Crispy Baked Flour Crust? (ultra concentrated or PG-Free)

I’m looking for a great Flour-based Pie Crust, like when you get to the end of a slice of fresh-baked Pumpkin Pie and its extra crispy and browned. No Graham wanted for this one.

But, I need it as concentrated as possible if its PG-based (<1%).

I’ve been playing around with my non-PG flavors: Acetyl Pyrazine ooo(VG) .5%, Sugar Cookie RFSC .75%, Danish NF .5% and Graham RFSC .6%. (Did this before I realized I don’t want the Graham)
It’s almost there if I take out the Graham and tweak it more.

TIA for any tips!

2 Likes

@Beaufort_Batches uses a lot of NF products and i see you do as well so maybe he cld chime in and get you headed in the right direction

2 Likes

Nic Vape pie crust sounds like it would work here i use 1-1.25% (it is pg based tho) …maybe try jungle flavors biscuit as well?
Also my favorite flavor to bend a pie crust and lighten it giving it an almost cookie crumble is German flavors cookie :cookie: if you get this flavor i assure you you will not regret it :slight_smile:

Edit: i mixed pumpkin pie today too! Vapin er now SNV lol

5 Likes

Pg has to be minimal , or non existent due to allergies …

3 Likes

I am aware of @Plunderdrum woes regarding PG but he did say strong PG flavors may be worth a go …

4 Likes

My wife gets a dry cough with PG, more of an annoyance than an allergy. I’m a-ok :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips, @mixologist13 and for the assist, @fidalgo_vapes!

I have 133 non-PG flavors and now thinking if a great PG-based recommendation comes my way I will branch out a bit. If i can keep it under 1%, she may be ok if i make something for her.

4 Likes

The have a really good cinnamon pastry dough but I have not used a crust baked or flour crust flavoring from NF.

4 Likes

@anon84779643, any tips from the Flavora line?

3 Likes

i was just wondering how cookie FLV would be for a pie crust … i havent tried it at all yet but i habe the next 3 days off so ill be sampling some things

3 Likes

Cinnamon pastry dough or crust?

I’d use something like this for pastry:

2 drops .04g or .12% red cinnamon
3-5 drops .06g or .19% pastry zest
.2% graham cracker
.2% cookie
.2% apple filling

dough, you could add in .2% fried dough…

for a cracker, increase graham cracker at .4% and add ap at .5%

3 Likes

As far as the nicvape pie crust… use it between .2% up to around .6%
any higher and it mushes out… turns muddled for me.
and use ap at .5-.75% maybe.

2 Likes

Thank you, @anon84779643. Would any of these ideas pass as just a crispy flour crust like a pumpkin pie would have? It’s basically flour, butter and water. No Cinnamon, no Graham, not doughy.

2 Likes

If it is a pumpkin pie… use the pumpkin bread and spice… I like that extremely well, and add in some cantaloupe to make it all pop… My pumpkin spiced lattes could show how I used the cantaloupe:

I did not add anything other than those 2, (pumpkin spice and bread), but as it was a coffee, and not a “pie” per say…

I still would go with:

3-5 drops .06g or .19% pastry zest
.2% cookie
.2% apple filling

HIC’s cookie with the apple filling does work,even with flv… Kinoko soy might work too… as it is a soybean flour type… be careful with it tho, it does give off that flour type, use it at like under .2%, you might try it at .12%, as the last time I tried it, I ended up with a grainy taste for a few days in my mouth. An experience I won’t forget. I am super sensitive to the soy.

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch! Does this one give an apple flavor to the crust?

2 Likes

It should not be noticeable, at least to others.
I tend to pick up on tiny bits, but I know I am the oddball.

2 Likes

Right on. What is its purpose in a crust, if I were to just want to make a flour crust base?
Ps. Thanks for letting me pick your brain on this! Flv seems the most likely candidate for my low% pg needs.

3 Likes

Issue with a few bready types, like pastry, fillos… both good examples, are super hard to transpose into the taste world, not impossible, but for the best, the compounds would be harder to soruce. by combining certain flavors tho, you can make something passable. creams are always good to “soften” the crusts, but its a fine line… too much and you can overdo it, making the crust soggy, and not enough of everything playing a part, and its just not good too.

this is why try it as solos first, then combine them, can make things flawless. If not, then you won’t know exactly which ones to adjust. To allow time too… most seasonal recipes should be well prepared ahead of time, say 30-45 days in advance of holidays :slight_smile: Hope this helps you out @Plunderdrum

4 Likes