Are there any *good* chocolate vapes out there?

Didn’t realize that it was in the perfumery line. Perhaps because it is ethyl alcohol based. Ethyl alcohol is basically ethanol.

Ethanol /ˈɛθənɒl/, also commonly called alcohol, spirits, ethyl alcohol, and drinking alcohol, is the principal type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, produced by the fermentation of sugars by yeasts. It is a neurotoxic[15][16] psychoactive drug and one of the oldest recreational drugs used by humans.

So we at least know it is edible. No one wrote any notes on my order. It did say in the MSDS sheet that it was a flavoring. Sounds perfectly vapable to me however I think perhaps we should get some clarity from TFA. Could I please ask you to shoot them a email, or call them and find out the story on this flavor being they left you a note saying it is in the perfume line. Every spare moment I have right now is used doing taxes now. 4/15 is coming up very soon. Please let me know Jimk.

1 Like

I’ll give them a shout and see what they say. Seems to me, it would be just like adding a little PGA to a mix for thinning purposes. After the steeping process, most of the alcohol would dissipate and nothing but flavor would be left.

2 Likes

@ringling, So, true to form, I got a response back from TPA very quickly. Below is the email sent and received:

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Sales mailer@perfumersapprentice.comwrote:
Customer Name: Jim Spell
Customer Email: jimkspell@gmail.com
Customer Phone:
Coco Essence
Just curious about this product. I ordered it, not knowing that it was intended for the perfumery line of things. As many of your current customers use your product for diy e-liquid flavorings, could coco essence be considered a flavoring of sorts? The MSDS sheet on this product tell me it is not so different from other products in your flavoring line. Thanks in advance for your response! Jim

Re: Coco Essence
March 30, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I cannot recommend using this item for that purpose! None of our flavors are really designed for diy e-liquid, but the Flavor Apprentice items are at least designed for internal use. The Perfumer’s Apprentice items, like Cocoa Essence, are not designed for any form of consumption! The Cocoa Essence should not be immediately toxic, though, so there’s no need for alarm if you’ve used a little already.

Cheers!
Bill

The Perfumer’s Apprentice
& The Flavor Apprentice
170 Technology Circle
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
(831) 704-7342
www.shop.perfumersapprentice.com

End transcript of email.

So, the take away is, none of the TFA products are designed for vaping, but particularly the coco essence! Imagine that. I kinda knew that this was the answer I would get. I’m sure that no other answer would have been considered by the vendor. If they take one step towards the Vaping industry, they open themselves up to a big nasty can of worms (ie regulation!). Not that I’m hardheaded or stubborn (my Mother would say otherwise), but I’m going to take this response with a grain of salt. However, since FA does make a cocoa, I think I’ll try that first and shoot Bill another email or two about this topic.

2 Likes

Material Safety Data Sheet (2001/58/EC)

1. Identification of the substance:
    Cocoa essence clear Natural Flavorings

2. Composition/information on ingredients
    • Chemical identity:
    Cocoa extractives, Ethyl alcohol, water and inverted sugar

By the way, in the MSDS info, they call it a flavoring.

1 Like

And the saga continues… I think this next round of communication puts an end to this discussion about this particular flavor.

Bill,

Thanks for the speed reply!

I highly doubt that coco essence is toxic in the least. The MSDS sheet states that coco essence falls under the “flavoring” category. The ingredients for coco essence on the MSDS sheet are in numerous products that are under the TFAumbrella sold as flavorings. Cocoa extractives, inverted sugar and ethyl alcohol are ingredients consumed by millions of people everyday. So, what could it be about coco essence that keeps it from being included in your TFA product line?

I’m not trying to be difficult or belligerent. My goal is to understand more about the product.

I completely understand that none of your products were “designed” to be used in diy e-liquid. Furthermore, I completely understand why TPA/TFA would never take one step towards wanting their product associated with the vaping world. That could possibly open the nasty can of worms of regulation by the government. Nobody wants that…bad for business! I’m a fan of the flavoring industry and want to see it completely unregulated.

