Drunken Custard - Barrel and Wood Steeping Methods

http://www.saintfrankcoffee.com/our-coffees/bolivia-siete-estrellas

3 Likes

Ahh, phew! Lol

1 Like

Noā€¦3/4 of a pound.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the stuff baby! Knock you on your can delicious. This was a birthday present from my husband we donā€™t buy this coffee all the time. We order it once every 2-3 months. (It is is worth every dime though, all St. Frankā€™s coffees are fabulous)

3 Likes

@LordVapor hello! planning on giving this a shot, either with an oak barrel or wood chips. planning on mixing 1L~

looking for some support on material to use and also the filtration process?

TIA

1 Like

Appreciating the bump. If you use the materials linked above (Thanks @Ken_O_Where!) filtration might not be your problem

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/French-Oak-Cubes-Medium-Toast--25-oz_p_5461.html

The finer details on just how to get that oakey smokey flavor into a juice is more the challenge. I had some grand Smoked Oak Custard but I think it just had some moonshine poured in (crusty coils?) A real medium smoked oak extract would hit the spot @Walt_RealFlavors :wink:

Thanks for reminding me to order these @DIYjosh

Ooops and on Amazonā€¦

5 Likes

Your wish is my commandā€¦

http://www.realflavors.com/product/toasted-blend/

5 Likes

@BoDarc, @Walt_RealFlavors, thanks for the response.

right now its a toss up between using the same keg as shared. i was planning on pre-treating the oak barrel with jack daniels Tennessee honey whiskey for 3-4 weeks. for filtering of the whiskey and e-liquid from the oak barrel i found some inexpensive 200-220 micron natural material filtering bags used to making various types of nut milk and other extracts.

OR

using a flavor concentrate similar to what @Walt_RealFlavors has shared.

ill be sure to share as i go down whatever path i choose. ive already imported and adapted LordVaporā€™s original ā€œdrunken custardā€ to my shared profile including my adaptation of the mixing and maturing process. i plan to update it later with links to the products i use to create this recipe.

thanks again for sharing,

2 Likes

I like this the most because I have not just made a flavor order. Iā€™ll be picking up some of thatā€¦ :heart_eyes:

I used cheesecloth to filter the liquid. I have clamps that mount to the rod of my magnetic stirrer that hold the containers at whatever angle I need to let them drain completely.

Similar to this setup

I am back online here and there. I need a new PC but will chime in when I can. I wanted to tell you guys that the Drunken Custard I made here is a holy shit kinda good. I have 120 oz left. The people that have tried it were as blown away as I am. Buy many barrels right now. Steep everything in them LOL. I am not sure I will ever make anything else but barrel juice from now on.

10 Likes

Welcome home. :slight_smile:

With some of my oak chip tests i took them out after a month and then let the liquid cure for a couple more months.

I didnt really play around much after that but considered dropping a handful in a gallon of VG.

So many flavors, so little time.

5 Likes

Thanks! Missed ya man. I am sending you a PM.

3 Likes

do you soak it with pg, vg, a mix of pg/vg or something else?

I asked a lady from the company I bought the barrel from and she said to use water only. It is just to swell up the wood so it seals. The water evaporates.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a beauty! Iā€™m long and far away from mixing like this but Iā€™m a custard junkie and drooling as I write. Quite an inspiration, thank you.

1 Like

Aw snap! They discontinued this item. Iā€™ll be hunting around; really want one (or two, for the wine). Thx for the link.

The barrels that I bought are on sale guys! Really good deals on them right now. Both the black hoop and the galvanized are discounted - http://oakbarrelsltd.com/

3 Likes

You got me! I just purchased a 1 litre cask from the link you posted. Iā€™m new to diy and still experimenting with recipes but hoping a simple custard recipe will be enhanced by your method. Iā€™ve always wanted to try experimenting with liquor flavors so thanks for the inspiration.

2 Likes

For those of you into RF SC flavors I adapted one of the soul custardy recipes someone posted a private recipe sneak peek of and it turned out pretty tasty IMO

Soul Custardy v1.00 (RFSC)
1.75% Vanilla Custard (Real Flavors)
0.50% Cream (Real Flavors)
0.50% Graham Cracker (Real Flavors)
0.40% Butter Toffee (Real Flavors)
0.25% Bourbon (Real Flavors)
0.20% Brown Sugar (Real Flavors)

There are a few versions of it posted if you do a recipe search.

3 Likes

Oh boy, this sounds right up my alley! A 1000 thx

1 Like