A journey down the rabbit hole of mixing e-liquid.🐰

Ok, here are some more doubts.
Is it good practice to heat the vg at 30° C before mixing the pg, flavors and nicotine? and after 30 minutes of magnetic stirring, immediately close the mix bottle?

When using a stirrer what I do goes like this:

1. Heat my VG/PG to 60 C by themselves and stir them.
  2. Cool
  3. Add flavorings and stir in a closed container. A sealed container will not allow the volatiles to escape and the stirring action with force them back into the solution. I use erlenmeyer flasks with rubber stoppers.
  4. Cool again if you used heat.
  5. Add nicotine and stir very slowly for a few minutes.
  6. Allow time for chemical reactions which is basically evaporation. When you open the bottle, they will escape.

I know these are extra steps but this is what has worked best for me.

7 Likes

Thanks for your help.
I was only heating the vg at 30 °, and then added the remaining components and mixed it … I’ll try it your way :wink:

Heat is not going to harm VG or any non flavored mix. I think you’ll notice a big difference and your flavors will mix more thoroughly.

1 Like

I have tasted incredible recipes, so the taste is there, I just do not want it to escape quickly! :sweat_smile:

Thank you so much again :+1:

I wonder if this is a thing for me. When I mix, I always open it to sniff it up right after I shake, because I want to smell the goodness (or funk, which happens too) to see how it went from an olfactory perspective. I guess I’ll wait until later from now on.

1 Like

When I read the case again, a doubt arose. If you make a juice full VG, does it advantage to heat the VG?
As you say you expect this to cool before mixing the flavors … :thinking:

Yes. There are a lot of solids in VG and who knows how long it has set. Being heavier at the bottom of a gallon tells me that there is some separation happening. Plus even with a stirrer rather than a homogenizer there is some shearing action. Low shear versus high shear. I’ve noticed a big difference by heating and stirring VG by itself as well as with PG and/or vodka and saline. It improves the flow where it will vape like say a 80/20 VG-PG mix and in my opinion mix with flavorings better.

1 Like

Humm, not realizing much of chemistry, this seems to make sense … thanks :+1: :smiley:

1 Like

This link (from above) demonstrates this:

However, It can be homogenized with a stirrer as described above. Takes a lot longer and is not quite the same as using the rotor stator device, but close. Stir the shit out of it.

2 Likes

Video interesting … but in that case the glycerin would be in the 60 °, and in our case, I do not believe that it is good to add flavors at this temperature! :thinking:

From above

2 Likes