What Coil Build do you prefer?

I’m normally running a 28 gauge (twisted) duel coil build, but when I have time, I often watch Rip Tripper, Grimm Green, PBusardo, or others on youtube and try new builds. Just wondering what everyone else out there is vaping on. Especially if the build is giving out more flavor :wink:

2 Likes

I’m lazy. I mostly do dual microcoils and single microcoils (for Lemo etc). I’ve been meaning to twist some kanthal though :slight_smile: Have you seen Twisted Messes on youtube? That guy does amazing builds!

Here is a video of him doing a fused clapton coil:

And I’ve been interested in doing the chain coil v2 shown here:

3 Likes

I’ve tried a bunch of different twisted builds, but they either don’t perform, or don’t last, as well as a standard contact coil. All that twisting seems to trap the gunk build-up a lot faster.

RBA’s - dual coil - 28 gauge - 7-8 wraps on each - this gets me the best flavor and they last forever - I have never NEEDED to rebuild a coil - I normally rebuild - just because…

On most of my RTA’s I shoot for a single contact coil - using 30 guage - around 1.8 ohms - again 7-8 wraps

I do however coil the Billow, as if it was an RDA…

4 Likes

@daath No, I haven’t seen that before… I’ve been wanting to try the zipper coil for some time though. Gonna add him to my channels… Thanks (BTW, thanks for filling my weekend, LOL)

@nu2dis I’ve notice the build up when vaping max VG juices, but I typically burn it off when I change my cotton out. I normally drip 40/60 and don’t get the build up on the twisted too bad… I’m mostly after flavor than clouds and more PG seems to work for me… Of course, I love me some clouds. On a side note, when flavorings leave a chemical taste (Maraschino Cherry for example) more VG is required to resolve it :slight_smile: … But you’re right, non twisted coils last so much longer than twisted :sunny:

1 Like

Dual coil Twisted 26g is nice… 4 wraps on a 3/32" gives you a .25 build and Its pretty maintenance free (depending on juice IMO).
Although if you’re looking for some flavor clouds I suggest a a dual nano build !! Use 26g Kanthal wrap 11 wraps ea around 1mm drill bit… Keep them a bit lower to the deck so a nice pillow of cotton will fit well. It’s a .4 ohm build that’s got a lot of flavor and formidable vapor !!
The zipper build and some of the other complex coils, sometimes take a lot of time and leave you wanting more… I’d take a 5 wrap of 26g A1 on a 5/64" bit over a complex build cause it’s a quick build that really performs !!
I’m not saying that Clapton coils and such aren’t worth taking a shot at doing… It’s good to venture out and try things…
To me IMHO it’s the easier builds that work well that you find yourself going back to… :wink:

4 Likes

For a single coil on ny Origenny v2 I like 7-8 wraps 3mm ID with 28g 317l wire for about .7 - .8 ohms and cotton.

Same for a single coil dripper. Dual .35mm @ 0,6 - .7 also cotton.

Sometimes I twist the shit if I am bored :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m like daath, fairly lazy when it comes to coil building. If it’s simple and provides me the vapor production I need…bam! But, typically a 6 to 9 wrap of 26 or 28 ga. of nichrome 80 micro coil keeps me happy.

5 Likes

I found this for the lazy man… 5 Meters of triple twisted kanthal for 6 bucks (can order double, triple, or quad twisted)

http://sweet-vapes.com/5m-roll-ud-twisted-kanthal.html

I just ordered a roll to see if its any good, lol…

3 Likes

Youde seems to be good stuff (after all they make the Goblin!) - I think you’re in for a good surprise, Don :slight_smile: At least I hope so! :smiley:

2 Likes

Single micro 26g @.3ohms. I went through the crazy build phase but it didnt last long. It isnt about being lazy, for me, i just like the flavor and temp it produces.

2 Likes

How do yall twist your kanthal? I usually only twist 28ga, but with an Allen key and a drill it only takes be a couple minutes to get a nice 5 or so foot strand!
Currently using a dual 26ga microcoil setup but I think I’m gonna ditch it soon, flavor is good and clouds are alright but man its a bitch to rewick!

1 Like

24g dual macro parallel build. Lovely warm dense vape MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :yum:

Although currently rocking a 24g 5 wrap single 0.5ohm horizontal rebuild in an Atlantis, pretty much just for the lolz

3 Likes

With a coffee mug. Easier than walking through the 4 feet of snow to the garage.

You could try wicking under the coil instead of through it. I dont like do that but it works.

1 Like

My most recent build is a dual coil 1ml 13 wraps with the G Plat wire @ .2 ohms in a plume veil. Great clouds and taste. This has been my best build to date.

4 Likes

Just throwing this out there as i got some Gplat for free and loved it. According to two independent tests i read on reddit it is 317L Stainless Steel welding wire. As i couldnt afford to buy 50 pounds of it i went for 316L which is branded as some other fancy vaping wire. You can get it extremely cheap on Amazon 20 meters of 26g for 10 bucks shipped. Great stuff that vapes much cooler than Kanthal of the same gauge and resistance.

6 Likes

I did some research a little while ago and found out I got raped buying that G Plat. It is some great wire, but I hate the company misrepresented it as being some big breakthrough. But I did find a price that"s reasonable for a lifetime supply.

http://www.bakersgas.com/CRO-SS317_1XE.html#22918

4 Likes

Now that is a great price and my old man can quit bitching abut me stealing the wire from his welder. Thank you!

2 Likes

I think I came up with a new original build. I’ve seen a lot of Videos on coil builds but I haven’t seen this one yet. If it’s not original please let me know. I call it “The Olympic Rings”. 24G kanthal, 6 coils, 2 strands, 4/5/4 wraps on a 2 ml screwdriver, .5 ohms.
Not bad for my 1st shot at it. :yum:

8 Likes

Wow… That looks like a great build. I’ve seen alot of builds but nothing like that. I think you got yourself an original there NewDrip.

2 Likes

Looks very similar to a build I’ve seen… think it was called “Six Shooter”, but cant find anything on youtube with that name… Looks very good! Congrats!!!

2 Likes