What is the draw of the mechanical mod?

LOL I don’t know. I already deal with anxiety and freak out if I try anything new, so there’s that. It took me forever not to freak out when the RDA’s made the little popping sound.

2 Likes

:flushed:
I can certainly understand the first couple of times. But you make it sound like you jump when a mouse farts… :laughing: :hugs:

2 Likes

Don’t be bringing no dang mice near me LOL

3 Likes

:upside_down_face:

… this little guy is good with a mech! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

…bumping this convo here. :wink:

3 Likes

@streamylc

Meh… not really. :smirk: You’re still getting the effect of a mech; drawing off the actual voltage of the battery. The coil you use defines the amp draw on the battery.

For starters, if you stick to .5 to 1ohm coils (total) on your atomizer (whatever that is), coupled with say, a Samsung 18650 20a battery in a mech… you got no worries :grinning:

It’s when folks don’t pay attention to their coil build or atomizer/coil dead short scenarios… this is when there can be issues.

Yeah ya can… Hell, it’s what I started out with, after I dropped the “pen types” back in 2013/14. I was using a multi meter with probes to test my coils :joy: …it was a year or so after I started twisting my own coils that I finally got a real atty ohm tester. So… if I could bludgeon my way through the process, years ago, with just the help of reading the ECF forum… With the info out there today, you can surely make your way into the mech realm without fear. :wink:

7 Likes

This is really cool to hear, and appreciated… because I really do like the raw “simplicity” of what I see and hear about rockin’ mechs. Someone above described it as organic, and I can totally feel that. It seems regulated mods muddy the water in some degrees… If someone knew my habits, and picked up my mod, and saw it was on bypass mode, they could safely assume in the hours before that I got super frustrated with a build and gave up by means of working in bypass instead :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Note: I’m pretty self taught when it comes to flavors, wicking, coils, and the tension between them all… and TBH I’ve found bypass to be more straight forward… So if anything I’m saying goes against common knowledge, this is why :crazy_face:… I still have almost no clue about ohm’s law… I just figured out how many wraps, guage, ID, and etc my device and battery got along with… anything that drained my batteries wicked fast or made my mods heat up like a hand warmer was a No No :grimacing: :sweat_smile: :innocent:

7 Likes

I absolutely LOVE the popping and crackling sound lol especially with a multi core Clapton or staple coil

3 Likes

Riiiggghhttt? when you get it all just right and have the milky crackling :sunglasses: :heart_eyes: …move over bacon.

5 Likes

That’s kind of a problem in my opinion when it comes to vaping, especially if you want to get into mechs. Yes, again my opinion here, and I do not want it to appear that I am belittling or questioning you, because I am not.

Ohm’s Law is much of the physics that controls our vaping world. How amps, Ohms, and volts interact is critical to understanding what a build will bring to the table. Amps is current flow. Volts is current flow potential. Ohms is the resistance of the circuit. Sites like Steam Engine use it, of course. It’s V=I*R (I amps, V voltage, R resistance). You can manipulate it to isolate either variable you choose, but the law is the law. Wattage or power is a calculation of the three to measure the energy produced.

Typically, the resistance is the one constant for us as coil builders. We build a coil to a specific resistance, then with our regulated mod, we adjust the voltage (or wattage, which is just another law formula the chipset uses) to work with the coil’s resistance to feed the correct amps needed to drive the circuit and get the vape we like. If the situation we desire is not possible, the mod will let us know by complaining about it and not firing i.e. resistance too low, dead short, etc).

With a mech, you don’t have any chipset to help regulate and protect the vape. So in other words, even if you put a nice safe build on an atty, but short the coil to the cap, your regulated mod will tell you. Your mech will not, and will faithfully acknowledge and complete your desired action when you press the button. Even if it will overload the cell or melt the coil to a bad place. Similarily, even if a build is correct but it exceeds the battery’s safe limits, the regulated mod will refuse to fire and warn you. A mech of course will not. It’ll go ahead and do exactly what you tell it to. Regulated mods are not infallible, but they are much safer to use if a solid understanding of the physics in play is not there for the vaper.

So to sum things up and step down from my soapbox, please try to learn and understand the relationships in Ohm’s Law, the safe capacities of your cells, and the condition of your build. Obviously you can also ask the mech experts here for advice as well.

I’m not knocking mechs. They were the first on the scene, still going strong, and some are strikingly beautiful. But be safe. That’s sort of way more important than anything else.

9 Likes

We need soapbox speakers! :speaking_head: Don’t apologize for teaching and most importantly, teaching safety! :wink:

6 Likes

And that is why the mechanical mod I bought will stay safely in my vape cabinet until/if there is absolutely no other choice but to use it. My brain is no longer wired that way.

3 Likes

I started here:

…check out that time stamp! :joy:
(October 4, 2013)

7 Likes

Well, that’s kind of a bummer. You should get that whole Ohm’s Law thing worked out, especially since you’re the Newbie Shepherd!

3 Likes

I think I mentioned this before? I have trouble retaining information after some issues with a blood pressure medication that really caused some horrible problems. It was one of the reasons I left the field of respiratory. Don’t get me wrong the old brain works great on some things, on others… well I keep LOTS of notes. I look at the Ohm’s law stuff and get an instant headache LOL edited: I was once really good at numbers and conversions of numbers to set ventilators and such, that’s no longer something I can easily do and it gives me serious headaches to try anything mathematical…

5 Likes

Hey… my spouse is the same way! She keeps notes about things on a daily basis! :wink:

You vape what you’re comfortable with vaping. When you get ready to give a mech a try… we’ll be here to answer your questions. :grinning:

5 Likes

Thank you… I honestly hope it never comes to that point where I have no choice but to learn but for now I am doing safety first :heart:

5 Likes

Like I said:

I know the basic fundamentals of electricity, e.g. what it takes to not hurt/kill oneself when it comes to residential/commercial repairs (given what I do in RL); does that mean I know how to responsibly build a miniature space heater that will fit inside my pocket? … no :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: hence what I said above.
In all honesty, I probably already “know” Ohm’s law through associations outside of vaping. If I ever do get a mech mod, becoming earnestly studied on it’s application is at the top of the list. The passionate reiteration of the importance in me doing so over the years is exactly the reason why I don’t see it on my vaping horizon… I know many here are well versed, and I will be sure to reach out if and when I get adventurous enough to actually get one.

(sorry about the re-post… still trying to get the hang of this forum :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: never used one setup like this before… I do love it!)

4 Likes

Hey man, I sincerely hope it didn’t sound like I was talking down to you. Absolutely 100% not. I’m a little wonky about safety and can get a bit deep into it sometimes.

4 Likes

No, no worries Phil… it’s actually quite the opposite :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
If anything, it’s what I get for openly embracing my ignorance with a potentially dangerous facet of vaping (both physically and what is probably more important, PR regarding vaping… lol)
I should have added the disclaimer that my being a ‘philistine’ regarding the properties of mech-mods is very much intentional :crazy_face: :innocent:

Not sure how long I’m gonna be able to hold out if I keep seeing rigs like this though… damnit @JAWS1

6 Likes