What it does to What and Where? Boosters, Tweaks, Masking, Muting off notes

We all must have found something amazing through our experience or by questioning why is this flavor a part of this recipe. I want to initiate this post to collect the combination of 2 or more flavors in a recipe which you use it over and over again and why?

I will drop some simple examples below and hope this post will be helpful and make some of us revisit our old recipe and make it better.

1. Biscuit (INAWERA) 1% - Gives body and depth to any Bakery, Milkshakes, Custard and Creams.
    Commonly paired with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA), Sugar Cookie (TPA), Graham Cracker (CAP)

Note: I have never used this flavor as a single flavor or in the intention of using it for Biscuit taste. Its one of the best flavors for giving that missing body for the recipe.

1. Cotton Candy (10% EM/Ethyl Maltol) (TPA) 1% - I use this as a sweetener in Bakery, Milkshakes, Custard and Creams.

Note: I have noticed that Cotton Candy brings existing sweetness in the others flavors by making them more vivid and brings them up. I have also used it in boosting some fruits like Strawberry, Banana and Grape providing a candy like sweetness without altering the real fruit flavor.

1. Coconut (Coco, Cocco) (FA) 2% and Coconut Extra (TPA) 0.5 % :
    This is a wonderful combination for coconut, I use this ratio when i want the coconut to be the main flavor of the recipe. Smooth, Silky and rich coconut.

Note: Coconut is one of the most annoying flavors to deal with, i have bought almost all the coconut possible in the market but I kept getting an awful off note like burnt cardboard, soap, peppery. So I kept trying different combinations and settled here. Heard good things about FLV Sweet Coconut but it turned out to be the worst, may be i got a bad batch from them.

*There are so many combinations like this known, unknown, cherished and forgotten, bring em all. Thank you for Sharing *

10 Likes

Gotta agree with you on EM, although I’m sure others will disagree (and say it mutes flavors) but when used properly it does what it’s intended to, just have to be careful when used with flavors that already contain it :ok_hand:
Mutagen, masks bitter / off notes. Adds some sweetness.

“Masking is the addition of flavors to minimize the detectability of off-flavors. The methods include: taste modifying by providing other sensations, taste suppression by competing with bitter receptors (blocking), or accentuating other flavors (taste enhancing) (Gascon, 2011).
Sweetness often is enough to mask bitter flavors, since bitter and sweet receptors are similar in structure. However, just adding more sucrose may not be the answer, Maltol, vanillin, and MCP all smell “sweet,” that is, they possess aromas that are associated with sweet foods (think ice cream, sweet bakery items, and maple syrup). Added to a food with a bitter component, the sweet aroma will trick the mind into ignoring the bitter component as it is not congruent with the sweet taste and aroma.”

Another Flavor enhancer I used frequently in a lot of my fruit mixes is Sour (Malic Acid @20%)

“Malic acid is used as an acidulant, an antioxidant flavoring agent, a buffering agent, and a chelating agent. In pharmaceutical formulations, the substance is used as a general-purpose acidulant. The (L)-enantiomer possesses a slight apple flavor, and is used as a flavoring agent to mask bitter tastes and to provide tartness.”

6 Likes

VSO coconut is pretty great

4 Likes

Interesting, thank you for sharing. I havent vaped anything bitter or sour but i see they have a place :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you! In Spain I dont get a lot of flavors, I will remember to check this when i make the next Chef order.

3 Likes

Ya, I gave up on coconut real quick. I do have a flavor like your coconut. Bubble Gum!!! spelled together or separate. Anywho, I was told that the best bubble gum is Molinberry. Hands Down, they say. The problem I have with it is that it is NOT bubble gum. Bubble gum does NOT have spearmint in it or any mint for that matter. Moinberry American BG would be spot on if they took the mint out. I recently ordered every bubble gum that I could find at Chefs Flavours.

The one flavor I use in a lot of recipes is FA’s Marshmallow. For a sweet note as well as mouthfeel.

6 Likes

I tried a few Bubble Gums too… Wife has always wanted a bubble gum vape but the ones I’ve tried or either very weak or not on the mark. But, I did find one finally. FM Sweet Betsy Bubble Gum. Tastes like the pink wad of sugary rubber you grew up chewing on (and probably swallowing), in my opinion.

4 Likes
2 Likes

@Rocky02852 I think they called that “No Name” to avoid using a trademake name like Juicy Fruit

3 Likes

Will be interested to know how you all use the below flavors in your recipes

Meringue
Marshmallow
Vanilla Swirl
Butter
Honey

1 Like

I use meringue low in a fruit mix that has a thin mouthfeel, usually 0.3%. If a creamy juice has too thick a mouthfeel I’ll add some vanilla swirl.

3 Likes

Thank you for the input on the Meringue! Regarding the Vanilla Swirl, seems like there are so many option to get that effect in creamy profile.

2 Likes

Vanilla Swirl (TPA) should be called Milk and Honey. It adds a light vanilla cream and a bit-o-honey sweetness …a fav flav. Add to any tea at 1.50% to round off that Tea tannin bite (vanilla) and a light honey sweetness

4 Likes

Are you a chef?

FA Coconut and FLV Sweet Coconut 2:1 works for me. I sometimes go higher on the FA if I want a more dominant coco flavor. I never exceed 1% of the FLV. The VSO is good, too, but I have more experience with the first two.

1 Like

Bourbon (FLV) and Whisky (FA) 1:1. To me this is a true booze vape. I don’t exceed 1% on each 'cause I don’t want to get drunk :rofl:. Application is good for custards, cakes, creams, tobacco, coffee…

4 Likes

Thats a very useful information i have a bottle of Chai Spice sitting in my stash for more than year! I will give it a shot.

1 Like

I have FA coconut but was never lucky to find stock of FLV sweet coco when ever I made orders from Chef. FLV is not existent in local vape shops! This is what i made with what got to get my Coconut milk which im happy with the result.

1 Like

All good Chefs can be a good mixologist but not the other way around! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Lol, now that I’m learning the secrets to flavoring I’m thinking of using them in my food and beverages for fast and easy flavor. Heck, I don’t have to go to Starbucks and pay $4-5 for a fancy macchiato. I can just add a drop of caramel, vanilla, fresh/whipped cream, etc. Teehee tada!

2 Likes