Using a dripper to test mixes

Yep me too the huge lung inhales make me cough just with air. I got the HCIGAR magma clone. Found out smaller diameter coil works a little better for flavor. I can tighten up the air flow pretty good too. I totally feel like a $20 well spent. Actually I’ve not put it down yet.Single coil build ni200 right at .14 ohms smooth as silk with both of the small air holes selected. Can do about 10 drops safely with out flooding the air holes. And with the temp protect I can vape the cotton pretty dry without burning.

I too have problems with the bad boy drippers, too many years of smokin the analogs. Just today got my magna single coil wired. Built it at 1.3 ohms so I can use it with my istick. Now testing is a matter of changing cotton and juice. No more carrying around a whole extra unit for testing and separate for personal vaping. Just switch from Magna and Nautilus and use the same battery. I’m lovin it…

Hi Aux; Was talking to a buddy in the know just today about the mesh wick. He seems to think that you tend to get a metallic taste when using that type wick. You’ll have to let us know…

If you get metallic taste then you have a short in the mesh and need to fix it.

Agree with Aux here - The mesh really imparts no flavor at all! If oxidized properly you’ll get the cleanest taste ever! :smile:

And no o-rings!!! :heart_eyes: I love the magma. It’s by far my fav. Dripper.

1 Like

Good thread. I’ve been looking for a simple and fast way to test recipes. I have a RDA and removed one of the coils. Been dripping right on the coil without cotton, then burning it off between tastes. I just wonder with 24mg juices if im getting an accurate flavor profile. I could also add cotton between tastes, but again I am looking for something quick. Suggestions?

I see that some of you don’t mix in the nicotine until after the flavor is right. Doesn’t this alter the flavor a bit since there is PG being added with the nicotine?

When testing I only use 0mg blends. I’m out to taste the flavor and I feel the nic would just get it the way. Especially such a high volume of nic. Truthfully, if it’s a test, you should not be wasting your nic. Especially being there is a chance we may not be able to buy it before too long…

1 Like

i’m all for using 0mg blends to test and not waste the nic, but without adding the pg from the nic won’t that alter the ratio as well as the flavor %? Or are you suggesting that I do a blend specifically with zero nic and let the calculator ratio out the appropriate PG/VG mix?

On a side topic, and I know this is not the forum for this discussion, but I have not been following the political legislation regarding liquid nicotine sales… is it a real likely that it will happen?

3 Likes

If you are using ELR calculator (Which you should be) just change the DESIRED STRENGTH to 0. All other values will be calculated for you. Then follow the recipe…

I don’t think any of us know how the story of nicotine will play out. It is a Tobacco product, this much we know. I have from the beginning thought we may still be able to buy it as a consumer, however, If things continue to go as they are progressing now, we may not be able to buy equipment to use the nicotine in making it useless to buy. I highly recommend you do get involved and say your piece before it is too late. Tell your friends as well, Hell, tell everyone whether you know them or not…

See this thread:

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ll read the link and join the fight!

3 Likes

I used to try dripping to taste test my mix and personally I never liked it. The flavor wasn’t good for me, plus the hassle of changing wicks or washing the wick whatever. So I bought 6 Kanger Pro tanks if and when I want to taste and although the flavor isn’t the same on a tank it was pretty damn accurate on the flavor profile of what I was mixing.
They are also pretty damn cheap, I cant remember how much they were exactly but they were under $5 and super quick and easy to wash. I never had to switch coils, I would add 1-2mls of juice and hit it a couple times to “clear” out the previous juice. I have had them for months and I’m still on the original coils.
Before I was filling my tanks, tasting, then emptying my tanks, then Disassembling my tanks, then washing my tanks, drying, assemble, repeat…it was too much
Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong way it’s just what works for you! but all I know is it helped me since I don’t like dripping.