Drunken Custard - Barrel and Wood Steeping Methods

Drunken Custard sitting for 6 days. Put a drop on my finger to taste and, I gotta say wow, I am liking this so far. I can really taste the oak. Right now the Butter Pecan is up front but not too much. I got a good sensory sensation of all the flavors, except maybe the MF Vanilla. Not surprised, according to your description of it. Can’t wait for that to happen, I love my vanilla! Thx again for your help.

1 Like

Cool man. I really hope you like it as much as my friends and I do. My buddy at the vape shop loves this juice. I told him I may tweak it and he said don’t change a thing LOL. He’s a pretty big guy so I think I am gonna do as he says. The last of my year old batch is almost gone. I have another starting this weekend. I plan to mix a couple thousand ml of various recipes this weekend.

2 Likes

I just sent a bottle to my friend who sends me her original recipes. I told her all about it and she can’t wait. I’ve been using the base to make different flavors. Even a simple 2-3 flavor recipe is enhanced in this base. Poifect for a newb! Almost can’t go wrong.

I’ve also been using real rum in some recipes. Wasn’t sure how it would work out but really liking it. I just got NF Butterscotch (per recommendation from HIC) and plan to try a couple of scotches with it. We’ll see…

1 Like

Revisiting this topic with a question for you. I want to put bourbon in my barrel so I can steep my juice in a “bourbon barrel”. Problem is, I don’t drink the stuff and hate to waste good bourbon and $$. Do you think just adding 10% real bourbon to my vg custard base will do the trick? Thx for the help.

1 Like

@muth Real Liquor usually has some sugar which is allegedly bad to vape… on the other hand some of the best vapes I have had have small amounts of sugar …but don’t listen to me :wink:

2 Likes

You could store your bourbon in the barrel for a couple weeks. That would get the flavor into the custard when you steeped the custard. Shouldn’t hurt anything. But yeah the sugars would be carried into the vape, but I doubt their would be enough to worry about.

2 Likes

Really glad to hear this is working out for you. I have gone through two barrels of this juice and my friends can’t get enough of it. I am mixing up a third barrel as soon as I restock some of my flavors. I haven’t tried any of the other methods for imparting wood flavorings into the juice. This seems to do the trick for me. Do you have any other thoughts on it since playing around with this?

1 Like

oh yeeah I’m enjoying some right now… This is such a better flavor than any extract (oak)

ssshhhh I just published this… I can attest that I am vaping this without steeping and it’s not bad …not sure how that’s possible (looking at ingredient list). Kentucky Bourbon is at a minimum …wondering what else might be good in there? I’m even thinking Oatmeal Cookie RF SC …maybe some Brandy FA or some INW Whiskey?

Oh and this recipe was for a concentrated 2 Month oak Cube extraction …with a One Month extraction you could use full strength (no added plain VG/PG)

Adding 2% CAP VBIC added a definite Dairy Cream (shaved off 2% CAP VC v1) …I hope this makes it to 4 weeks steep …have to hide it from myself :wink:

3 Likes

You can send it to me… I’ll keep it safe for ya…:wink:

3 Likes

Sorry, not really; I’m pretty new to this but the liquor store owner I spoke to, who is a bourbon guy, thought I might be able to just coat the barrel (swish a small amount around). Maybe that would cut down on the sugar absorption. My concern with sugar is coil gunk. After adding a small percentage of white Bacardi rum to a couple of mixes with no ill effects on me or my coils, I want to try a bourbon that has that caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, oak profile. But, of course, there’s much more sugar in bourbon than white rum. If all else fails I can always try to replicate the profile with flavorings. I’m happy to let you know how my science experiment turns out!

1 Like

Awesome thread. Love the idea and creativity. My wheels starting to spin now

1 Like

What is maximum temp heating ?
And can I see your stirrer plz
Thanks …

que? Where did you learn bourbon has sugar in it? It can’t have 0 carbs and also contain sugar.

Good news: If you’re drinking straight hard alcohol, you won’t blow your daily carb budget. Hard alcohol – including vodka, gin, rum, tequila and whiskey – has 0 grams of carbs or sugar per ounce. These drinks get all their calories from alcohol, and range in calories from 65 calories from a 1-ounce shot of 80-proof vodka to 83 calories for a 1-ounce shot of 100-proof vodka, rum, gin or whiskey, to 100 calories for a 1.5-ounce shot of tequila. So while these drinks don’t eat into your total carb budget for the day, you’ll still add calories to your daily intake

2 Likes

Huh? Yer killin me man! You asked a liquor store owner how to make my e-juice? :smiley:
Fill the barrel to the tippy top with water. Cork. Rotate daily for a few days. Uncork and drain. Barrel wood is then swelled up enough to seal and not leak your juice everywhere. There isn’t enough sugar in a liter of rum that you should worry about pouring into the keg for a quick rinse and slight flavor impartation operation. Do that before the water soak. Do again after.

I don’t normally show my stirrer without having dinner or at least a quick introduction first. But you seem harmless.

All my thoughts on stirring and heating are shared there. Please read through and leave a few bucks on the counter when you go.

6 Likes

Welcome back. Long time no see.

3 Likes

Howdy Chris. I am here man. Lurking. I don’t have lots of time to play on the internet as much as I would like any more. But I watch the emails and skim by now and then and I try to respond when necessary :wink:

2 Likes

I am vaping the end of my oak based Custards. It has been a great experiment and so easily adaptable in various Creams and Custards. As I got to the end I tried extending it by splitting 50/50 with other steeped mixes …definitely time to make more. A two month steep produced about a 2X strength extraction, but as I was squeezing the last of the deliciousness out (50/50 splits) I found it added added an excellent finish and body which I enjoyed even more than the more distinct Oak. Translation> a 250ml -> 2 Month soak of Toasted oak Cubes could make 1L of tasty juice. Time to make more!

4 Likes

If anyone is interested in trying this, Oak Barrels Ltd has the 1L barrels on sale for $29.95 each. You can get them custom laser etched with standard fonts (3 lines of text), have them design a logo for you, or even send them your own logo design to be etched for $10/barrel. It’s a pretty sweet deal.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up LV! I need to whip up a batch of Oaked VG

… quick story
I went to an Estate Sale a few months back and there was a full sized oak barrel (I thought of you guys). It was $75 and I almost bought it, but it turned out they are only around $125 online …minus shipping. I keep thinking about it regretfully …would have been cool in my living room, but it was heavy and huge AF. It looked unused but old. There were too many questions and it’s owner wasn’t around to answer.

1 Like

That would make for a cool decoration if nothing else. I have seen people turn them into liquor cabinets, which is really cool. I toured Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey, and a few others years ago. I wanted so bad to have one of those Wild Turkey barrels in the trunk of my car when I left, but they never looked away long enough lol. Wild Turkey said they sell their used barrels to a whiskey company in Ireland when they are done with them.

4 Likes