Restocking Flavors - Time On The Shelf

Thank you Amy. And thanks for the link. Speaking of links…the reason I started this thread was a perceived link between the diminished flavor of that Subliminal mix I made and the time factor. Yeah, to me it just reasons that time is no friend to flavor whether they be natural or synthetic. I’m sure some of the big commercial juice companies know this to a greater degree, although I will say I’ve yet to see a bottle of commercial juice with a “best when used by” date. Maybe some do this I just haven’t seen it.

They have to. Taste is dependent on smell.

1 Like

the reason i say this is because of the high potency in extracts / concentrates , i smell a can of black olives when i am smelling blueberry MF but i dont taste that , also take vienna cream nail polosh smell but not nail polish taste , but in most things your right 100 pct , tpa says flaves dont go bad they change due to loss of molecules fruits having smaller ones so your flave changes quicker than creams and such , thats why i would test single flave instead of depending on smell

Ahh, I understand what you’re saying now. I wouldn’t necessarily toss a flavor over smell alone. Definitely nothing I like and use frequently.

You reminded me of an incident this summer. I made some ice cream and added some strawberry flavoring to it. It was fantastic but I wanted some color. My wife had some food coloring so I grabbed what I thought was red and added a touch. It looked red when I dripped it onto the batch but as soon as I started stirring it the real color appeared. Yes, I ate yellow colored strawberry ice cream :slight_smile:

3 Likes

lmao thats funny , im doing some inventory as well and will be giving away some flaves like strawberry shortcake FW things like that when i went crazy and bought because it was what i wanted to make and thought the flave bearing the name would help and as we all know NOPE it doesnt help AT ALL learning lessons i do use these flaves for my friends who like anything i make because it is better than most commercial stuff lol

I only have a couple flavors that have seen more then 6 months in my flavor kit. I make juice for myself and 2 of my friends so I go though the stuff pretty regularly. But I wouldnt suggest keeping flavors longer than a year no matter the situation.

Surprisingly I have some flavors that are over 3 years old that are just fine IMO. We keep lot records for 3 years and at the end I like to pull “expired” ones out to play with. Just for personal use but honestly I never had an issue. (I have no clue about others, this is just from my personal experience)

3 Likes

Something else to be concerned with is citric or any acidic flavors. If they sit for an extended amount of time in a plastic container, there is due to be some breakdown.

Just something to add to the equation.

1 Like

Plastics are inert to acid? Remember acid is h+ nothing to work with in plastic. They’ll be fine.

Reading my mind Pentine!

I was going to chirp up on that but got sidetracked in another thread.

I just recently (BF) bought two gross of 2 dram glass bottles with poly cone lined lids. Literally just got done converting the majority of the plastic bottles. I’ve already gone through a full gross! That’s right. 144 glass bottles already used! ><

I’ll say this though…it was educational! You really find out quick who’s pulling the wool over on amounts. And who are giving you what you paid for! (And sometimes extra!)

Anyways, I’ve been a vocal proponent for those vendors that use glass from day one, with just this topic in mind. I’ll be interested to see how the dust settles on this one. Especially now that I’m at the 200 flavor mark. This is no longer “just a hobby”. It’s an investment. LMAO Like I didn’t have enough of those already… (electronics test equip, guitar gear, mechanics tools… Etc) Thank God I’m done “hunting for hardware”. =P

Less than a year in, and 200 flavors. Sheesh. What a revolting development.

2 Likes

Don’t think of acids eating through everything it touches. It’s a fussy eater?

Lol. Naaah. Was just agreeing with his pointing out such others like malic acid, etc.

I was more talking about the aspect of leeching, and things along those lines. Premature decomp due to air through plastic, etc.

Very funny though!

Oh, you were specific about acids being worse. Well that’s definitely how it read.

I don’t want people rushing out to get more expensive glass under the impression that acids were a problem and wasting money for an incorrect information.

Leeching and plastic is a complex story. Nutshell, some cheap plastic shit was leeching nasty shit into the foods & liquids they were storing. Industry, picked up its game along with marketers (assholes) and now you pay an extra premium to be safe. Decent plastic will be fine.

Yikes! Upon rereading, I can easily see why you would think that. And I’m not sure how I missed it (other than the usual way my mind hits one thing, and launches off into a tangent by correlation).

I was definitely not trying to suggest that flavors would eat through plastic bottles! Glad you stopped that idea cold. Sorry for the leap that lost anyone!

There’s still some cheap plastic on use out there by vendors that rebottle. When you can still smell the flavour that was in the bottle, after a thorough soap wash, and hour+ in the UC, IMO leeching has definitely occurred. Especially these days, as concentrates have gotten stronger! That’s why I switch to glass. (And incidentally, the main reason). I’m thinking I could also be extending shelf life, but that remains to be seen/proven. :wink:

Good one mate! Are you a long-time mixer. If so PM me a really nice Orange Cream recipe. My head has been contemplating those flavours for the last hour or so. Be interesting to see what an experienced person would come up with and what brands to use. But I don;t want to hijack thread. So Hit me up If you got one.

Sorry, very much a “recent entry” as well. Been at it for 9 months now, but doing an Orange Julius is near the top of my list as well! :wink:

Feel free to hit me up (shout out, pm, whatever) if you find a winner!

My only orange so far was Inawera, and while the flavour was great, far too much TH for me! (even at 1%). Flavor was best at 2% though IMO. I’m just getting into creams, so can’t comment much there.

Frank Zappa would say “don’t…”

On cheap plastic bottles… I saw a YT where they were expounding on the virtues of recycling and as an example showed some girl in India scouring the landfill for PET used/empty yogurt cups. That white plastic is easily melted with acetone and then reused for another product [shiver]. With all the cheap bottles we find online how many are made from virgin plastics?

1 Like

Understood. That’s acetone though. No-ones using acetone in there vape plastics. Plastics as an environmental issue is a shitstorm. But for our purpose bloody awesome. Use it as long as possible reduce your waste, use it till the cap won’t screw on and that’s the best we can do.

There are other options for storage which may be better environmentally. Glass as you stated, be interesting to find out what material is functional for our needs and the lowest environmental impact. No idea. All have pros and cons and I have no data that I know of. And terribly I don’t worry about it as much as I definitely should.

Where did you purchase your glass bottles? I’m Currently not too happy with the poly cone caps I got from glassbottle outlet. They screw down too hard and it seems like they expand and let air in.

The ones I actually ordered are:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011ITGX6Q/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4_w

And were sold by “Mara Worldwide” but have since been “discontinued”

[quote]Currently unavailable.
We don’t know when or if this item will be back in stock.[/quote]

The next closest I found was:

And while I can’t attest to the quality of the second offering, the batch I actually purchased was quite good quality. I did have 1 broken vial (shipping damage), and 3 vials missing the poly cone liner. But I figure for the price, and the rest being in good order, I don’t care! Almost posted it in good deals, but bottles are so hit and miss, that I figured I’d wait to see how they pan out.

1 Like

i just went over the 200 mark today congrats lmao , the funny thing is i only use 30 or so consistently

3 Likes