What Are You Listening To (Part II)?

“Ask and you will receive”

Thanks for those @Rob62, you’ve got my day started off feelin’ good…

2 Likes

Always love a little bit of classic Creedence. That harp sound reminds me to keep on “chooglin”. Thanks for the share @Mew

2 Likes
5 Likes

Sadly, I’m no musician, but I did find that shovel guitar really interesting! thanks!
gonna have to listen to those follow-up vids you posted, but it takes me aaaages to get through this thread :laughing:
i find this bit at the top amusing:" estimated read time of 29 minutes" ah, yeah, well, that’s assuming we’re just reading it , isn’t it. How pointless is that?

3 Likes

I know that almost everybody else has watched it already, but I’ve only just picked up that dark nordic crime drama “The Bridge” on BBC i-player. (i think I might manage to make it to the end of series 2 before they take it down, ) It’s impressive. And the theme song is especially impressive. Here it is:

Annoyingly, though I can’t find the actual lyrics on the web, just somebody’s daft mishearing of them republished all over the place. I had to listen to it twice before I realised the lyrics are in English! After several hearings I began to get the gist… The subtitles to series 2 give a much better rendition but it’s just the first verse, and it comes with series 1 spoilers.

Anyone know where the real lyrics can be found? .

3 Likes

The lyrics can be found here @jay210 And yes, they’re correct. Checked while listening. Good song too BTW. Hope this helps…

Echoes start as a cross in you
Trembling noises that come too soon
Spatial movement which seems to you
Resonating your mask or feud
Hollow talking and hollow girl
Force it up from the root of pain

Never said it was good, never said it was near
Shadow rises and you are here

And then you cut
You cut it out
And everything
Goes back to the beginning

Silence seizes a cluttered room
Light is shed not a breath too soon
Darkness rises in all you do
Standing and drawn across the room
Spatial movements are butterflies
Shadows scatter without a fire

There’s never been bad, there’s always been truth
Muted whisper of the things she’ll move

And then you cut
You cut it out
And everything

Never said it was good, never said it was new
Muted whisper of the things you feel

1 Like
5 Likes

man, I JUMPED OUT OF MY CHAIR,
JANIS JOPLIN to the MAX !!
LOVE IT !!!
5 Likes

Thanks, but that’s the aforementioned daft mishearing that’s gone viral wince
Here’s my transcript from those subtitles. Makes a lot more sense, doesn’t it? And when you listen closely, you can tell it’s right…well, mostly. I do wonder if line 6 of this is wrong. The viral version of that line sounds closer to me.

Echo stutters across a room
Spatial movement that seems too near
Resonating a mask of fear
Hollow talk and a hollow gain
Thoughts set out for the root of pain
Never said it was good never said it was near
Shadow rises when you are here

1 Like

POSTSRIPT OK, done yet more reseach, and it seems there are several recordings of this this song in existence, all with somewhat different lyrics, it seems. Now I’ve listened to Groban’s cover of the song , I’m confident that’s where the popular version of the lyrics came from. That guy has quite a following, and it seems a lot of his fans think he wrote the song.

But wait! I found one earlier recording of the song by the original writer, Jannis Noya Makrigiannis (of the Chour of Young Believers) which actually sounds a lot closer to Josh Groban’s cover than does the recording that was used for the Bridge. So we can’t blame Groban for getting it wrong. Seems the writer changed the lyrics , so there’s no definitive version.

In any case , i do think that the version that was used for the Bridge is better, and I still hope to find that Makrigiannis has put those lyics out somewhere.

1 Like

Sorry @jay210, I think I may have misunderstood what you were asking. I was just assuming you were after the lyrics to the video you posted. My bad!

Actually, I’ve never seen the show as I’m not big on allocating a lot of my time to TV (unless it’s sci-fi :grinning:). Not even sure if it was on Aussie TV. Oh well, glad to see you’ve finally (?) sussed it out. Cheers…

3 Likes

np @Dardy . Umm, actually, you were right, I was after the lyrics to the vid I posted. That is the Bridge version. But if you heard Gobran sing it first , you could easily mishear it as his version, because, often we hear what we expect to hear.

For me, that was the first time I ever heard the song so I was trying really hard to pick out the words. By the time I saw the Gobran version of the lyrics,plastered over every the Bridge vid on YouTube, i just knew they were wrong. And now I know why!

But it’s much more convolulted than expected,taken up much more of this thread than intended (sorry, guys) and I still have only half of the lyrics I wanted. Oh well.

2 Likes
7 Likes

My Grandads favorite hendrix song.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Ooh, can’t resist it. @Dardy At the end of series 2 of the Bridge , you they play the 2nd part of the song . And the credits say “Text and music by Yannis Noya Makrigiannis” so, I assume that my complete transcript of the subtitles represents the official version of the lyrics, at last! Woot!

Hollow Talk ( by Yannis Noya Makrigiannis
and the Choir iof Young Believers.)

Echo stutters across a room
Spatial movement that seems too near
Resonating a mask of fear
Hollow talk and a hollow gain
Thoughts set out for the root of pain

Never said it was good never said it was near
Shadow rises when you are here

And then you cut
You cut it up
And everything

Silence seizes a cluttered room
Light is shed not a breath too soon
Darkness rises and all you do
Is tighten your jaw and then cross the room
Spatial movements are born of light
Shadows scatter without a fight

It’s never been bad, there has always been truth
Muted whisper the things you move

And then you cut
You cut it up
And everything
Goes back to the beginning.

ummm, now I’d better post a song, to make up for all my drivelling on about those lyrics.
OK, here’s my favourite Hendrix song:

:slight_smile: , or you could call it a Dylan song , of course, but Hendrix owned it, didn’t he?

4 Likes
2 Likes
6 Likes

WTF Wednesdays, anyone?

It’s so wrong, yet so good.

4 Likes

Glad you had success @jay210.

If it was up to me you could drivel to your heart’s content! :grin:

And yeah, Jimi did indeed “own” All Along The Watchtower. Can there really be another version? Nah… Cheers.

2 Likes