So, I have an $8 bottle of a nice smelling liquid called coco essence. The molecules in this liquid are used in tons of food stuffs consumed by millions of people on a daily basis. Should this product be recategorized as a safe, consumable product? I would say, yes.

Obviously, there are others that say, no. Why is that?

Warmest regards,

Jim Spell

Reply comes from the Operations Manager:

Jim -

Yes, you are correct about the Cocoa Essence.

This product can absolutely be used as a flavor enhancer, but is not intended (by us) as a flavor concentrate, such as our ‘Chocolate Flavor.’ Cocoa Essence (Clear) Natural is closer to an essential oil in volatility, and again, makes a better flavor enhancer than a complete flavor. Additionally, we keep this in the perfumery section because we purchased it for expanding our ‘Natural Perfumery’ section and were getting a high demand for a chocolate in this category from diy perfumers.

I have attached a link to where we purchased this product from, as it is not intended to be a secret. They recommend it solely for food: http://www.adv-bio.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdNo=6031
Do bear in mind, however, that Safety Data Sheets are intended only to assist individuals handling product in raw form to do so in a safe manner in accordance with OSHA standards. They are not intended to instruct end-consumers as to their final application, as there can be many applications for such ingredients.

I hope that this has helped to address your inquiry further, and I am sorry if your previous correspondence created any confusion, my colleague is just being cautious.

Thank you for your time, and have a great rest of your week.

Travis McIntosh
Operations Manager
The Perfumer’s Apprentice & The Flavor Apprentice

End email

I’d say, coco essence is no different than any other flavoring in their line. Vape away!

5 Likes

Wow, you sure got the dope on cocoa essence, and I thank you. I’m having a hard time even logging in at this time. Just got too much on my plate right now.

Sounds safe enough as I thought, and you as well, originally. Said it was a oil based product though. I’m guessing that explains the Ethyl Alcohol in the end product. I’m doubting this could happen but the only possible problem I can think of would be separation. Again I’m doubting this mainly because of the Ethyl Alcohol. I’m so glad this turned out as it did because I like the recipe I came up with using the Cocoa Essence. Thanks again Jimk…

1 Like

I was curious myself and I usually hound the crap out of vendors (nicely) until I’m satisfied or they tell me to go jump in a lake! Didn’t take too much hounding on this one.

1 Like

i recently made a pretty good chocolate flavor … Rain Dance. it is on my page. it is a blueberry cordial and did come out very sweet.

3 Likes

Where you at in Texas? Im bout 30 miles east of Dallas, but work in Dallas, Forney and Rockwall areas.

Wooohoo! Another Texan. :smile:

2 Likes

Just got that Cacao (FA) … Gotta see what I can do with it now.

@Alisa; Good luck, I’m working on a couple of chocolate recipes myself. I’ll know in about 2 weeks or so!

1 Like

Where at in Texas Mourning_Glory?

Hi Taz1; Live in the town of Montgomery. About 50ish miles north of Houston. My shop is in a town called Security (Not far from Cleveland).

1 Like

You don’t want to vape ‘oil based’ products. It’s not about the potential separation, it’s about potentially causing lipid pneumonia. The data sheets also say it has ‘inverted sugar’ in it, and you don’t want to vape sugars because they burn and turn into nasty “C” stuff. Alcohol is not a problem for vaping, but when used as a the primary dilutant base it is generally a red flag that it is an oil based liquid and therefore not suitable for vaping. From the info I’ve seen so far, I would not recommend vaping TPA Cocoa Essence.

2 Likes

agree with bminor about that Cocoa Essence. If you want Cocoa, might want to grab some from FA.

1 Like

El Paso …

Just to be on the safe side I spent some time to reformulate _Brownie With A Kiss recipe to get rid of the cocoa essence and was quite surprised to find we liked it even better than the original. Try this one…

Double Dutch Chocolate (FW) 2%
Malted Milk (TPA) 2%
Marshmallow (FW) 2%
Milk Chocolate (TPA) 14%

6 Likes

Maybe us Texicans should have our own thread around here, I am from just about 8 hours east of you, right in middle of the DFW area. Irving.

2 Likes

Created a thread for us Texans, Noobie. Great idea. :smile:
Texas Shout Out

2 Likes