Definitely Don't when DIYing

Hmm.
Of course.
Just made first batches of Van/Cust using EM

• supposed to wait 3 weeks to vape.
    What’s used in place of EM that can sit/steep without overpowering?

I would never use EM in VC. EM is used to tone down flavors such as fruits. I have never had a need to do that with a custard.

the recipe suggested it if you liked them a bit sweeter…lol Ah well, live and learn. Will remember that next time

EM doesn’t sweeten as far as I know. I have it, but have never used it because it mutes flavors.

We are talking about etylomaltol, right?

@LordVapor is correct. EM or Cotton Candy (Same thing) will mute other flavors. Most of us use Marshmallow for sweetening because we’ve been there, done that. Get in the habit of substituting EM with marshmallow unless you feel it was used purposely to mute (Tone Down) a mix. In time you’ll know the difference. Truth be told using EM with a custard is a very bad idea. By the time the custard should have blossomed from steep the EM will already be starting to mute the flavor. You may wind up with some quite flavorless juice. Keep in mind to keep the amount of Marshmallow down as well. I suggest 2% or less. Most, maybe all, contain maltol though much less compared to EM…

3 Likes

Oh, so it is used as a sweetener. I think I knew that at one time lol. And yes Shela, EM is ethyl maltol.

2 Likes

I only used 0.1% EM. Advice taken. Will redo one tonight without EM and compare + maybe vape the EM one quickly…lol
Edit: I do have Marshmellow IF needed. I thought i was being so smart LOL

2 Likes

Guys, Gals, someone already posted this but I do not know where or who did it. Let’s just say THANKS! This is a list of TFA flavors that contains EM already. The fact that these flavor companies are already using it in concentrates is a good reason to avoid using more. Check it out…

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/specsheetlist.aspx?cas=4940-11-8

4 Likes

I’m sure your mix will turn out good. A little EM doesn’t hurt, and while it doesn’t really sweeten, it does bring out the inherent sweetness of flavors, but as the others mention, it tends to mute flavors over time. If you vape a liquid with a lot of EM, it’s like your taste buds go numb, and you’ll have a hard time tasting stuff - even afterwards. But a little doesn’t hurt. My own G Vanilla Custardy II has EM listed as an ingredient, and it’s actually very good, even after a long steep :slight_smile: Nowadays I make it without EM :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

Thanks. I will go check yours out as well then!!

LOL i just tossed 30 ml cause of the fucking em. Im trying it again with brown sugar at 2%

Been DIY’ing only about 6 weeks now.

2 things I have noticed.

I spent 2 years burning though Nautilus coils using desert juices in about 7 days with the first 24 hours being the best that coil gave.
On all my rebuildables, I felt I had to re-wick every 2nd-3rd tank refill-my wiks were black otherwise, YUCK.
Naturally I had to burn off the black gunk on the coils to - led to more rebuilds than I thought should be necessary.

DIY?
NO more gunked up coils. No more need to re-wick often and no more needing to rebuild new coils-they are actually clean now.
I even tried a Nautilus coil and its so far lasted 2.5 weeks.

Until you know better, the above seems the price to pay to vape. No longer. I actually have a lot more time to spare now.

2nd - first DIY I made here called for higher percentage of EM, which Lars advised against. Did not use percentage like that again. Not sure if that’s why the first juice was “oily” but does have an odd texture although the taste was still very good.

3 Likes

Try using marshmallow for a sweetener, it doesn’t mute flavour over time either. :wink:

4 Likes

There are a few nasty coill gunker flavors out there to watch out for. FW Yellow Cake immediately pops into mind. It’s pretty yummy, but man it does a number on your coil. It seems to me that darker flavorings in general tend to be worse on coils.

3 Likes

Shrooms, don’t do shrooms when mixing

3 Likes

These kind?

1 Like

Yes of course, what did you think I meant?
Heehee.

Damn tho, a little flour, salt and butter, your shrooms woukd be great.

About a month and a half, and huntin time!