep, so testing and focus gets procrastinated. The hard target is a thick (mouthfeel) creamy MILK that’s got that yogurt tang. Also “The Downside” was one one of the highest Acetoin juices when that started to be a thing being investigated …that’s the horn sticking up from the dirt …choosing flavors with warnings :wink: …back in several days. Hey? I’m taking a vape break right now …Oh footsteps …back to work!

3 Likes

I want to say a mix of lo tfa and cap… I dont think fa was in the picture either at that time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have been working on cloning this for few years this is as close as I got to it

FW Blueberry 9%
FW Creamy Yogurt 7%
FW Greek Yogurt .75%
1% supersweet

5 Likes

Thanks @peter_penguin. I have suddenly also recently re-ignited my aging quest. One thing I have learned over the years is that exact cloning …as in learning the exact recipe of the original becomes meaningless. Really just making an enjoyable Blueberry Yogurt is fine enough of a goal. My personal problem is that “The Downside” was the best thing I had ever vaped …in my little crappy subohm tooter. For me it was spot on, like vaping the food. A notion that still drives many folks …me included.

The recipe changed back when all the uproar over A/P was driving Manufacturers to remove high-acetoin flavorings along with the emergence of all those V2 flavorings (2015-2016?) The Downside came back from Testing and showed the second highest A/P numbers of all the juices being tested. I have always leaned on that nugget as a cloning clue! That modified (safe?) The Downside no longer hit the mark and I only purchased it that one last time …but then found myself here.

I’ve made gallons of many recipes since then, and my “quest” kind of shriveled on the vine …although always on the back burner. Just now (before reading this!) I just whipped up my latest, so it needs some steep time, but now I have 5 years of DIY experience and several hundred flavorings. Along with too many hours gleaning micro-details from both Blueberry and Yogurt recipes for those hard-learned flavor “poppers” from seasoned Mixers.

Earlier this week I blended up a standalone Plain Yogurt and it’s promising. I definitely see your FW approach, but I decided to try and stay with a One Vendor approach. Still locked onto that “uncracking” of the original. The idea being that Schwartz (Vendor) likely would be getting the base ingredients from one place at that time …not necessairly true of course, but this is also Detective work in my mind. My current mix is almost true to an all TPA flavor option.

I’ve tried lots of Yogurts and Dairy/Creams and Blueberries, but the Schwartz The Downside haunts me …maybe you too. Thank you so much for popping up at just the right time. I just might have to give your recipe a try! I hope to have something myself soon.

4 Likes

I vaped downside exclusively for 3 or 4 years I didn’t mind the remix but the og was where its at I used old bottles and my nose to get the profile down it took me years to get remotely close though. the key is the fw blueberry nothing else smells quite like it and after smelling back and forth theres no doubt thats the blueberry so I took the one vendor approach but did so with FW. I might experiment with different yogurts to see what comes out but so far I got downside back in my life

4 Likes

I’ll take your word for it and def give the recipe below a try (copied for convenience from just above). Pretty sure I had a FW attempt but I didn’t get dedicated to finding the right percentages. I’m very focused on the right “milk” as one of the flavor notes I enjoyed …more to come.

3 Likes

This is driving me a bit nuts :wink: …short drive. I haven’t ordered Vape hardware online for a couple years. I have a wide selection of local vape shops which I prefer to support. A recent purchase was 2X (deep discounted) 100ml Kilo Kiberry Yogurt. For the unfamiliar that’s Strawberry Kiwi Yogurt. It’s been enjoyable to vape exclusively and is almost gone. It has been an education too, flavor-wise, and Kiberry is just as OG as The Schwartz.

Reflecting back on one of my historical perspectives that The Downside was discontinued (even pulled from shelves, Vape shop owners told me at the time, as the reason I could no longer buy) because that recent (old!) analysis of popular e-juices of the day, during the A/P panic (5 years ago), where The Downside was the 2nd highest “offender”. Many ELR Members have called BS on those old Popc0rn Lung claims, and it’s not my worry either today. After 200mls of Kiberry Yogurt now that historical fact about The Downside is even more of a clue! I have no info re: %s in Kiberry

To repeat from above, I’m not that sure there were any “Yogurt” flavorings available or popular back in those times. I think the Downside made a market for Yogs or at least popularized them. Kiberry Yogurt has some of the things I liked about The Downside, and these Kiberry flavors are more distinct …mostly because I am not going from memory and my Vape palette is more trained. My main problem has been the results when Blueberry mixes with target Yogurt bases …everything changes …and it’s a month long steep for what is basically a high% cream recipe.

One of the reasons I don’t really look for detailed help or hand-holding is this is such a personal quest absolutely from memory. Thanks to folks that have reached out, and so glad to have @peter_penguin voice his similar quest …and his recipe is good. However, everything changed this month after guzzling 200 mls of Kilo Kiberry. As I believe I said above, The Downside was an accident or more accurately Serendipity. I don’t believe a Mixer sat down and said “I’m making a Blueberry Yogurt!”

So profile I’m looking at is a heavy (milky) cream which has a sour grainyness with a simple bright BB. My insanity is driven by the notion this should be SO EASY.

I’m tinkering with a new path. Cream with the highest “bad stuff”? Vanilla Ice Cream (LB) to hit the max D/AP%

In Kiberry the Kiwi is noticeably sour. Also I think Whipped Cream, detectable in Kiberry, delivers a certain grainyness …that powdery sugar note combined with sour makes thick creamy yogurt? My suspicion is there is no “yogurt” in either recipe and the serendipity was someone trying to make a BB/Kiwi-based recipe (Milkshake?) The heavy LB cream with sour fruit and Whipped Cream result in a “yogurt”, any Vanilla should work great with BB. I mean we can ask Kilo, but I suspect there’s zero Yogurt(Anybody). After all the Yogurts I’ve experimented with, NONE of those flavors live there. Also the number one reason The Downside defied cloning …folks were always adding some yogurt flavoring.

As I await my Game Changer homogenizer I’m totally changing direction. Of course there are other ways to get the right sour, but the sour (Malic?) used in something like Kiwi (Double) (TPA) will be easy to uncover …and there’s always just Sour (TPA)

Ok back to work …thanks for hanging in …a long strange journey it’s been. Shout outs to the Folks at Kilo, an honest non-Vendor non-affiliated recommend, from a guy who hasn’t bought Commercial juice in 5 years …Kiberry is clearly a market-proven tasty product with a long history of success. You don’t need my endorsement :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Maybe you want to pick up there:

Unfortunately the original site doesn’t seem to function anymore.

3 Likes

Pinterest!? Pascal a bit genius. Anybody know the story of LeDIY? [Note to self: back up your site]

1 Like