Anyone have experience twisting

So I’ve been trying to do a quad 28 gauge twisted coil, by every time I try the wires get kinked or end up spinning into a big mess on the drill. It’s really irritating, anybody care to help a brother out?

Have you tried putting the one end in a vise to help hold that end while the other is in the drill? Works for me is why I’m saying as I have a little bench vise just for twisting.

It sounds like you are twisting it too much try to go a little slower or even hand twisting

1 Like
3 Likes

Ah that is the one I was looking for good job

Going slower definitely helped, the coils are heating up evenly in my griffin. One coil is barely as twisted as the other one. Does this matter at all?

It will mean you have less wire in one than the other it may heat a little differently - if you do a wire shot that is enough for 2 coils then cut as you need you will get a more even twist

3 Likes

Another helpful tip is to not try and twist 4 wires, but rather twist 2 wires folded in half. Get them running nice and even and start the twist very slowly. The looser the twist is the more it will pop and spit too

2 Likes

Run a screwdriver through the looped end and grab the loose end with your (edit) drill chuck

3 Likes
2 Likes

Are you straightening the wires first in a drill?

the last twisted i made was with 2x 26ga… no i didn’tr straightened the wires… just added the two acres on the drill and caught the other two with pliers… just started twisting them slowly and then in a middle speed until they got cut on their own… that was it… works perfeect… though i am sure that there are more advanced techniques or whatever that what i did…

1 Like

Actually I think you nailed it! Unless you twist it by hand, using a drill is the only way. Straightening the wires first help them remain even when you twist so you get a nice symmetrical wire.