A PUBLIC and Civil Discussion on the Rules

rofl, we sure do alright.

2 Likes

Ok, I got ya, itā€™s for that rare occasion when you might want to mask something.

Lets hope we donā€™t get any nasty surprisesā€¦ :+1:

4 Likes

Even outside of the ā€œhiding from kidsā€ thing it could really come in handy in the movies/tv show thread.

5 Likes

There will be nasty surprises, he said aloud to no one in particular. Thatā€™s where staff steps in.

6 Likes

On the topic of ELR self-moderation or self-policing:

Some folks are just not going to do it. Why? They lack that gene. They just, ā€œdo what I want!ā€. Thus, the reason/need for demarcation lines on the ELR forum.

You want the Wild Wild West? Where anything goes? Go to Vaping Underground, Reddit, or a host of other vape forums. ELR isnā€™t like those other placesā€¦ it needs to stay that way. :wink:

15 Likes

Those offenders will be excused.

2 Likes

But then we are talking about banning people form the site? Im not entirely sure that i am cool with that idea. I prefer to define some boundaries. Of course that doesnt work for everyone and they generally get it an leave. The ban list on this site is incredibly small.

7 Likes

Now that is hilarious. Two of the most caustic, mentally unstable, abusive members of this forum are now helping hands. Blahahahahahahahahahaha. And then the administration has the audacity to post a topic on Civil Discussion. Blahahahahahahahahah. And now this. ELR stands on the high ground. OMG, I have to detach. Blahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

3 Likes

First I will state the obvious that the derailments and bizarre, sometimes plain stupid, and wholly inappropriate conduct needs to cease and should have never been allowed to get so far out of hand. I have no problem with establishing and following rules as long as they are enforced fairly and equally. No moderator has had to act upon anything I have posted and I have been here more than a year.

But I strongly disagree with what I see happening but have held my voice throughout except in PMā€™s. What many people see and are offended by is a classic authoritarian power structure already in place, and exponentially expanding. From the beginning the parallels to George Orwellā€™s classic ā€œAnimal Farm.ā€ is striking, particularly how people have been pigeonholed and manipulated into accepting this power structure under the guise of ā€œwhatā€™s bestā€ etc. So now the first ā€œdoctrineā€ is complete:

ā€œAll animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.ā€

And some other quotes as food for thought.

ā€œI trust that every animal here appreciates the sacrifice that Comrade Napoleon has made in taking this extra labour upon himself. Do not imagine, comrades, that leadership is a pleasure! On the contrary, it is a deep and heavy responsibility. No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?ā€

ā€œAt any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed that all right-thinking people will accept without question.ā€

ā€œComrades!ā€™ he cried. 'You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege?

ā€œThe result of preaching totalitarian doctrines is to weaken the instinct by means of which free peoples know what is or is not dangerous.ā€

I have developed relationships with a lot of people here. But what I see are arbitrary and egotistical premises for a small group to impose their will upon the majority. Its not about rules, which should have been respected and enforced which I agree with and continue to follow. Its the potential for double standards and hypocrisy based on clique membership . Arbitrary power is a curse. See Ogreā€™s post above about things being cleaned up and swept under the rug.

ā€œComrade," said Snowball, ā€œthose ribbons that you are so devoted to are the badge of slavery. Can you not understand that liberty is worth more than ribbons?ā€

7 Likes

Amen Brother. Amen! Thank you for the words. Iā€™m to astonished to think straight.

5 Likes

So what do you think would happen if we moderators just stopped moderating and imposing the rules the owner of the house made? And why would anyone think that they should be able to go to a friends house and crap all over it just because they are friends?

Go to Voat.co. You will see then end result.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve stayed pretty quiet during all the recent change discussions, but I wish we could frame DVā€™s post below, and hang it on the front door. It sums it up perfectly, for me.

TW I really enjoy your contributions, humor, and what you bring to all the threads you participate in. This isnā€™t to minimize you as a more recent member. The point Iā€™d like to inject here is (keeping in mind DVā€™s comments above)ā€¦ the radical changes have already happened. I think thatā€™s the genie that management is trying to stuff back in the bottle. Itā€™s happened gradually, and over a period of time.

I sure donā€™t envy the task facing the management, trying to reel this in.

16 Likes

Thatā€™s a fair statement. I hope however you understand fully what Mr. Pipes is trying to tell you.

3 Likes

See above: I have no problems with rules and enforcement because when it comes down to it, I would never crap on anyones ā€œfloor.ā€

4 Likes

Well, if some folks canā€™t abide the rules, what choice do you have? Not knowing the history I canā€™t comment on that.

2 Likes

1 Like

I do and i know of who you speak as well.

Im pretty sure understood your quotes, i object to the premise in this context. We are here to look for the balance and not facilitate the take over of one side or the other nor are we here to install some sort of totalitarian state. We are tying to find a way to work together. I could have just banned people but i brought this to the public forum to discuss it.

If i am missing your point entirely please feel free to explain in different terms. I have read a lot of things over the last couple days so i dont object to the possibility that i may not completely understand your point.

7 Likes

Thank you Ken. I really needed that acknowledgment. Believe it or not, I really do like this place even with itā€™s idiosyncrasies.

6 Likes

Acceptable because you guys thought its ok for some to do what others are told not to?? Or because the ones who complain dont complain on the reviewers?

Either way its biased , unfair, and flat out wrong to tell some to tone it down and throw likes on reviews that do same thing.

Neither offend me. But what does offend me it the biased treatment I clearly see. Same actionsā€¦ different people, and you clearly state its ok in reviewsā€¦ hysterical

5 Likes

Oh, i know you do and we like having you around here. My door is always open for you to discuss the issues of which/about whom you speak. One of them is completely baffled at the moment. Id like to avoid that for tonight just because of this thread but i want you to know that you can always grab me by the arm and holler, lots of people do.

That goes for any of the mods. We are here.

3 Likes