Care for Tube Mech Mods

Searched around for a thread on this topic…maybe I missed it but here it goes.

1. How do you care for your tube mech mods? Not just cleaning or treating patina but the threads, buttons/switches. Do you use 3 in 1 oil etc.

2. How do you clean a tube that does not have a removable top? (to reach the end of the tube)

3. Any “special” tools for care? (I use one of these jigs for cleaning: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10037085/8062000-authentic-clrane-polish-jig-for-mechanical-mod )

Thanks in advance for any and all tips and info. :boom:

2 Likes

On 1 and 2 i will say citric acid. I use citric acid to clean my tubes, switch and everything else and it doesn’t matter if it has a removable top or not, the acid will clean everything and make it look like brand spanking new. A bottle brush is something that will reach in on the tubes with a fixed top.

A brush of some sort isn’t a bad thing. I use a tooth brush for the bigger things and a small round brush for threading and places where a bigger brush can’t get in.
That jig is great for brass or copper mods to shine them up and also to shine the brass and copper attys.

Hope i gave you some ideas.

3 Likes

Amazing. Absolutely you have. Thank you.

I use these clothes for the patina/cleaning. They work well.
https://www.amazon.com/Cape-Cod-Polishing-Cloths-Economy/dp/B013CX19E2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500669207&sr=8-1&keywords=cape+cod+metal+polish

I will look into the acid too. Do you treat your threads with any oil at all?

2 Likes

You’re most welcome bro.

Never tried those cloths. I use 2 different cleaners, 1 is for the shiny metal on cars and the other is a dedicated polish for copper and brass. The stuff is cheap but works like a charm and to apply it i use a disposable polish cloth and afterwards a microfiber cloth to clean it up and get the shine.

Don’t use any oils at all for the threading. I can say though that i clean the tubes i use weekly so they never get that dirty and the threading is for the most part butter smooth.

Tried oil once but found that it kinda collected more dirt and made the threading dirty much faster.

2 Likes

Ahhh a fellow brother with OCD…lol…awesome :punch:

2 Likes

Hate to see my mods dirty and looking bad. If i got nice stuff i want to present it as nice as it can be.
If that’s called OCD i’m totally fine to have OCD when it comes to something :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m the same way…even with the cheap clones :laughing:

2 Likes

Yup, if it can look real nice even as a clone i make sure it does :wink:

3 Likes

I take my daily mech box apart down to the bare case every 2 weeks. I am aware of citric acid but find the whole process relaxing. I clean all parts w/ regular soap but polish all copper contact parts w/ http://www.nevrdull.com/ You have to be careful when using some cleaners if u have silver plated contacts, make sure it’s safe. I do use a high temp petroleum grease for my firing button which gives it smoother action, stops the clicky sound and helps from carbon forming when the metals wear together. Then again a petroleum is not good for rubbers like o-rings. This thread may help u decide which if any to use , like @Norseman said if u stay on top of the cleaning it isn’t so bad. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?126645-Comprehensive-Grease-and-Lube-Thread
I am glad iam not the only wierdo that takes care of their stuff, they will last forever if u take care of 'em.
P.S. sry no pics of my mechs, i don’t want PMs about the dangers of my stuff

2 Likes

I’ve been using NOALOX on the threads since my first Nemesis
back when I started.
Still use the same mech everyday in the rotation, 3 years now.
Not sure how well it is for conduction, but sure makes the threads happy.

2 Likes

The last lube listed at the end of that thread… Oh man I can’t stop laughing :laughing: is that a real thing?

2 Likes
1 Like

Yep! It’s anti seize for electrical wiring aluminum to be specific.

2 Likes

you learn something new everyday!

1 Like