Stainless Steel Coil Method

I haven’t used SS wire yet so I can’t really comment on that. As far as spaced vs contact coils it really comes down to flavor preference in the atomizer you’re using. For instance, I preferred using spaced 26 gauge kanthal builds in my Kanger Sub-tank mini. For that particular atomizer it gave off better flavor to me and that was purely due to the atomizer. When it comes to coil size, resistance and coil type i.e. spaced/contact/Clapton, etc… it really depends on the atomizer you’re using. It’s the chamber size and airflow into the atomizer that really make the difference when it comes to what you will enjoy using in it for a coil. Heat and air will ultimately determine your flavor. I hope this makes sense and helps.

2 Likes

I use a similar method but I dunk the coils into a tiny container of water just deep enough to cover the coils. I repeat it a few times until they are nice and shiny. I don’t do the faucet method cuz I’m afraid water may get into the mod. I’m a bit of a clumsy easily distracted dolt. For Ti coils I have a toothbrush handy to gently scrub the gunk off after pulsing it with 10 watts. Bada boom, bada bing we be clean.

3 Likes

I use my aromamizer daily, I run dual coil build with 24g kanthal. 2.5mm or even 3mm will fit (tight fit but doable) Bout 7 wraps on each puts me close to .3ohm. I vape with this set up at about 55 watts, give or take a few depending on what flavors in vaping on. The clouds and flavor are great, since going subohm, its unlikely ill ever use 1ohm+ coils again… 0.15 to 0.5ohm is the best for me tho my 22g Ti dual coils are usually around .08ohm, but I hardly ever use them, as the 22g is just not pleasant to work with in the aromamizer, can’t fit enough wraps to lower resistance on a dual coil Ti build… Constantly have issues of the coils grounding out on the housing and stuff…

2 Likes

I have recently moved to SS and spent some time reading up on contact vs spaced after being advised on the Cream Crave facebook site. All agreed with Zagz about the fluctuating resistance using SS in tc. I am using single 317l 26g at .4ohm vertical coil at 48w and 420F. I prefer the flavour when using dual .4ohm coils but had a job keeping up with recharging batteries and making juice. I think the flavour using SS surpasses any other wire I have tried.

4 Likes

OK…coils for the velocity style deck…Looking for flavor and have seen videos of a variety of builds…I typically have built single coil builds…Dragon Coil inside posts?..Vertical coil/slanted outside posts ?..Horizontal Coil splitting the uprights (posts)?..Which do you experienced builders prefer for flavor production?..Suggestions?

What would you like to know?

While I wait on that answer, let me give you a rundown of what I’m doing.

Most tanks I build dual 22ga Titanium. Always spaced.
Aromamizer, Ohmega, TFV4 (TF-R2), all get 6.5 wraps on 2.5mm ID.
Griffin, Moonshot, Diablo all get 6.5 wraps on 3mm ID.

When I’ve built with SS it’s been varied and with success. I’ve built with twisted 26ga 316L, standard spaced and contact using 316L and 317L, and I’ve outfitted a couple of single coil RTAs with it as well, all ran great on the DNA. Where I’ve had the most trouble with SS in TC is with non-DNA mods.

2 Likes

Thank you and that covers it all for the most part. I have had great success until recently with 22 Ti as well.It seems Unkamen has went and changed wire suppliers and now I can’t get his wire to work.I have recently been trying Ti from Lightning Vapes and so far so good.
Have you had to source any Ti lately and if so I would love to know where?
The SS I have had issues with all along ,I have only used 316L and have been using the file for that.It works but I find that I get a better vape from running in strictly power mode as the ohms seems to change often and will result in the T/C kicking in and getting a very weak vape.
The past few days I have tried different builds using mainly contact coils but I am going to try spacing them to see if that helps.The SS wire I have been using is from Lightning Vapes, I have had better luck with it than wire from Unkamen and Wotofo.
Thanks again for the help!

No, last purchase of 22ga Ti has lasted me a good long time because I’ve been cleaning and reusing coils. Funny, just last week I rebuilt several tanks one day just for the hell of it. Nothing really needed to be changed but they were getting to the point I couldn’t get them back to a bare metal look. They stayed black. Anyway those builds lasted me from Jan 2 till just the other day. I rebuilt 2 Aromamizers, a Griffin, Lemo, TF-R2 and Moonshot. Used maybe 18" off my roll and still have probably 15’ left. So it’s going to be a minute before I need to by again. Sorry to hear that about Unkamen’s Ti wire. Did you contact him? I’ll be he’d like to know this. At the same time suppliers shouldn’t matter if it’s truly grade 1.

Never a problem with my SS from Unkamen either, but I’ve not used it that much or often. Well let me say no problems with the DNAs. Plenty of issues with the other mods I have that will do SS. I’ve basically decided not to use SS again for TC since I’ve been so happy with Ti. Only if I just was bored or whatever. It’s a good wire for power mode though, no doubt about that.

2 Likes

I did and got the same response as @Pro_Vapes , Unkamen said it was the same wire. PV was the first to notice the problems with the wire.
The wire I got from him would show the correct ohms as grade 1 but it would gain in resistance the more it was used and that would throw out the T/C.At first I blamed it on the cold winter temps but after spring’s arrival I discovered that it is a wire issue.
I will try and find the thread that PV started back a couple of months ago.
Unkamen Titanium Wire?

1 Like

I missed that thread PV made. I’m going to reply over there on that thread…so check that out. It may help…it may not.

1 Like

Funny how this thread about SS has turned into a lot about Ti.

Evolution.

1 Like

:thumbsup:

I enjoy using 316L in my RDA’s on my temp control mods. I run dual spaced 26ga 316L, 3mm 9 wrap, ohms out to around .32, vape at around 440-470 degrees. I enjoy a somewhat cooler vape and I find the flavor to be very good.

2 Likes

I appreciate every ones’ input…Thank you all… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this will be a repeat question. On a 316ssl build can you run that safety in power mode?

Yes I run all my ss on power mode

3 Likes

I run my SS in power mode too.

2 Likes

Odd question. Why do a lot of the online retailers not carrying stainless steal wire?

Reasons I can see. Most mods didn’t support SS for TC until recently and many still don’t. You can use SS in power mode, but I’m not sure how much market demand there was for it. Also, cost as there are many varieties in SS. Kanthal, Nichrome, Nickel and Titanium you just have to stock the variety of sizes. SS you have the variety of alloys as well : 304, 316, 316L, 317L, 430, etc. Multiply that by all the sizes too and it can be quite an investment with many varieties not selling very well. It’s just recently that many mods are starting to support 316L as a standard which makes it easier on retailers.

3 Likes