Ask the Chef(s)

You are a true flavorist! Man, those pics are making me hungry!
Cheers,
Dan

2 Likes

Thanks brother!!

Making some sushi today :wink:

4 Likes

Beautiful! And now I want sushiā€¦thanks. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s enough there for my wife, but what about me? :smiley:

3 Likes

First let me say my hat is off to those posting here as cooking is not something I am good at, my wife does it all

BUT I do my after turkey day special sandwich that my kids laughed at until they finally tasted one.

I have done this every year after Thanksgiving dinner and before the left over turkey finally gets made into turkey salad ever since I was probably 8 or 10 years old.

Ingredients: Anything left over

Trust me anything at all left over from Thanksgiving dinner will work

But this year we have
Potato Bread ā€” but any bread will do with a coating of mayonnaise
pulled apart or sliced Breast meat form the turkey fixed
stuffing ā€”any kind it does not matter
candied yams or sweet potatoes or mashed potatoes I have used them all
thinly sliced cranberry sauce on top
salt and pepper to taste

WARNING these are messy so if you donā€™t want stuff all over you or in my case tucked away in my beard for a midnight snack use a knife and fork to consume

3 Likes

When I did Thanksgiving at my house, I always did the same thing. A little bit of everything on some bread for lunch the next day! Best sandwich in the world. :smile: Makes me wish Iā€™d brought home some of those yummy leftovers this year.

3 Likes

Well as I have gotten older I have found that I donā€™t like soup. I love it! Good soups are hard to find. About a year ago I started buying a soup from Campbellā€™s (yeah, I know :slight_smile: ) that is Grilled Chicken and Suasage Gumbo. I loved the spiciness of it. Then I found Progresso had a similar soup. Itā€™s even better. Iā€™m all about the spice - a little Cayenne is good for the soul.

I see a lot of intricate and next level stuff in this thread. But how about just good olā€™ soup? Got a recipe to share? Iā€™ll tell you what I donā€™t care for. Watery soups, cheese sauce based soups or all vegetable soups. Other than that Iā€™m all in. Well unless you have a soup with some really fishy fish, like around here Catfish Stew is popular. I think it sucks. But I do love clams and crab.

3 Likes

I have loads of stuff to post for soups!! I love making soups and they are ridiculously easy!! A lot of people over think them and end up having issues but I will post some simple but tasty recipes here for ya when I get a minute!

Iā€™m like you sthrn, never cared that much about soups but now I canā€™t get enough! Good for the soul :wink:

3 Likes

Cool glad I am not the only one that has done this. I can tell you over the years I have made them so thick you could not stuff it in your mouth to take a bit you had to eat it with a knife and fork

I am sorry I donā€™t have a recipe for it but in Southern Maryland where I grew up there was a little greasy spoon joint that had the best pulled pork sandwich and bean soup I have ever tasted in my life. Sure do miss that soup and I have tried many times to make it but have never even come close

Iā€™m not a very soupy man, but some soups I like. But they have to have lots of taste. My wife makes a killer Borscht! :smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never had that. And as an American thatā€™s not a word (or arrangement of letters for that matter) that I would typically use. I donā€™t like the way it sounds coming out of my mouth. But Iā€™m dyed in the wool Southern, so I probably donā€™t say it right anyway. Too many consonants. But if you say it slowly itā€™s like Boar Shit. Nah, I canā€™t think of a single English word that has those sounds together r-sh-t. Ha! :slight_smile: Iā€™m just playing. My cultural experiences are limited at best. I did spend a couple years in Germany back in the 80ā€™s, but didnā€™t eat that much of the local cuisine. Did have a Cordon Bleu with mushroom gravy once. That was that catā€™s ass. I tried to remake it a number of times. Everything was great but the breading.

Anyway, Epicurious has this recipe for Borscht. I wonder if your wifeā€™s is anything like that. Iā€™ve never had beets mixed with anything before. Always either boiled and served as a side dish or pickled with like a salad. I love the taste of them. Share the recipe if you can Lars. If I can get my hands on all the ingredients Iā€™ll give it a shot. It looks very interesting.

1 Like

I can eat it until it comes out of my ears! A buddy of mine married a woman from Ukraineā€¦ She makes it for me, 3 gallons at a time. Itā€™s gone in about 4 days. :yum:

2 Likes

That sounds like me and whenever I get Crawfish tails. Iā€™ll make Etouffee just about every day till itā€™s gone. I think Louisiana Crawfish must eat crack or something.

1 Like

ā€¦as they say where Iā€™m from, ā€œan yousa da fool iffin yous doaā€™n sucks da head!ā€

Thatā€™s Louisiana/Mississippi speak for sucking the brains and juice out of the crawfish head after you break it off the body! ā€¦have mercy itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve been to a crawfish boil! :pensive: Potatoes, onions, mushrooms, sausage, corn, oranges, lemons and crawfish all in the same boil potā€¦good eats! :+1:

ā€¦itā€™s soup in itā€™s own way!

4 Likes

Looks yummy I love Cajun cooking

Thats a lot of food. But Iā€™ve never understood why someone would pay big money for such tinny portions lol.

i guess the same reason people buy 15 ml of juice at premium prices rather than finding a site like this and making 100 ml for quarter of the price!

7 Likes

i guess as this thread is called ask the chefs best throw in a few picā€™s of work :wink:

Uploadingā€¦ Uploadingā€¦
Uploadingā€¦

6 Likes

Beautiful work custard :+1::+1:

1 Like

I have to admit that I have been lying to you allā€¦ I do smoke.

7 Likes