Stainless Steel Wire in Power/Wattage Mode?

A basic question, but can’t really find my answer with the search. Can I use stainless steel wire for my rda builds in power mode? Not really interested in TC. I typically run simple kanthal claptons. Do you find you need to run a little less wattage with stainless over kanthal? If I run, say, dual kanthal claptons with a total ohmage of around 0.3 ohms at 80 watts or so, would stainless of the same ohmage require about the same watts, or less? I understand it ramps up much quicker. Sorry for this basic question, but i’m curious and wouldn’t mind trying some out. Thanks!

4 Likes

You can use it in power mode. I never use Kanthal as it tastes slightly metallic to me. Right now I have dual coil SS claptons in my engine, ohming out at 0.15 and sitting at 85 watts in TC. I just switched over to power and it’s exactly the same.

4 Likes

You sure can, and it works great! Just never run Ti wire in wattage mode.

5 Likes

I use 304 SS in both TC and Power mode. I prefer the taste over Kanthal or NiChrome. The ramp up time is really a function of resistance and mass. If you build matching 6 wrap 26ga coils on a 3mm rod from Kanthal and stainless the stainless will have a lower resistance and ramp up faster. If you build the two coils to a specific resistance the stainless coil will need more wraps or a larger inner diameter and will therfore have more mass and require more power to ramp up quickly.

7 Likes

Yup… SS in power mode, is pretty much how I roll most of the time. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

VERY interesting, I hate temp control, personally but was really interested in using it as it seems more stable as well as cleaner burning (and perhaps lasts longer?..).

Have some SS but it is a ridiculous diameter of Clapton, so I could only fit like 2 or 3 wraps, blegh.

Will have to try getting some more, it was my assumption that ALL temp control wire was meant to be used in temp control mode. Thanks @Lostmarbles for the clarification that it is only Ti that is meant to be run in temperature control mode.

3 Likes

Ni200 is temp control only as well

5 Likes

Ah, thank youuuuuuuu.

Hey, thank you all! Truly do appreciate the excellent advice I find on here by you fine folks. Have been really interested in that new Kylin rta and was thinking some nice stainless fused or stapled claptons would do real well in that. So I will definately give it a shot! Thanks!

2 Likes

Ordered some stainless steel wire shots and some ss premade fused claptons from Advanced Vape Supply today. This is going to be interesting! Thanks for all the good info!

4 Likes

Did you get the coils or spools? I buy their clapton wire on spools and feel like this is some really good wire. Very clean.

I’ve been using this stuff almost exclusively for a few months now - in both power and TC. Where a lot of folks have TC issues, I often wonder if it’s TC itself of the mod they’re using. Because I can vape a dual 316 clapton setup in TC mode and get just as good a vape as anything else. I don’t want to start a TC or NO TC debate, just saying the wire from Advanced is great and TC with it works perfectly.

2 Likes

SS and NiChrome is all I use these days and I only use VW never TC, cleanest tasting wire IMO

1 Like

I usually coil my own, but this time decided on the premade. Had heard alot of great reviews on the Advanced Vape wire, so good to hear you guys use and like it

1 Like