Downgrading Schmuck Alert!

I regularly check them - deactivated a few accounts because of it…[quote=“wonner1, post:221, topic:23192”]
Many rating systems do not allow a rating without a comment to defend it, and the rating is directly tied to the user and the comment. That would provide both transparency and accountability to the system.
[/quote]

I will be implemented at some point! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ll help - (Just saying…)

It’s a pain in the ass issue Lars but you’re a rock star for addressing it.

4 Likes

This is just my opinion and I respect a lot of you guys as mixers. I wasn’t going to say anything because I just didn’t wanna stir the pot. I am not great at making my own recipes . For the most part it is a lack of time (2 year old daughter). When I first started DIY everyone loved ( hate to name drop) HIC’s recipes . I found quite a few that sounded good and ordered the flavors. I hated every one of them. Of course everyone knows that taste is subjective. If I were to rate them after spending money to make them . They would probably get 1 star . Would I leave a comment on why I gave 1 star ? NO probably not ,because I think the 1 star would sum it up. When It comes to people being jerks and giving 1 star ratings with no bearing. They should be kicked off the site. if it is a legit rating then I don’t think anyone could really say anything because that is IMO what ratings are for. You can’t really pick and choose what you get rated because that would seem “fixed”. If no can give 1 star then why have stars? This is just my opinion and I know you guys put a lot of work into the recipes and I for one appreciate it.

5 Likes

sorry didn’t realize this was 29 days ago.

4 Likes

Most of the complaints are some mixers don’t follow the recipe instructions. They will 1star a recipe the day it was released with no steeping as instructed or downgrade without leaving a comment.

But I agree, if it flat out suck, then rate it as you see fit… just be courteous and say why.

4 Likes

I look at it like this. If you were a school teacher would you give a student an F with no explanation? I think just the opposite of your view - 5 stars should speak for itself. But if you find a recipe isn’t good, it doesn’t help to just vote it down and walk away. It doesn’t help the mixer or the community. In other words we really don’t accomplish much raving about great recipes, but when we come together where there is improvement needed by offering constructive criticism, the whole community benefits.

7 Likes

I have 2 online businesses and all I am interested in is keeping my 5 star rating …you don’t get to ding me. You will be f*cking satisfied damnit. I’m coming to your house and detailing your truck if I have to. If you don’t like it don’t rate it. As you gain some wisdom about how to get your taste just right (flavor %) you start seeing those bad recipes from beginners with 15% Custard and 15% Vanillin… we don’t need to see one star to know it’s a Newb recipe.

Look at it this way. If someone made a slamming recipe and got 5 5 star ratings and you just didn’t like it and gave it a one star, it could knock a couple stars off their 5 stars and other people might pass it up. The ratings you may notice are usually 0 stars or 4-5 stars. If you see 2-3 stars you’re not even gonna look at that one …but what if it was actually good and one person gave it 5 stars and one person gave it one star?

Of course you can do as you wish but people on the other end take this stuff to heart …just another perspective :wink: Hey? hows that truck lookin’?

3 Likes

I think it’s all a mix bag. I’m gathering up my balls to post my first recipies over the weekend. (Atleast one) Preparing for all the one star ratings…if there are any ratings to begin with. Lol.

My only hope is that if there is a person that is doing the actual work researching flavors they find my recpie and Atleast use it an inspiration point their next adv. if it gives them that moment of saying, “this is why I DIY” then great.

2 Likes

Huh? I read your post a couple of times and I’m wondering if you meant to address me or someone else.

As for my truck…bring it on. It will be easy work because I keep it quite spotless but at least if my neighbors see me with someone doing a house call they might think I have money :sunglasses:

3 Likes

My motto in life is, “take no credit accept no blame.”

However I’ve been reading this thread since the beginning and never posted my thoughts because I’ve felt the attitudes by most of the people upset is, “give me credit fuck your blame.”

It just a gold star, right?
People suck, people are bullies, people don’t like other just because…
May just be your competition (friends) messing with you because they know it’s pisses you off. Relax…

Everyone relax, shake up that five star mix you love and F what the dick 1 star givers thinks. 99% of people don’t really put much trust in the worlds rating system. Don’t believe me go to YELP and check out the idiots reviewing there.

What can you do? I guess what y’all are doing venting, but nobody gives a crap about them stars. Relax…don’t make me go all 420 on yo asses.

By the way, I would never give a one star to any recipe except that damn pork-chop spam recipe. Even a newbie gots feeling too.

If your trying to make money off this site I then understand the frustration. But what you gonna do. If not…RELAX…

Finally, in my opinion, anyone, especially newbies reading this ENTIRE thread would be nervous to give any true rating in fear of losing the privilege of using this wonderful site.

3 Likes

@SthrnMixer Yeah no That was for Randy. I was just replying to your reply in agreement. Hah I don’t have any stars here. To be brief, the stars here serve another purpose. ELR is truly a special place where the goal is just to help everyone get better or at least be successful at today’s babystep.

