Drunken Custard - Barrel and Wood Steeping Methods

Wow! Can’t believe the thing I was searching for so long online could be found here. Does this filter out good? The process reminds me of older times when my uncle used to have something like this. Oak barrels are super cool. And being a fan of custards myself , the barrels are really reasonably priced here. I hope the stuff’s amazing. Keep us posted!

4 Likes

Love that you found what you were looking for! While the above is a year plus old, Thank you for taking the time to search (whether it was using the icon above, or simply enjoying old threads).

@David5362 is the one who hooked me on the whole barrel thing! His Oak Barrel Bourbon is to this day one of the truly amazing gems buried in threads like this for readers to find.

Again, glad to have you here and finding hidden gems!

5 Likes

Thank you, Rob, the amazing thing is I still have about 100 mils stored in a corked wine bottle from the batch I gave away. Draw on it now and again and use it in other mixes and alone. Have not done the barrels in a while time and health has hampered me for some time now.

7 Likes

Very sorry to hear that.
I hope you get to doing better soon my friend!
Glad you still lurk (or at least have email notifications enabled)! chuckles

5 Likes

What about one of these? Says can enhance in only a few hours…

2 Likes

The first 3.eun from 80$ to 129.00 the last.is the 129.00 one…

1 Like

Well you just made my day. I took the word of others without doing any homework. Lesson learned.

1 Like

This is gonna be good… .so extra wood chips or no? Would that be too much? I want a vanilla custard btw n if anyone would care to lend me a good recipe I still Am not comfortable enough to make a 1ltr of anything I have had ALOT of waste already. It’s just getting gross :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Now I am in my head about this barrel, it was made in China so mass produced…I don’t even want to put anything in it I want to send it back and get a Canadian or at U.S one that’s proper…ugh jesus

1 Like

This is probably going to leak…its probably not air tight at.all…

1 Like

Okay, first off…Deep breath. :slight_smile: Don’t get ahead of yourself here. Hopefully someone else will chime in, but what about putting some water in it and seeing if it does in fact leak. I have read that this will actually make the wood swell a bit creating a tighter seal. Again, and I can’t stress this enough, I am going off things I have read. Could be crap. But sending it back might cost you a pretty penny. Not to mention the hassle of it.

So, lets say it does leak, can you use it as a decoration of some sort (for something else? ) It looks pretty and I bet you can come up with something creative to use it for. Sorry, I know, I’m sounding like an old mother hen right now, and well, guess I am LOL. I don’t want to see you get all upset is all.

5 Likes

It was a hundred bucks from Amazon…I should have just gone to a legit site and ordered a proper oak barell so in the end I’m mad at myself for wanting it today…I tried to order off wish…which was even worse its been a month and a half n they are running me around badly I paid them 77.00 so im into these things almost 200.00 when I should’ve just waited and got something proper…but thx I appreciate your input
Also what’s this tinfoil plastic thing inside of the barell?? Anyone know?

3 Likes

I just wanted oak vanilla custard…this has been a journey…wow.

2 Likes

Omg it’s worse I bought this thing…for 89.00 it is a fancy whisky swisher cup that I thought was a mini idk what it’s almost 300.00 I’m into this rabbit hole

But I have to say 2 hours into my swish it has changed my custard to a nice colour however I do see.what looks Tobe tiny chunks of wood.

1 Like

2 Likes

Nooooo they don’t know if or when this item but we don’t know if or when!!,we’ll get.It again! Your fucked lol!

1 Like

https://www.oakbarrelsltd.com/

They actually have a Vanilla one and its 40$
All good things come to those who wait…

Patience is a virtue

Young Grasshopper look before you leap

Lmao

7 Likes

I had to re-bumpt this 2016 post by @LordVapor

4 Likes

Well with the EXCHANGE RATE and shipping it will cost me 103.00 to get it here. But whatever by.the time I get my $ back from Amazon I’ll have it anyway…God what a rewarding nightmare this will be…and I checked canada it’s gonna cost that anyway…just in our own$

4 Likes

K I don’t have a heated stirrer I can’t see me standing more $ right now will it still wor k ?

3 Likes