Wonder Flavors (WF) Part II Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer -- Mixing NOW!

Vanilla Custard (WF) (SC) 3.5% (12-17-22) – Alrighty, the LAST ONE in this big ass series, the VC. I think reviewing VC’s is one of the HARDEST flavors to review, as what people actually want out of them, varies WILDLY. So there isn’t one that the best for everyone. This one to my tastes, was actually quite good, and here’s why. It presented as a mix of a traditional eggy custard, and a pudding. The ratio was hard to quantify, but I’m going to settle on 60% Custard / 40% pudding, with the custard obviously in the lead. Although there was some egg-y-ness, it wasn’t overpowering, overwhelming, or off-putting (for those of you who don’t love the heavy eggy-ness). I think WF did a good job straddling both sides of the road, to increase the appeal. Now if you want(ed) a straight eggy custard, or straight pudding, this isn’t for you, but if you’re in the middle, I think it will be. At 3.5% it was smack on delicious and full, and had similar nuances like many of the existing VC’s, egg, butter, some vanilla, rich, creamy, etc. It was actually below mid level sweet, and I didn’t detect any off notes throughout 3 testers (for science and #$%^&). the mouthfeel was great, and with my personal tastes being a custard/pudding mix, I couldn’t really mark it down. Just a very slight dryness on the finish, but it was so minor, I hesitated to mention it. For a great, creamy, rich VC, that straddles both the traditional custard and pudding this one might need a spot on your rack. With nothing other than some vanilla swirling around, this one could be push/pulled into almost anything you could want or need. Finishing the series with a BANG, and leaving this at 9.8/10.

11 Likes

I have this and have used it a fair bit. To my tastes it is more creamy and puddingly (my new word) than a custard, but is excellent as a rich cream in bakery mixes. It does have hints of egg for me but not what I like as a standalone custard flavour. It is a lot less sweet than most custards I use which works well to temper overly sweet mixes. A great flavour that I will continue to use, just not as a custard for my palate.

7 Likes

Hehe, and hence my hesitance to recommend. So hard to find one that fits everyone. I lean a little less eggy, and more puddingly mydrlg. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’ve gotta ask because I see variations of the name, but isn’t this actually Vanilla Custard (SC) (WF)? If I put Vanilla Custard (WF) in the ELR, nothing comes up. Or are you just taking the simplified, short cut way out??? :rofl:

5 Likes

@KC111
Yes, I think there is only a (SC) version of this and @SessionDrummer is just using simplified names. I asked regarding another flavour further up the thread. :grin:

6 Likes

Thank you, SD has truly been an incredible asset to this forum and community.

5 Likes

@KC111 yeah, I guess I’m going to have to get on THAT hehe.

At my testing weights, despite the correct naming, I’m not sure if they’re SC’s or not. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

All new WF flavors are SC. Here’s a screenshot from their website:

Now about this SC - not SC WF dilemma…

Years ago when started WF had regular flavors with recommended usage of 6-9%. Then new players joined the game (FA, INW) with more concentrated flavors that are used at 1-3% and Wonder Flavors were put in the dilemma, should we stay in this 6-9% range and be like FW, OOO, TPA or should we adapt to the new market conditions and dilute them less and be the part of the new wave of flavors; that’s what happened at the end, so all their flavors are now SC; it was purely a marketing decision back then (what will sell more, look more attractive to the market). Similar marketing decision was taken by RF later (they also suddenly started selling SC’s, but at RF it was not about developing ‘new’ flavors, but just about offering less diluted old range flavors).

So SC doesn’t mean a lot really in case of WF; all their non-SC flavors are better at lower percentages than advertised back then; i use them as their SC’s with the only exceptions Peach Pie and Cream and Hazelnuts and Cream which are better slightly higher. So don’t put too much attention on that.

(personal opinion: i would just delete SC from WF’s names because no WF flavor have it both, SC and non-SC version like RF does (so it is meaningless to have it in the name) and because several other brands use SC in their names (so more confusion for mixers; FE, Juice Factory, Real Flavors, VZ… all have SC in the names of their flavors), not to mention that there is even a SC brand to complicate things even more. There’s no reason to make it more complicated; just the name would work better. ATF uses all WF’s without SC in their name to prevent this confusion.

9 Likes

Yeah, I have to agree with that, as the usage rates, tell all, and although having to SC or NOT SC gets confusing, and many of the flavors are great, they just don’t land in the Super Concentrates/ed category.

7 Likes

@SessionDrummer @Mikser
You are both correct, but for the purpose of this conversation, it has to be entered in the ELR correctly. I used to copy and paste SD’s names of the flavor from his notes into the ELR and if it is without the (SC), it wouldn’t show up at all.

6 Likes

I have 2 of the Juice Factory SC flavours. I don’t use them as it’s too hard to work out where they should start percentage wise. When I contacted Juice Factory they said start around 3 to 5% which is not SC to me (and wasn’t nice either).

6 Likes

I have quite a few Juice Factory SCs (particularly tobaccos) and have never gone above 3% with any of them. 2.5% is my normal.

5 Likes

OK you sold me already, had most of this batch and a few of them stay on my desk all the time.

3 Likes

I love this one. It almost reminds me of a rich frosting. Very buttery and beautiful. One of my favorites from WF. I’m curious, are you re-testing these or have you not reviewed them before?

4 Likes

@Lynda_Marie some are new to me, others I’ve been using, but never officially “tested”.

2 Likes

Nice! Thank you for all you do! Hope you had a great Christmas :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

I wasn’t sure where to post this so I thought I’d add it on the tail end of the last Wonder Flavors reviews.
I’m about to make an order from NomNomz and I noticed that they have a few of the very latest Wonder Flavors releases including a nutmeg flavour. Has anyone tried this flavour yet?

5 Likes

Was wondering, too!

3 Likes