If anyone just wants to tell people they suck, Google the recipe for “Milfs Milk” …if you’re not at work, over 18 years old, and not sitting next to your Mom …or your husband …or anyone
[DISCLAIMER] Don’t do it …don’t dooo iiit Damnit I said DON’T

If you want to find it on ELR just click this for MILF’S MILK

2 Likes

I can tell by many recipes posted that they just wouldn’t work, are not what they claim to be [like apparent clones] or just seem a bit pretentious and try-hard [like 0.1% of this, 0.2% of that, 15 ingredients … nobody would notice if 3 were omitted type thing] - But I’m not rating them unless I actually mix them up, and follow the creator’s steep instructions. Those who are 1 starring recipes as soon as they go up are doing so tactically from what I’ve witnessed. They’ll be side accounts either of members who have similar recipes, have some recipes that are getting attention and they want them to climb, or mates of theirs joining just to do same. I’ve checked many 1-star bandits, and they often have no recipes, no posts, and you’ll catch them 5-starring seemingly random recipes as soon as they get posted.

It’s just bad Karma … I honestly feel ratings should be locked for at least a week, and members should have at least 3-4 recipes uploaded before being allowed to rate others. It’s the only way I see to control the hit and runs.

2 Likes

I hear your approach and i get it’s from a calming place , I think that once you pour your heart into something it becomes much more than a rating it’s a passion and to see it get poo poo’d on in a matter of minutes is well a personal attack to us what we’ve spent countless hours bathing shaking mixing testing vaping tweaking %s that’s like having someone spit in your face it is offensive.

While I know for a fact not everyone is going to like what I make and vice versa but it’s the part where the D-bag goes and rates it literally the same day ya post it when you say it’s a 2-3 week steep whatever you write and they just don’t follow instructions. That to me is a pointless encounter and a needless rating that I nor you learned anything in that experience. I’d like a comment for every rate I leave a comment for every rate ppl just want validation to a certain degree doesn’t mean we need it.

We were all newbies at some point 99% of my 1 star ratings are from ppl who have no recipes at all.

4 Likes

Sounds great but look at the news this week along. Death by idiots, baby dragged to its death by alligator. so on and so on.
People suck, probably someone you know actually doing it with fake emails.
IDK, sorry it’s this way though. Pink elephants and rainbows the world is not.
Hate I posted here on this thread. Lack of good judgment. Couldn’t sleep last night and my fingers got restless I guess.
Good luck to all with this battle…but no ones gonna win when click of a button smashes weeks worth of testing, shaking, money spent and ect.

3 Likes

Your right deceitful people are everywhere. I heard about the baby FL is a mess as usual…I’m from there but I don’t live there now…smart move :wink:

And I’ve posted stuff that I’ve thought what why did I even …but speaking from the heart helps you vented basically this is a venting thread lol right !

3 Likes

The ones that are the biggest problem are not the ones that one star a recipe or two they didn’t like, it is the ones that sort the results by rating and go through and one star everything just because it isn’t theirs, it isn’t made by their favorite mixer, or they hate good things.

If someone one stars my recipe it doesn’t mean they are a schmuck that needs to have their account squished. Even if they one star it the same day its posted. But if I go into their ratings (which are public btw) and I see they one starred a TON of recipes and they clearly haven’t mixed them or they are obviously self/other promoting then I will definitely lodge a complaint with the powers that be.

5 Likes

You’re one of those, YAH :joy:
GirrrlPower!!

edit, I meant one of TPTB, not a complainer!!!

5 Likes

In many instances I think you’re right. There is one recipe in particular (will remain nameless) that is very popular. I’ve always thought there were like 3 flavors that could be omitted and it would taste the same. But then there are others where just a single drop of a potent flavor is all that’s used, and without it the whole recipe changes.

My other pet peeve is for someone to comment on a recipe, admit to subbing out flavors (this can be ridiculous subs too) and then saying it’s not for me or some other silly crap. If you didn’t follow the recipe how can you say you don’t like it?

I agree with that. Personally I don’t care how anyone rates my recipes - I make them for myself and share them out of the love for the game. But to some folks this really matters, and I see their point which is why I’ve always thought in order to rate a recipe you should have to leave a comment. But honestly that won’t fix the problem either because someone could just say yuck yuck yuck and drop that 1 star. Nothing accomplished.

So what to do? For me…nothing. I don’t care. But for those who do - come here and fuss about it I suppose. It feels good to get things off your chest.

3 Likes

has anyone ever thought of imposing a popup that explains a little bit of a disclaimer the very first time someone goes to rate a recipe? you know, when they press the button, a popup appears explaining a little bit about what we would like to see in the reviews section as far as the star ratings go? i coulda worded it better, but i’m at work and completely distracted

4 Likes