Drunken Custard - Barrel and Wood Steeping Methods

You can send it to meā€¦ Iā€™ll keep it safe for yaā€¦:wink:

3 Likes

Sorry, not really; Iā€™m pretty new to this but the liquor store owner I spoke to, who is a bourbon guy, thought I might be able to just coat the barrel (swish a small amount around). Maybe that would cut down on the sugar absorption. My concern with sugar is coil gunk. After adding a small percentage of white Bacardi rum to a couple of mixes with no ill effects on me or my coils, I want to try a bourbon that has that caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, oak profile. But, of course, thereā€™s much more sugar in bourbon than white rum. If all else fails I can always try to replicate the profile with flavorings. Iā€™m happy to let you know how my science experiment turns out!

1 Like

Awesome thread. Love the idea and creativity. My wheels starting to spin now

1 Like

What is maximum temp heating ?
And can I see your stirrer plz
Thanks ā€¦

que? Where did you learn bourbon has sugar in it? It canā€™t have 0 carbs and also contain sugar.

Good news: If youā€™re drinking straight hard alcohol, you wonā€™t blow your daily carb budget. Hard alcohol ā€“ including vodka, gin, rum, tequila and whiskey ā€“ has 0 grams of carbs or sugar per ounce. These drinks get all their calories from alcohol, and range in calories from 65 calories from a 1-ounce shot of 80-proof vodka to 83 calories for a 1-ounce shot of 100-proof vodka, rum, gin or whiskey, to 100 calories for a 1.5-ounce shot of tequila. So while these drinks donā€™t eat into your total carb budget for the day, youā€™ll still add calories to your daily intake

2 Likes

Huh? Yer killin me man! You asked a liquor store owner how to make my e-juice? :smiley:
Fill the barrel to the tippy top with water. Cork. Rotate daily for a few days. Uncork and drain. Barrel wood is then swelled up enough to seal and not leak your juice everywhere. There isnā€™t enough sugar in a liter of rum that you should worry about pouring into the keg for a quick rinse and slight flavor impartation operation. Do that before the water soak. Do again after.

I donā€™t normally show my stirrer without having dinner or at least a quick introduction first. But you seem harmless.

All my thoughts on stirring and heating are shared there. Please read through and leave a few bucks on the counter when you go.

6 Likes

Welcome back. Long time no see.

3 Likes

Howdy Chris. I am here man. Lurking. I donā€™t have lots of time to play on the internet as much as I would like any more. But I watch the emails and skim by now and then and I try to respond when necessary :wink:

2 Likes

I am vaping the end of my oak based Custards. It has been a great experiment and so easily adaptable in various Creams and Custards. As I got to the end I tried extending it by splitting 50/50 with other steeped mixes ā€¦definitely time to make more. A two month steep produced about a 2X strength extraction, but as I was squeezing the last of the deliciousness out (50/50 splits) I found it added added an excellent finish and body which I enjoyed even more than the more distinct Oak. Translation> a 250ml -> 2 Month soak of Toasted oak Cubes could make 1L of tasty juice. Time to make more!

4 Likes

If anyone is interested in trying this, Oak Barrels Ltd has the 1L barrels on sale for $29.95 each. You can get them custom laser etched with standard fonts (3 lines of text), have them design a logo for you, or even send them your own logo design to be etched for $10/barrel. Itā€™s a pretty sweet deal.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up LV! I need to whip up a batch of Oaked VG

ā€¦ quick story
I went to an Estate Sale a few months back and there was a full sized oak barrel (I thought of you guys). It was $75 and I almost bought it, but it turned out they are only around $125 online ā€¦minus shipping. I keep thinking about it regretfully ā€¦would have been cool in my living room, but it was heavy and huge AF. It looked unused but old. There were too many questions and itā€™s owner wasnā€™t around to answer.

1 Like

That would make for a cool decoration if nothing else. I have seen people turn them into liquor cabinets, which is really cool. I toured Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey, and a few others years ago. I wanted so bad to have one of those Wild Turkey barrels in the trunk of my car when I left, but they never looked away long enough lol. Wild Turkey said they sell their used barrels to a whiskey company in Ireland when they are done with them.

4 Likes

Wow! Canā€™t believe the thing I was searching for so long online could be found here. Does this filter out good? The process reminds me of older times when my uncle used to have something like this. Oak barrels are super cool. And being a fan of custards myself , the barrels are really reasonably priced here. I hope the stuffā€™s amazing. Keep us posted!

4 Likes

Love that you found what you were looking for! While the above is a year plus old, Thank you for taking the time to search (whether it was using the icon above, or simply enjoying old threads).

@David5362 is the one who hooked me on the whole barrel thing! His Oak Barrel Bourbon is to this day one of the truly amazing gems buried in threads like this for readers to find.

Again, glad to have you here and finding hidden gems!

5 Likes

Thank you, Rob, the amazing thing is I still have about 100 mils stored in a corked wine bottle from the batch I gave away. Draw on it now and again and use it in other mixes and alone. Have not done the barrels in a while time and health has hampered me for some time now.

7 Likes

Very sorry to hear that.
I hope you get to doing better soon my friend!
Glad you still lurk (or at least have email notifications enabled)! chuckles

5 Likes

What about one of these? Says can enhance in only a few hoursā€¦

2 Likes

The first 3.eun from 80$ to 129.00 the last.is the 129.00 oneā€¦

1 Like

Well you just made my day. I took the word of others without doing any homework. Lesson learned.

1 Like

This is gonna be goodā€¦ .so extra wood chips or no? Would that be too much? I want a vanilla custard btw n if anyone would care to lend me a good recipe I still Am not comfortable enough to make a 1ltr of anything I have had ALOT of waste already. Itā€™s just getting gross :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes