What is the draw of the mechanical mod?

I started here:

…check out that time stamp! :joy:
(October 4, 2013)

7 Likes

Well, that’s kind of a bummer. You should get that whole Ohm’s Law thing worked out, especially since you’re the Newbie Shepherd!

3 Likes

I think I mentioned this before? I have trouble retaining information after some issues with a blood pressure medication that really caused some horrible problems. It was one of the reasons I left the field of respiratory. Don’t get me wrong the old brain works great on some things, on others… well I keep LOTS of notes. I look at the Ohm’s law stuff and get an instant headache LOL edited: I was once really good at numbers and conversions of numbers to set ventilators and such, that’s no longer something I can easily do and it gives me serious headaches to try anything mathematical…

5 Likes

Hey… my spouse is the same way! She keeps notes about things on a daily basis! :wink:

You vape what you’re comfortable with vaping. When you get ready to give a mech a try… we’ll be here to answer your questions. :grinning:

5 Likes

Thank you… I honestly hope it never comes to that point where I have no choice but to learn but for now I am doing safety first :heart:

5 Likes

Like I said:

I know the basic fundamentals of electricity, e.g. what it takes to not hurt/kill oneself when it comes to residential/commercial repairs (given what I do in RL); does that mean I know how to responsibly build a miniature space heater that will fit inside my pocket? … no :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: hence what I said above.
In all honesty, I probably already “know” Ohm’s law through associations outside of vaping. If I ever do get a mech mod, becoming earnestly studied on it’s application is at the top of the list. The passionate reiteration of the importance in me doing so over the years is exactly the reason why I don’t see it on my vaping horizon… I know many here are well versed, and I will be sure to reach out if and when I get adventurous enough to actually get one.

(sorry about the re-post… still trying to get the hang of this forum :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: never used one setup like this before… I do love it!)

4 Likes

Hey man, I sincerely hope it didn’t sound like I was talking down to you. Absolutely 100% not. I’m a little wonky about safety and can get a bit deep into it sometimes.

4 Likes

No, no worries Phil… it’s actually quite the opposite :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
If anything, it’s what I get for openly embracing my ignorance with a potentially dangerous facet of vaping (both physically and what is probably more important, PR regarding vaping… lol)
I should have added the disclaimer that my being a ‘philistine’ regarding the properties of mech-mods is very much intentional :crazy_face: :innocent:

Not sure how long I’m gonna be able to hold out if I keep seeing rigs like this though… damnit @JAWS1

6 Likes

You’ve got that backwards my friend!

2 Likes

All of this is pretty simple in my mind. I build a coil and test it’s resistance. I divide that resistance into the max potential voltage of the battery and get the current draw. If the current draw is less than the continuous current rating of the battery, I’m gold. No boom, no stressed battery, no diminished vape because of excessive battery sag, no excessive heat generated.

4 Likes

Well, I would say that while I like the steamcrave aromamizer I would not use it on a hybrid mech - the 510 pin on the deck can collapse into the connector over time and the pin really doesn’t protrude enough for me to use on a hybrid. I feel much safer using something that protrudes much further like the Volrove pictured below (gold is voltrove, silver is SC)

7 Likes

*meh *… paint me a sociopath, but I think that’s debatable :innocent:
How one could get, and set up, a mechanical mod without coming across numerous (let alone any) warnings is beyond me… I got the low down after mentioning that I didn’t have one because of the very same safety concerns… which IMO, is from the incredibly bad “PR” regarding the subject.
I can’t help but reminisce on “Liebeck v. McDonald’s”, crazy how far we’ve come since then :crazy_face: and everyone wonders why common sense is becoming less common.

All the flak vape is getting across the board is just “laymen”/non-vapers erring on the side of caution, and not caring to investigate past what they’re told, que no? :zipper_mouth_face::thinking: makes PR quite a force to be reckoned with.
Example: It might have changed since I last talked to him, but a buddy in the Navy (so I kinda doubt it has changed) said that after all the exploding vape hoopla that you weren’t allowed to step foot on ship with a vape device (whether it be a a JuuL or 4 18650’s & some copper wire held together with duck tape)… while smoking rooms/decks stayed exactly where they always were; obviously… (he was on a carrier, USS Lincoln, if my memory serves me correct)

erring on the side of caution because “random explosions” around bombs, jet fuel, nuclear reactors, etc, is no bueno… All because of some rando’ getting some funyons at a 7-11 in ohio who didn’t read the warning label or do some research? :crazy_face: * gee… my mod sure is getting hot!! *

4 Likes

:1st_place_medal:… you win the prize for understatement of the day!

Once…early in my 6 year history of using a mech, have I ruined a contact spring due to a warped, offset coil (dead short) in the atomizer; my mod got warm! :flushed: Smooth sailing since that time. :wink: Common sense saves the day!

4 Likes

I’m sure proper use becomes 2nd nature if one really does understand the amount of power in the batteries we’re using; and have any kind of first hand experience with short circuits.

I remember at work I had one of those smok sticks, and had it on in my pocket (as I very often still do, but with mods whose fire buttons are more protected) and every time I got into my van to leave the job, my pants would constrict and hold that fire button down… I can’t tell you how I got used to that burning sensation on my thigh… waaaayyyyyy “irresponsible” right? (hooray for auto-cutoff :sunglasses: :nerd_face:)
because “behaving” like that is common for me, I know that getting/using a mech needs to be a very conscious decision… I know myself all too well lmbo * slaps own hand * … in this case I feel common sense has cut me off until I have the time to care to be responsible about it.

*waits for responsibly immature award * :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :hugs::shushing_face:

1 Like

Curious about the mosfet mech mods?
I know mosfets, and that being the case I’m not sure if they are even technically mech mods anymore… but have any of you made a consensus on those? I heard them mentioned in passing a few weeks back.

1 Like

They’re fine. No “chipset” or brains. No protections. Simply a low voltage switch that prevents arching of contacts. Very negligible voltage drop.

2 Likes

Got some extended pins off FT mate she’s all safe

1 Like

Just make sure the peek insulator is not collapsed down. If it is you will get some movement on the +ve side of the deck which means if you build a little high it can cause the coil to short on the inside of the chamber which is not super ideal on a mech.

4 Likes

Yes it does. :wink: … it also can lead to helping others understand the same thing. Mechs can be very elemental and easy in which to operate on a daily basis. Do you cook, drive a car, or have another hobby you enjoy? These are all things in which one learns the pitfalls and how to navigate them for enjoyment. Mechs are no different. :wink:

6 Likes

I bought 3 :face_with_thermometer:

I worry about electronics screwing up more. Hopefully no one will have to worry about it either way.

2 Likes