Capella Flavor Drops Tasting Notes

1 Like

Was wanting to order a few of the Capella Flavors and came across Caramel and Caramel V2… Has anyone had experience with these two flavors? Didn’t see it on the link above…

Also, If there are any “must have” Capella Flavors, please let me know :slightly_smiling:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Don.

Haven’t tried the Caramels. But as for “must have” Capella flavors, for me they are…

Vanilla Custard (v1 not v2)
Sweet Strawberry
New York Cheese Cake
Graham Cracker
Sugar Cookie
Toasted Almond
Butter Cream
Until recently - Butter - but they’ve reformulated and the new version is Golden Butter. Haven’t tried it.

That;s it for my must haves. I give props to the following but wouldn’t panic if I was out of any of them

Golden Pineapple
Sweet Mango (really like this)
Dragonfruit ((like this too…it’s unique)
Juicy Peach

6 Likes

Thanks for the list! I actually have half those in my cart. Haven’t really messed around with butter flavoring much and have been using toasted almond (TPA) for most my nutty mixes. As far as the pineapple, I have been looking for a good replacement lately and glad you clarified the vanilla custards. I saw that at the bottom of the capella website and I already posted about the caramel, lol…

1 Like

I tried the Caramel Cap V1 and it seemed weak to me. It has mixed reviews. Some mixers love it. It’s being used from 5% to 18% single flavor… go figure. It’s probably a preference thing. I just found other Caramels that worked better for me.

CAP flavors I really like…

Glazed Doughnut
Gingerbread
Graham Cracker v1
New York Cheesecake
Sweet Cream
Sweet Strawberry
Sweet Tangerine
Vanilla Custard v1
Yellow Peach

1 Like

I found that IDE Caramel was a very true caramel flavor; pretty much have thrown everything else away except for that one.

4 Likes

What do you do with the Sweet Tangerine…?..I found it to be a bit dry Standalone…Smells great and would love to make something happen with it…

1 Like

I mix it @ 2-5% as a mixer for a good orange note… never tried it as a standalone. It’s real popular in Trix and Fruity Pebbles vapes.

2 Likes

I like how both of you (Pro_Vapes & SthrnMixer) named 4 of the same flavors :grinning:

Vanilla Custard V1
New York Cheesecake
Graham Cracker
Sweet Strawberry

I didn’t pick up the sweet strawberry simply because I love TPA’s strawberry, but now my interest is peaked. Will pick it up next time around…

Thanks for the inputs!

3 Likes

Cake Batter
Butter Cream
Sweet Cream
New York Cheese Cake
Sweet Strawberry
Yellow Peach
Vanilla Custard V1

2 Likes

Feel free to yell at me and point me in the right direction if this has already been covered.

So far, I’ve only used TPA and Capella flavorings. Is it my imagination, or are Capella’s weaker than TPA’s in general? It seems I’ve had to use a lot higher percentages to get anything out of them. Or is this a case of using too much and “burning out” the flavor?

Thanks! :smile:

2 Likes

My experience with Capellas in general has been disappointing. The custard and sweet cream has been the best, but I’ve found other flavors to be entirely too strong and not very true to what I’m looking for. On ECF I posted a request for help for some of the melon flavors…none was given. It seems outside of a few main ones, their “Flavor Drops” don’t do it for many people. Here’s where I’ve had issues…

Melons. I got Double Watermelon, Cantaloupe, and Honeydew. None of them tasted remotely like melon. They were sour, caustic and just rancid in my opinion. I’ve barely gotten a good result or two from using them as accent flavors, but as for them running center stage…nah.

Espresso - tastes like sludge from a pot of coffee that’s sat on the burner for 20 hours. Not found a use for it at all.

Chocolate Fudge Brownie - it’s ok, but doesn’t taste like CFB at all, it tastes like a Tootsie Roll. Potent stuff.

Juicy Peach - another stout flavor. This is more like peaches than any of the aforementioned melons are like melon. But also like others can’t take center stage…relies heavily on other things like creams and sweeteners. I use it in my Sploosh recipe and have to admit it’s pretty darn tasty…only recipe I’ve made with it that I would brag much about.

I also use Sweet Mango and Dragon Fruit. Both are fairly strong and tend to overpower or even eliminate other flavors if overused even slightly.

So, given the limited experience I have with Capella I lean toward answering no, they are not weaker than TPA as a general rule, in fact perhaps even stronger. I have been planning for a while to dilute the melons and espresso so I can try using them again since my prior attempts had such poor results.

7 Likes

The CAP flavorings i use most are Vanilla Custard V1, Sweet Strawberry, Chocolate Glazed Doughnut and Double Chocolate. I find that they a similar to TFA in the fact that some are very strong and taste like they should and some are weak and taste kind of like they should. I oft use combinations of TFA and CAP to achieve a realistic flavor. Cap Sweet SN and TFA SBA Ripe create a nice SB in both taste and smell. Blueberry Extra TFA and CAP Blueberry make a pretty decent BB. None of these flavors taste realistic by themselves, to me.

