Tips wanted for wading into the "slightly complex" recipes arena?

Lol. Thank you.
I would have given up a couple months ago if I wasn’t honestly enjoying learning the majority of the SA flavors… I was trying to think forward for a bit to get my mind out of the temporary doldrums (created by my inadvertently self-inflicted mistake) that are trying to squash my “happy factor”.

Also, I should have said above that I “completely agree” that it’s necessary, not so much that I hate doing it! It only became “evil” when I made a poor (uninformed) decision testing too many in the same category, at the same time. Live and learn!

If nothing else, hopefully someone else doesn’t have to share my experience (the temporary frustration) by having read this thread!!

1 Like

Ok @Sprkslfly, I happen to be working on a complex recipe at the moment. It’s not public yet but I will share it here on your thread even thought it’s a tad bit more than “slightly complex.” I tweaked this one yesterday and re-edited it today and mixed it. I am letting it sit for a few days and I’m hoping it ends up being what I’ve been chasing.

All mixers keep in mind that this is still a tester and I only put this up for observation only at this time. It probably is good as is but I will not know if this is final till I try it out in a few days.

AP, Tiramisu, Jamaica Rum, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Milk Chocolate,Chocolate Malt, Caramel and Cocoa are in this recipe for all of the Chocolate notes. Chocolate Fudge Brownie and AP were put in for texture and flavor, the rest of just the Chocolate flavors are based on my Chocolate Liquor base I developed last year. I pulled this project back out over the summer, my break from frustration was over so I hope it stays over. Fingers crossed…

3 Likes

17 flavors. That’s almost GOT to be a record! Lol

That screenshot is the exception to the rule though IMO. It shows in part, what I’m asking about, and then, in other ways, shows several of what strike me as “full flavor levels” (at least from what my smidgen of experience with FA leads me to think), some give “indication of the cut-down percentage” I referred to above (TFA/Cap/FW), but overall, this recipe in particular doesn’t share the ideal example of why I asked. This just looks more like a master at work in the lab (though a bit hopped up on sugar. I keed, I keed! Seriously, 17?? o.0 -I’d get arrested just trying to look over the fence into your world! LMAO)

Perhaps your “exception to the rule” was what you were trying to point out? Or, perhaps it was just to illustrate the point that "hope is not lost for having a complex recipe, while maintaining the 80% thing…
/I could use a little more voltage for the old Lightbulb here bud! lol

There have been more than a few recipes I’ve seen that were like 2/2/1.5/1/2% on things that would be (in my SA) range of anywhere from 4-8% in the majority of others (having already discounted the folks that use 12-15% SA’s as being inappropriate for me) hence why I asked. :wink:

1 Like

Nope. I don’t know if this is the record, though…

The 18

Ingredient%
Bavarian Cream (TPA)1.5
Biscuit (INAWERA)1
Catalan Cream (FA)1
Cheesecake (LA)1.2
Coconut Milk (LB)2
Cookie (Biscotto) (FA)2
Cream Cheese Icing (LA)0.8
Cream Fresh (FA)0.8
Cream Whipped (FA)1
Creme Brulee (INAWERA)1
Custard (FA)0.5
Italian Cream (Hangsen)0.8
Meringue (FA)0.5
Nugat (INAWERA)1.5
Sweet Cream (CAP)0.6
Vanilla Custard (Flavorah)1.5
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)1
Vienna Cream (FA)1.5

Flavor total: 20.2%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!
3 Likes

Probably @DarthVapor’s Insanity has the record, can’t even page snapshot it.

5 Likes

Lol, the record for the biggest faux recipe maybe :wink: I can’t take the record for the biggest recipe on that one haha

4 Likes

Seriously… WTF? I’d have to take 3 or 4 breaks while mixing a single bottle. :grinning:

Ok @Sprkslfly, I’ll try giving you a little more voltage for you lightbulb, don’t hold me to it though.

I do try to keep recipes flavor percent at a maximum of 20% in complex recipes. I like to keep them in the 10% to 15% range whenever possible. Sometimes though, to complete complexity 15% won’t do in certain recipes.

I have already explained the Chocolate notes in my previous message so I’ll explain how the other flavors map out in the recipe. I am shooting for an insulin boosting, pancreas exploding chocolaty cereal.

Cereal Base- Kettle Corn and Brown Sugar.
Cereal Base Support-Biscuit INA and Macaroon FLV the AP does some too but this is not why I put AP in it’s just bonus.
Milk Base-Vanilla Shisha INA, Cream Fresh FA and Custard FA.
Richness is from Vanilla Shisha, Meringue and a bonus from Custard FA.
Depth-The Lemon in FA Custard and the Coconut in Macaroon FLV both assist with depth/brightness.
Sweetener/Mouthfeel- Marshmallow TFA and a bonus from Brown Sugar TFA, Meringue FA and AP.

