American Cancer Society finally sees the light

This is the sort of news and support we need…

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/stay-away-from-tobacco/e-cigarette-position-statement.html

9 Likes

“The ACS encourages the FDA to regulate all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, to the full extent of its authority, and to determine the absolute and relative harms of each product.”

They acknowledge that e-cigs are safer than smoking cigarettes but they are also advising the FDA to turn up the heat on regulations!
The sentence I quoted in bold is what concerns me.

4 Likes

At least their postion statement includes the word “combustion” in several forms multiple times.

2 Likes

yeah, my jubilation was tad premature …based on my reading of the thread title, here :blush: then I read the article

“The ACS strongly recommends that every effort be made to prevent the initiation of e-cigarettes by youth. The use of products containing nicotine in any form among youth is unsafe and can harm brain development. Furthermore, evidence indicates that young e-cigarette users are at increased risk for both starting to smoke and becoming long-term users of combustible tobacco products”

oh! so they are also .propagating that myth that e-juice is a gateway drug, are they? Dear god,

More like “ACS lets a teeny-tiny bit of light in through the chinks” .

1 Like

Compare the attitude of Cancer Research UK:

Now that’s more like it!

4 Likes

I look at it as a step in the right direction at least the part about ecigs being an aid in stopping smoking. Sadly the rest of it is the “same ole story”

3 Likes

Scientific Summary: Based on currently available evidence, using current generation e-cigarettes is less harmful than smoking cigarettes, but the health effects of long-term use are not known.

Some smokers, despite firm clinician advice, will not attempt to quit smoking cigarettes and will not use FDA approved cessation mediations.

… switching to the exclusive use of e-cigarettes is preferable to continuing to smoke combustible products.

Furthermore, evidence indicates that young e-cigarette users are at increased risk for both starting to smoke and becoming long-term users of combustible tobacco products.

The ACS encourages the FDA to regulate all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, to the full extent of its authority,

Good and bad it would appear…

+1 @mstokens

2 Likes