A journey down the rabbit hole of mixing e-liquid.🐰

I would like to start by saying that this is only my opinion and how I mix my liquid and I hope this helps anybody starting out or even help those more seasoned in making e-liquid.

I started researching on how to mix e-liquid about a year ago, and have been mixing it for about six months now, and my journey was one of little to no help, there were too many contradictions and not enough clear and concise ways on how to mix your liquid.

Through sites like this one and many others I discovered a way that seems to work well, and now I am going to share this with you all.

Equipment I use:

Scales (Highland)
magnetic stirrer (Stuart us151 uk plug)
stirrer bars
stirrer bar retrever
Erlenmeyer flask 250 ML
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/create2

This is what I use to mix my liquid and I have found it to produce some good results, however, I am now looking into homogenizing my liquid with a homogenizer and I will be updating this later on in the new year, to let you all know what the results are like.

I hold high hopes for it, from a chemistry point of view this is the best way to blend VG with PG, so let’s see.

If anybody wants any help or advice regarding any of the above just drop a message to me and I get back to you as soon as I can.

12 Likes

I like your scientific approach, it will be interesting to see your results compared to just pouring, shaking and dark room steeping. Cheers

4 Likes

Have you purchased a homogenizer and if so is it high shear or ultrasonic?

2 Likes

What? Help people starting out?

People starting out should get

scales
bottles
pg
vg
flavor (advice on specific ones can be found in abundance here on the forum)

next thing you know somebody recommends a particle accelerator geez. All good that you want a mag stirrer or whatever other kind of machinery to aid you in your quest, but i have been mixing over a year and in larger quantities and i don’t have these devices or am planning to buy them. I got a scalethat can cope with bigger loads, buy vg/pg by the gallon, got over a gallon of 100mg nic stocked up although i stopped using it for myself and my flavor concentrates orders have gotten bigger/more frequent. but is still use the same basic pricinples and methods i started with. Wouldn’t want you or anyone else to scare newcommers away making the believe you need expensive equipment to make good juice

10 Likes

yes, I have ordered one, it’s a high shear one with a 20mm X 200mm saw-tooth generator probe.

2 Likes

It’s not scaremongering, I’m simply putting down my opinion on how I mix my liquid. and this is how I started out and it wasn’t expensive.

4 Likes

thank you I will be sure to keep you all updated, with the results @Grubby.

3 Likes

Woah, hold your horses, the OP is just expressing his findings on his mixing experience and how he is going to try a more scientific approach to mixing the liquids.

He is not saying this is THE way to mix.

6 Likes

Just seemed weird with the helping people starting out thingy. That you like to mix that way i can totally understand and there are alot of threads discussing the potential benefits from different techniques.

This isn’t not expensive for alot of people. And in my case i would be a waste of money since i don’t see the benefit over shaking other then not having to do it myself.

1 Like

I just put mine in warm water then shake to combine. I’d happily use a shaker/stirrer thingy but not with anything that gets put into the bottle, since I mix right into the final bottles and don’t want to be fishing anything out. I used to tape the bottles to a reciprocating saw and shake the living daylights out of it for a few minutes but I abandoned that long ago.

3 Likes

Why did you stop using the saw? I just gotta ask because that’s what I use, but I use a small plumbing strap. Cost like a buck

2 Likes

Because aggressive hand shaking and warm water gives me the same result. Besides, most of my stuff steeps so I have a lot of time to shake on multiple occasions.

1 Like

Cool cool. I understand. I love my quick shake with the saw. Takes 15 mins or so to get through 15 or so bottles then I leave it untouched for 4 weeks

3 Likes

I agree it’s cool to get them so dizzy they can’t stand up. Fun, too.

2 Likes

This is a really cool idea! It actually seems like it might be an effective way of steeping your juices faster rather than just super-mixing them (like mag-mixing does). I’m very interested in your results, keep us posted for sure!

6 Likes

Nice thread topic. I like the way you think.

Yes it is a rabbit hole, because many people mix in different ways. Good luck on your continuing adventures.

5 Likes

I thought DIY coils was a rabbit hole. It’s an ant farm made with one ant compared to mixing. Mixing is a maze compared to a rabbit hole. But damn, I love it. Get one answer right, and get 10 new questions as your prize.

9 Likes

This is soooo true of vaping :laughing:

7 Likes

I am interested in what you come up with as well - i think you may have issues trying to find a budget way to achieve it. What sort of mixer are you looking at?

5 Likes

At the end of the day mate different peoples opinions and new ways of thinking are how things like vaping evolve and progress, and what might work for one won’t work for another, I too am interested in your results man 🖒

9 Likes