A tip from one newby to other newbies

Not sure where to post this… Apologies if this is not the correct place.

I have discovered something that I want to share with others that are new and everything seems to be a ‘first experience.’

I’ve been using pre-mixes for about a month, just started vaping the 1st of Feb. The juice I’ve been happily vaping for about a week of melons and pears was great but getting a little old, so I switched to another pre-mix, more dessert-like. I immediately noticed how harsh it hit the back of my throat. Not pleasant at all. I was thinking that it might be because of a sensitivity to PG vs VG base, which it still could be and mean I have somewhat of a sensitivity. But I tried fiddling with the settings on my Smok Alien and found a setting where I could adjust it from Soft, Normal or Hard. It was on Normal and I changed it to Soft. Also turned the Watts from 24 to 18. I know it’s a small adjustment, but it really is making a difference.

So just a note to others. If you notice a BIG change in the comfort/enjoyment level of your vape immediately after switching to another pre-mix, try adjusting the settings on your mod before tossing the offending juice.

When I start mixing my own (hopefully, tomorrow) I will choose to go 80/20 VG/PG, just because I like the feel in my mouth/throat better. But I have about 4 bottles of pre-mix and am too cheap to toss out. LOL {darned Scottish genes} Glad to have found a way to use it up with minimal discomfort.

PS - also noticing that my tongue and roof of my mouth feels sort of raw-like. Just gonna suck it up and be a woman about it! :laughing: After all, I had a 8 lb 10 oz baby without any meds… If my throat doesn’t start swelling or some weird thing like that, I’m riding this puppy till I get every penny’s worth… {dang my cheap eyes… sometimes it’s hard being me} LOL

14 Likes

It could require a little bit of steeping put it in a dark draw or cupoard for a week and get back to it (if not right then put it to sleep again) - some flavours are harsh when first mixed. It can also mean you are due for a coil change.

When you first give up the ph of you mouth will change (back to where it should be) this can feel like you have chewed on some sand paper - make sure you keep your fluids up vg/pg are hydroscopic and can dry out your mouth and dehydrate you generally.

Welcome and good luck.

5 Likes

Congrats on taking the plunge! @woftam is right about certain flavors needing to steep and staying hydrated. I underestimated how important hydration is at first and almost gave up from scratchy throat and body aches. Coffee and beer don’t count, lol. My herbal tea budget has almost tripled. :yum:

It’s very insightful to see the relationship to your settings too. Some flavors work better at lower settings. This was something I noticed while I was still on retail juices but it’s an easy thing to overlook.

4 Likes

Thanks woftam! That’s really helpful info. I didn’t even consider the coil. And I will put the pre-mix up for a while (dark, cool place, right?) Never changed a coil before… Oh joy! Another new experience LOL . The guys at the little vape shop I’ve been frequenting all seem to cringe just the slightest when I come through the doors… LOL. (I do tend to have a lot of questions) But, it’s all easy once you’ve done it once… they’ll miss me when I’m all experienced and don’t need them anymore (ha, who am I kidding. They’ll probably throw a party LOL)

3 Likes

Ha! Well, that messes up my theory that adding a Mudslide (or two but who’s counting) to my evening regimen would ‘fix’ the added hydration part of the equation LOL… While it takes care of the evening, the mornings are a b_tch! Ha!

2 Likes

Welcome to the rabbit hole that is vaping. A long and dark rabbit hole with pain and pleasure.
Also the feeling on your walked when you first start.

3 Likes

I love your post. Was the juice you changed to made by the same company. What company and what is the VG/PG ratio

1 Like

Or you could just make 3% of the mix distilled water. That will smooth it right out.

2 Likes

No kidding!! I can add distilled water to smooth it out… Something new to me. Somewhere, someone actually told me that adding water might ruin my coil… Thanks :+1::pray:t3:

1 Like

Nope. My base is 94%VG 5% Water 1% Vodka. My stock coils last 7-10 days. 7 with menthol, 10 without. Coils on an RDA where I clean and burn them off, months.

3 Likes

welcome,i"ve been vaping a little over a year.I stopped smoking in 1 day,now I joined ELR about3 weeks ago you are on the best site (to me) there are.The fellow vaping community are very friendly and very helpful.I ordered a lot of concentrates actually to many I tried and I tried to diy and was failing miserable then a more experienced vapor came along and several more they treated me as if I was one of them and that alone felt reassuring they gave me a little push in the direction that I needed now I have 16 bottles already steeped and I am enjoying them all.I have 9 isub s tanks just remember they were noobies once before and I am happy to call every one a friend that little push in the right direction did it for me.To begin with I was looking with blinders on the vaping community removed them and now I see a different way thank you ELR vaping community for that little push.there are a lot on this site discount codes for different things look around explore and you will find your way pretty quickly try my recipe I borrowed strawberry/fog frigging awesome happy mixing my friend

7 Likes

Welcome to the rabbit hole. You are just on the cusp of the hole. We can be your hands as you plummet further in. If you have any questions ask away.

3 Likes

sorry for saying this @Skullblade789 but we all know you are beneath him in that hole pulling him further down :laughing:

4 Likes

SHHHHH, do not tell them that. Everyone needs a good nudge every now and then.

3 Likes

Ooops, not telling whom what, not quite following you right now. I agree about the nudge though :wink:

1 Like

The new users.

2 Likes

I tried to play totally innocent in that last post.

2 Likes

Well fudge, cover blown.

2 Likes

Well, both were made by the same company.

The thing is, when I first discovered vaping and after a few days of researching the research, enough to not be afraid of it, I sort went crazy trying all sorts of premixes at different ratios to get a feel for what would suite. LOL . I was totally new to knowing what I should be paying attention to. Anyway, the store I’ve gotten most of them from doesn’t mark the bottles, and that doesn’t help so I have no clue. Just going by feel with them right now.

I’m just planning to label everything well with my own mixes.

Oooo Love your mix idea… I’m using it! :grinning: