Vanillin discovery

Mine smelled amazing when I had them! Never ever like a wet dog. :wink:

Back on track…

What % did you use (if you recall)? I haven’t sf tested it, actually I’ve only had it in one recipe so far, but my curiosity is piqued from this thread…

4 Likes

I did not SF test it. I used it in three different recipes, and at 3, 3, and 6 respectively. I was not impressed but can’t honestly say I’ve exhausted all possible avenues since I only used it three times so far. I expected something like vanilla extract but it’s not nearly that potent. I have not abandoned it and will do further research eventually.

3 Likes

This has been a good thread thus far …got some good chuckles.

To me vanillin is very similar to ethyl malto, it is lightly sweet and vanillin has a hint of vanilla but not enough to be pronounced. I find it behaves well with rums, oak woods, florals, citrus, tobaccos most earthy robust flavors will benefit from vanillin and I agree @DarthVapor I find it to mute over time much in the way that EM does. A light hand goes better and a shorter steep time,
If you want real vanilla taste buy MF Vanilla or DIYFS HV or Vanilla Overload and the FA vanillas.

8 Likes

FA UK has Vanillin crystals which I use.
It actually acts as a sweetener in low %, with a vanilla back note. In fact it is very hard to impossible to pick out in a mix?

3 Likes

I read some of the notes from the recipie side only using acouoke drops per 15mls. I was :thinking: ngmof (auto correct is horrible. I was thinking of )using it truely as an enhancer and not a main profile.

I’m planning 6 differently versions of vanilla pudding and in a couple I plan to add touch of vanillin.

5 Likes

I use TFA Vanillan 10% in 3 different recipe types, Ice Creams, Custards and Chocolate. I don’t use it as often now since I discovered that LB Vanilla Ice Cream does a much better job than Vanillan does for me in my personal e-liquids. I am aware that Vanillan is the cleaner choice between the two being it is DAAP free but LB Vanilla Ice Cream is just works so good for me. I have noticed that over time the Vanillan will take over, especially where I used it over 1%.

5 Likes

I think my couple of drops translates to 0.05grams or less than 0.5%

2 Likes

Wow this is an old, forgotten thread! I still have 8oz of Vanillin on my IMF shelf, come to think of it! I don’t think I have touched it since I made this post, haha.
Since then, I have enjoyed the traditional Shisha, MF (kind of) and a few of Fan’s. I did finally get around to mixing with FLV’s Vanilla Bean last night. It will be a couple weeks before I start testing/tasting but has anyone tried it? It smells of a raw bean, borderline extract, but I also haven’t been to thrilled with all their other new(ish) flavors they sent me to test. I’m hoping it’s as good as it smells because I really want a raw vanilla flavor, minus the cream/custard qualities the rest have.

I keep seeing this Holy Vanilla being mentioned. Who has this? I suppose I should give it a try, since I haven’t bought anything new in AGES

2 Likes

Did you get guabanana? If so I can get you the recipe tonight. I have been totally digging that with mango flv and I think a drop of orange mf.

2 Likes

Yep. For whatever reason, I cannot taste it?? Even upwards of 5-6%…nothing. I also have soursop steeping

1 Like

I’ll pm it to you around 6 pst.

It’s kindof a light tropic banana flavor to me. I found adding other fruits other than banana to be pretty good.

1 Like

Curious if u got store bought pure vanilla extract to work well. I did fiddle a bit when i started but after reading, i guess i wasnt a quack after all. it’s 35% alcohol based so i would assume a few hour breath would be needed.

1 Like

I think a touch of it goes along ways to enhance I’d consider starting at 0.25-0.50% you’re going to be busy. Are u by chance making 6 to test 6 different vanillas lol ?

@DarthVapor - DYIFS has holy vanilla https://www.diyflavorshack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HOLY+Vanilla+Flavoring+DIY you n me both I still haven’t tried it lol but it gets rave reviews everytime I read about vanillas

4 Likes

Right!? The last thing I need is another vanilla, or another flavor for that matter, but I keep on hearing about it…

I have not tried straight vanilla X and probably never will to be honest. I was thinking of making my own extract using vanilla beans/seeds, but never got around to it unfortunately

4 Likes

was more concerned about the corn syrup in what i do have but it seems some flavors do contain that too.

1 Like

6 different vanilla pudding recipes. One from someone else and 5 from scratch. 3 with the touch of vanillin. It will be fun.

But I should unearth my vanilla milk recipe and add it to that as well

2 Likes

This is a good thread, nice to see it bumped. To look at the original question (?) …maybe Vanillin is just UberStable. Not that it’s a “muter” …maybe just a survivor. Some valuable insights in here (for me) Thanks Brofessors!

5 Likes

Just wanna quibble with this bit. Allergic reactions can be fatal. I don’t think it gets any worse than that? :laughing: Interesting, infornative post, that bit aside.:smiley:

Fot my own part ,it happenened a a few years ago , that “vanilla” flavoured foods suddenly started making me very ill (I won’t gross you out with a list of the symptoms) and I’ve avoided vanilla ever since. I did look into it, and figured that it was probably this artificial stuff, vanillin, but, you know? once bitter,. twice shy. and that artiificial stuff is everywhere, calling itself "vanilla flavour " (you have to take a magnifying glass to the small print to find out that it’s really vanillin)

Now, that said, how do we tell if the concentrate we’re buying is real vanilla or vanillin? I suppose the only way to be sure it’s real vanilla is to buy organic, like MF or NF’s organic range?

I dunno. I’ve taken a chance on RF SC . But I haven’t used it yet. Just cos it’s a real flavour, extract doesn’t follow that it’s the real flavour of the precise real thing it says it is does it? (I should ask Walt to be sure, I guess). Vanillin can be extracted from corn, I believe (and I do have a corn allegy, started around the same time, so it might be that).

Anyways, I don’t wanna limit myself any more than necessary. Any further thoughts appreciated.

2 Likes

Well, yes, allergic reactions can be fatal with just about anything :wink:

Minus that, compared to most of the junk they pack into foods, this one is not as bad

3 Likes

I got it in this week. I haven’t vaped it yet but it’s really good in my coffee and it smells and finger tastes delicious. It isn’t like the regular vanilla though. Imagine a creme brule without the cream, a heavily caramelized vanilla flavor that I think will do well in a lot of desert type recipes. I’m not getting anything chemical off of it.
Very happy I got it and I’m anxious to cook something up with it this weekend.

3 Likes