Choco Glazed Doughnut is dead on tho and is very strong but i oft add Double Choco CAP to it to give it that rich choco taste. Flavor combinations make a juice more complex than is achievable than single flavor flavorings. If that makes any sense, hehe…

If you get Cup of Joe, be careful it is an incredibly powerful flavor, one of the strongest i have used.

4 Likes

Thanks guys. Maybe it is just me or just the flavors I have. I really want to try the chocolate glazed doughnut, that sounds awesome. And of course the custard and the sweet strawberry are on my list, too.

I got the summer sampler pack, coconut, and pumpkin spice. So far the coconut, passionfruit, and hibiscus have been pretty good. The cantaloupe I like as long as it steeps…I think it’s pretty authentic. The blue raspberry cotton candy is good, but I feel like as a single flavor it needs to be at a high % to get anything from. The pumpkin spice is okay, but I haven’t really been able to do much with it yet. The grapefruit and juicy orange seem weak unless I used too much to begin with and didn’t give it enough of a chance. The crispy bacon I tossed…it smelled (and tasted/vaped) like I imagine a dirty urinal mixed with dog food would.

I guess I’m still on the fence with Capella and need to try more flavors/combos from them before I make up my mind. Other than the bacon, none of the ones I’ve tried have been bad…just different I guess. As in most everything, to each his own.

3 Likes

Their flavors are very subjective imo. While I find I like them, a friend of mine cannot stand them. While he likes TPA, I can’t stand most of their concentrates anymore since venturing elsewhere.

With that said, I have 5 CAP flavors in full rotation at all times;

• Sweet Strawberry - I think everyone should have this in their lineup, hands down the best strawberry flavor I have used to date and I’ve tried about 8.
  • Strawberries n’ Cream - I used to not care for this flavor till I found out how to use it. I mix around 3-6% depending on how strong of a creamy strawberry undertone I want. I do not use this flavor as a base anymore, that was my issue the first go around with this flavor. Since then, I have had amazing success using it as a mixer.
  • Sweet Cream - This gives me more of the cream aspect than any other vendor that makes sweet cream, and finishes off very smooth with a slight sweetness, and it has no diketones :smile:.
  • Vanilla Custard V1 - I use this flavor only in small amounts. I really, really, I mean really, enjoy this custard but I cannot vape it all day, it will mute my taste buds and sometimes give me a irritation in my throat.
  • Vanilla Custard V2 - Since I couldn’t vape the V1 all day, I moved to the next best thing. I still think this is a better custard than any other vendor even without the diketones. It make for one tasty vape right around 7-9%.

I use other CAP flavors too and enjoy them, but these are the 5 flavors I use every time I sit down to mix.

Try this recipe if you have the ingredients:
3% Strawberries n Cream
4% Sweet Strawberry
9% Vanilla Custard V2

Let steep for at least a week, although it is a shake n vape recipe, but everything comes together after a week and is amazing.

8 Likes

Some others i forgot about that i use a lot of are Cinnamon Danish Swirl and Sugar Cookie. I got this from the CAP thread on Reddit a long while ago and renamed it, because i had forgotten where i found it. The original name was Snickerdoodle:

Snickerdoodle
7.5% Sugar Cookie (CAP)
5% Cinnamon Danish Swirl (CAP)
2.5% Vanilla Custard (CAP)

For my personal use i changed some of the %'s but this is an excellent recipe.

8 Likes

I will definitely stand by @ryan8five0 in agreeing with their Strawberries n’ Cream, but my absolute favorite besides V. Custard 2 is their Chocolate Coconut Almond . Straight up ALMOND JOY HEAVEN, add a little extra Coconut and cookie, it certainly pops! I make it in 50ml batches at:

Chocolate Coconut Almond (CAP) - 10%
Coconut (FA) - 3%
Cookie (FA) - 3%
Cream Fresh (FA) - 1%

:wink:

6 Likes

I have decided that Pumpkin Pie (Spice) is either completely worthless or I’m doing it wrong. It seems like it ruins everything I put it in. I’m now going on the search for a better pumpkin pie/spice flavoring and consigning this to the back of the bin. Maybe I’ll revisit it at another time, and maybe I won’t. We’ll see. :wink:

3 Likes

I know that feeling. I really want to like a flavor, but it wrecks the mix at certain percentages. I have to be very careful with FA anise; love it, but…

I’m really trying to find the magic mix for Capella Sweet Tea. It’s a bit more on the flat lemmony side of things than a sweet tea. Borrowed some TPA black tea from a friend of mine to see if there is a combination thing I can get going. We’ll see!

2 Likes

I mentioned in a different post I was making a Strawberry and Lemonade batch up. The original recipe called for TPA/TFA’s Strawberry (Ripe) of which I uses a 7.5% of in the flavoring, if I used CAP’s Sweet Strawberry instead, would/should I still use the same percentage (7.5) or should I go a bit lighter or heavier on the CAP flavoring?

1 Like