Ecig blows up on local vapor

That appears to be a King Mechanical Mod. Notice the nut look just below the tank. However, the bottom section, are we looking at the fire button? If so the king has the same nut look at the bottom as well meaning this ass pieced parts together to make this mod. If willing to do that, who knows what the batteries were like that were used. As usual I would say this is someone who disregarded safety and paid the price. Sad thing, more fuel for the FDA…

3 Likes

@quitter1 you may be exaclty right about him being uneducated and uninformed. Then again he’s very young, and young men especially tend to ignore sound advice…listening instead to their testosterone-laden ego. It may be that Tim the Toolman Taylor syndrom got him.

I know firsthand that many, many vape shops are run by uneducated and uninformed people. The other day I was out vape-shop-hopping and the guy asked me if he could help. I said I was looking to see if they carry the XCube 2. He said no and went over to his computer, did a Google search and then came back and slapped a Tesla TC mod up on the counter and said “this is exactly the same thing.”

I couldn’t even respond. I just walked out the door. This is mild in comparison to other things but it’s the most recent and really just speaks to the way many vape shops will say anything to make a sale. So guy walks in, vape shop employee blows a HUGE cloud. Guy thinks I want that. Then he’s sold a crappy mech clone, some crap batteries and a crap cloned topper/kanthal/cotton and sent on his way. Seen this played out many time.

But no one needs to go anywhere to learn how much misleading info is out there. Just watch some YouTube videos on temperature control. Holy cow is there some crazy info out there!

4 Likes

Actually as you can see the REAL King mod only has the nut on the top, or maybe a not so pronounced nut on the bottom. Apparently the clone has the nut top and bottom that are the same size, My Bad…

1 Like

Some are saying the mod is home made. IDK?
Others say he had it in his pocket, got real hot and then fired it. Since the mod had no vent holes the explosion was forced back through the coil blowing the drip tip into his teeth and burning the the roof of his mouth.

The mod doesn’t look homemade to me.
I left him a message on his Facebook page asking him to please tell us his story. Telling him that if he felt that it was important enough for him to call the local news station than he wouldn’t mind explaining what happen to the vaping community. You know for safety.

The truth I’m afraid, others said, big tobacco paid him to call news and share his story for their propaganda. Since this happened back in July, why take so long to share his story. Then go into hiding.

4 Likes

@ringling is that a stacked 18650 mod too?

Supplying 8.4v?

CMJ

1 Like

If its in fact a king (or clone) they are single 18650 or lower depending on tube. But teh biggest battery setting is 18650.

1 Like

Absolutely not, at least not supposed to be. It has extra sleeve parts so a 18350, OR, 18650 can be used. At least the ones that went through my shop. Won’t say there are none since I have heard of people stacking batteries. However, I do not believe any of these mechanical mod makers are purposely making mods that their intention is to allow stacking batteries. Could be wrong though…

2 Likes

Just wanted to double check.

Because you never know…

This could be a case of a re wrapped inferior battery even, we all know about the counterfeit VTC’s batteries out there.

Powering a device pushing 22A through it and only having a 10A re wrapped battery for example.

God I hope this kid speaks out properly about what really happened.

Otherwise he’s just another statistic for more regulation.

CMJ

3 Likes

If he speaks up to say he’s a dumb ass, pretty unlikely, whether true or not. If he’s being paid, we all know that answer…

4 Likes

if I remember correctly even if he used both sleeves, its still not long enough to commit two 18650’s. Not sure on the 350’s though, the tube will be too long in that case.

1 Like

I don’t know much about stick mods like these but to me it looks to almost be homemade or something? Looks to be a cheap pipe of some sort and not a market mod? It just doesn’t look right to me? Then again I don’t have much experience with mods like this-
I have seen a lot of cases of mods exploding in faces and not one of them have been from a reputable company or a real market mod. Just some idiot with shit bunk batteries or a augmented mod of sorts. It’s a sad story and I feel bad for the guy but something just doesn’t look right?
It’s just sad because the media and regulators are going to have a field day with this! The general public will rarely look past this as an accident or faulty whatever and just point their finger at vaping in general. Of course we all want to be safe but accidents happen with everything, regulated or not!
Doesn’t matter if its a simple stuffed animal or a battery, accidents happen with everything!
isn’t that right @Josephine_van_Rijn :wink:

2 Likes

If I remember correctly you can not fit the two together to even fit a 18350 and a 18650 stacked. It has certain parts to use with one, or the other…

1 Like

I haven’t used mech mods in some time now. I feel the regulated ones are much safer and besides, I can chuck plenty of clouds with any number of gizmos I have doing 30 - 60 watts. But at least if one of the box mods blows up you stand to lose maybe some flesh off your hand rather than a tube turning into a mortar and rocketing into your cranium! Yikes!

4 Likes

They sure will but they do that anyway, even without morons like this blowing themselves up. If it suits their agenda they will lie, they do that all the time. We’re not dealing with rational people here, they are a greedy, money grabbing, power-hungry bunch of psychopaths who smell money.

5 Likes

Preach it baby! Preach it!!
I made the mistake of googling other cases like this and they all end the same way…in a vape hunt…
They don’t blame the idiots using 2 different batteries or homemade mods or shit there’s a guy that dropped his mod and when he picked it up it was making a funny noise…so what does this genius do? He puts it to his ear and shakes it…BOOM
They blame vaping. But we all know this sad truth

3 Likes

To me it looks like he was using a naked battery, theres no wrap on #3 and no burn marks on it, so there should be part of a wrap left.

1 Like

I didn’t read every post in this thread, so apologies if this was addressed, but what could cause it to blow up? I don’t know much about mech mods other than they are very basic. So does the coil determine how many amps are needed? So if his battery could only supply lets say 20 amps, but the coil demanded 30 or so… kabloowey?

1 Like

Basically in simple terms yes.

Using ohms law you calculate how many amps your coil build will generate at 4.2v and at 3.7v.

Most well known 18650’s have amp limits in the region of 20A-30A continuous draw.

Which means you can build on a single cell a coil between circa .15ohms-.24ohms

Obviously it’s up to the individual what build you create.

Now reputable 18650 cells also have pulse limits.
Some say things like 95A for 0.5s, 45A for 3s, 30A for 6s and 20A continuously.

These are where people can build super sub ohm below .1ohms and still be “kind of” safe by following the pulse limits in seconds. Etc.

Now.

Let’s say this guy got a re wrapped inferior battery badged as a Sony VTC5 for example. 30A continuous draw.

But in actuality that battery was merely a 10A continuous draw.
Let’s say he built a Super Sub ohm build of 0.06ohms at 3.7v then he would have been pulsing 62A on the battery.

Pretty much a MASSIVE no no.

CMJ

1 Like

So if anything needs to be regulated, it’s these damn companies rewrapping batteries. They need to test their product and be honest about what kind of power is behind them.

I’m sure there are people here who think differently, but I’ll never trust a battery from any company who didn’t make it themselves.

Here’s a good video I found about some rewrapped batteries:

6 Likes

Hear, hear, the words of wisdom!
I get mine at www.nkon.nl Samsung 25R, they have the best price and they are legit not rewrapped.

4 Likes