As you may see I like to use flavors that do double duty when possible.
Does that provide you with more voltage @Sprkslfly? I hope this helps.

2 Likes

I’m no @Beaufort_Batches, but I kinda do the same thing. I mix highly rated base-like recipes and let them fully steep then I mix them randomly. My experience with single flavor mixes has produced little recipe know-how. The focus on “Stones” has serious merit as we see in most recipes, single flavors don’t really deliver.

Simple (delicious) Strawberry is always a mix of Strawberries …not news, but I have discovered that flavors don’t always combine sometimes they block. My process is based on laziness which really works for me personally. I use a small volume tank and when it’s half done I add another complimentary completed juice. I learn more crashing two mixes together about how single flavors pop and hide and combine than doing it “on purpose”

I guess I am recommending “reckless abandon” as a flavor investigating strategy. The key is selecting some top rated simple recipes and waiting for them to steep …Third World Custard is mandatory. Once you have some inventory (I make 120s of these) it’s time for “Clash of the Titans”! :beers:

The bonus with my plan is there’s no wasted juice …I just flush it all down my lungs

7 Likes

I’m working on one bulb, would have been happy with a room, but I end up with the whole house lit up! LMAO

BTW, I’m not paying your “electric bill!” I’ve already got a clue as to your flavor arsenal TYVM.

PS: yes. :laughing:
PPS: and thank you!

2 Likes

maybe switch out to LEDs :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah yeah… lol

These new kids can do that, but my “bulb” is “old stock” (46 years) and it came hard wired. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m sure you can find something here

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/edison-bulbs/

2 Likes

Second one I see listed “Squirrel Cage”…
You trying to say something bub?
roflmao

2 Likes

I’m no @BoDarc and he just stated a very important flavor element that we mixers sometimes overlook. That is where @BoDarc informed us of some flavors “block” and this element is just another obstacle to dodge, duck or leap all the while trying to get our flavors to balance and unite.

New flavors stump me just about every time I get them and it may be 6 months to a year before I discover how to use a new flavor properly.(Sometimes I get luckier than that) but I’m pretty confident about using the flavors I do know although I can still at times mess them up on occasion. But it’s how well a relationship you build with your flavors in a sense that builds mixing character, defines your mixing style and gains confidence.

The best thing I have going for me is passion and taking the time.I really spend more time researching flavors than mixing up batches now days. I normally do not mix a recipe unless I am sure it is close before I even get to vape it. Unless of course I’m trying a new flavor, for me, new flavors always have to be pre-prototyped and tested. So there’s no way getting around mixing without time and testing, and great mixing, more time and testing. Unless , you are a wizard and I think there are a few.

If you all knew how sleep deprived I am most of the time you would think I’m a nut having DIY being the reason behind it. I have spells when I get caught up on sleep and I wonder why am I doing this? Then I realize, it’s because I just simply love it…:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Well said. DIY is compelling. The deeper you “wade” the more you discover. What’s the worst that can happen? You throw a dollars worth of chemical down the drain? There are no sharks out here, so I say throw caution to the wind …that’s my tip.

Today I mixed a dozen top-rated simple (low number of flavors) recipes, each with one of my new flavors. Won’t I be getting the advantage of someone else’s experience in pairing and layering flavors? My hope is to speed my journey, and as I said above my Test Batches are already winning juices (from you guys!) so none of the boring, time-consumption of single flavor juice.

Now I have to say prior to this session I did a single flavor yogurt test (8 10ml botles). The results were tragic. If the topic is how can we move to the next level, allow me to propose some TWO (or three) flavor testing. It could be as simple as combining some of your single flavored inventory or adding another flavor. Example my single yogurt test. I could add some blueberry and blackcurrant to one, some Strawberries and cream, some cinnamon roll, some Custard or even some steeped completed juice …eww Bust-A-Nut Yogurt . You’ll never know unless you try.

Maybe compile your primary tests (don’t pour out!) into more layered testing …not really as focused on predictive results. Most great discoveries were accidental, but they all occurred on some otherwise predetermined Journey. I am humbled and grateful to be on this little nutty journey with you guys. What will we discover? What can we leave behind for ELR’s Class of 2018? One thing is sure …we cannot predict it.

3 Likes

Nice @BoDarc, nice and well said advice, this is why we are able to make vapable e-liquids here…

1 Like

this…I’ve had 2 batches of attempted MM clones end up smelling great but tasting of NOTHING…I didn’t even think that was physically possible.

1 Like