What is Goin On Here? Same Recipe, Same Batch, Different Color

The bottles with the green caps were made in the same batch, and the bottles with the red caps were made in the same batch. They were bottled immediately in the same bottles (brand new bottles). They were all mixed, bottled, and stored at the same time in the same spot in my dark closet on 12/13. This is the first time I have seen this happen. Only one bottle out of each batch has done this. They were made in a 150ml flask, cleaned and dried between mixes. They were blended with a frother until very foamy and poured into bottles right after frothing. The only thing I can think of is they were at the front of the row closest to the door. But there were other bottles out in front of them. Not touching them. But partially blocking any light from me going in and out of the closet. I am stumped.

STRANG??? what the???

I am leaning toward contamination in the bottles. But I have looked them all over and they are spotless. Maybe I need to wash my bottles just in case. But I have been using these bottles for awhile now and this is the first time I have seen this. I thought maybe the bottles that are darker are leeching more oxygen into the mix. But if so it is a very small amount because I tried squeezing them to see if any leaked out and - not a drop. I guess I will find out how they vape and see if there is a difference. Knowing my luck, the bottles that are darker will be amazing and I won’t be able to replicate it LOL.

Isn’t oxygen the most likely culprit?

2 Likes

What strength nicotine do you use and do you shake the heck out of it before you use it? Higher nicotine content will make for darker juice. Not sure exactly why that is, but I have one recipe I’ve made 3 strengths of, 18, 6, and 3, and they’re all significantly different colors with the 18 being the darkest and the 3 being the lightest. A hotspot in the nic base may have been transferred to the darker ones. Other than O2, that’s all I can think of that would do that.

1 Like

All the bottles are 3mg. The nic is from Heartland and is crystal clear in my mixing bottle. It is 100% VG, but I always shake it very well per your advice a month or so ago. I shake it when I sit down at the mixing table, and again before I remove the cap to dispense.

Maybe the HDPE bottles are the culprit. I know HDPE leeches O2. But these aren’t meant to be stored for any length of time. These are to fill orders. But even so, I can’t image in 7 days there would be that big of a difference even if I left the cap off of one of the bottles. The drip tip is there preventing much O2 from entering even if the cap was loose.

I am wondering - the door to my closet faces a window. The blind is always closed on that window. But maybe the bottles being at the front of the shelf got more sunlight when I opened the door? I mean, what are the odds that the two bottles at the front would do this in 7 days time?

I dunno, that’s weird. Sounds like some more experimentation is in order. :wink:

I may just dump them back into the flask and remix. I moved these questionable bottles to the back. I may take a bottle of each out and sit buy the window and see what happens :wink:

2 Likes

Just curious, if the sun can make tea better, why wouldn’t it do the same thing with e-liquid?

Maybe you should let it settle first after frothing before pouring it into bottles. IDK, just a wild guess.

1 Like

I’ve always like how Nude Nicotine explains it:

Storing Your Nicotine Solution

September 14, 2014

We’ll admit, nicotine ‘aint cheap. Next to your flavoring compounds, nicotine solution is likely the most expensive component of your DIY mixing. Why let it go to waste? While the shelf-life of your solution may vary depending on a multitude of factors (to be explained in a few), there are 3 variables you can help to mitigate oxidation, thus preserving your precious nicotine from unwanted oxidation and hydration.

Without getting heavy into oxidation chemistry, let’s simplify by saying that these three buggers accelerate the oxidation of nicotine in your solution to its nicotine oxides. Not necessarily dangerous for inhalation (as all solution possesses this to some degree), however it will add to the commonly seen brownish/yellowish (/sometimes pinkish) hue, rank-wet-dog (pyridine) smell, and peppery taste. Sounds delicious? Ew (Shout-out Jimmy Fallon). These factors are evident of an oxidized nicotine solution, whether kept out of proper storage conditions, or preformulated and not fresh for use.

I see. But what if liquids were made without nicotine and steeped then nicotine added for a final few days of steeping in the dark? I am not doubting the sun degrades nicotine. Does it degrade flavoring as well?

Why are there no actual chemists here? :slight_smile:

Maybe the frother is to blame.

42 is the answer

but seriously… Very likely it’s the sunlight.

4 Likes

I studied a year as a Chem major, then a year as Chem Engr major before switching to Comp Sci, so we can pretend I’m a chemist until a real one shows up if that helps. :wink: So my not-even-pretending-to-be-an-expert opinion is that your results are different amounts of oxidation. I’m guessing the order of pouring would be the clearest first and the darkest last. My thought is you’d have more froth, or air bubbles in the last one, so more oxygen for oxidation. Is that possible?

5 Likes

I would say you are correct. I never thought of that. Holy shit!

1 Like

The reason I bet you are correct is when I mix, I place my ingredients on the table in a row exactly how they are in the calculator. As I add them, I place them in the same order back on the table opposite of where they were. When I fill the bottles I place the filled bottles on the table in the order I filled them. I am anal about it. Goes with running CNC machines for years and having to keep parts in order for serializing I guess. They go into the closet in the exact same order. The last bottle poured is the one darkened,

2 Likes

1/3rd of a PhD in Chemistry here (for whatever you feel that is worth) and I agree that your explanation seems the most likely to me. . .except I bet the more oxygenated liquid was on the top, but that’s not really the point of the matter.

2 Likes

Well, I notice when I pour out of my flask after frothing, the bubbles stay in the flask and the liquid pours out under the bubbles. The last bottle always has more bubbles in it. I never thought anything of it.

Makes sense sir… Let us know next trial, if you let them bubbles dissipate before pouring if that changes your end results… But def seems like the best answer
And the sun will be no good for your juice, sun burned juice haha :yum:

1 Like