Ecig blows up on local vapor

Ok… so the guy could well have been using dodgey batteries…
But, what if…
Now, thats a pretty short positive pin on the atlantis… (assuming, of course, thats what the tank actually was).
With a mech mod, doesnt the center pin of the unit thats attached to it come in direct contact with the battery when firing?..& if the thread surrounding the center pin contacts the battery as well… doesnt that equal :bomb:?? (seriously, please correct me if I’m wrong!)
I dont have a MM, & I’ve never used one so I’m hypothesizing a bit here, but I would’ve thought this pin is much shorter than it should be if its on a mech mod.
Surely, even the best battery('s) in the world would have to short sooner or later.
Darwin awards…here we come!

3 Likes

Not sure it was a hybrid mod - but I do advise against hybrid mods, unless you have an atty that has a protruding positive pin, and absolutely not will depress… I’ve been close to venting a battery a couple of times with my SMPL mod…

5 Likes

Me neither and I’m not planning to. I can understand people using them in the past when there wasn’t much around, apart from ego style mods, but there are so many regulated mods on the market today that perform extremely well, that I don’t see the point of taking the risk. I’ve never had my eye on the Darwin Award, well actually I did but that was when I was too young to realise I was aiming for one.

7 Likes

Very similar story here.

This guy breaks down the possible reason.

Hybrid 4 9 mod with Aspire Atlantis tank with non adjustable centre pin causing a possible short.

Cmj

3 Likes

My preferred tank is the Aspire Atlantis V2 tank and I use it on the IPV4, is this safe? After looking at this Atlanta case and the earlier case BOTH seem to be the Atlantis model. Should I consider changing tanks?

1 Like

The issue is not the tank but the device used to fire it.

The IPV4 is fine.

The issue is mainly with mech and hybrid mods and dumbasses not knowing what the f*ck their doing.

Cmj

4 Likes

If that is a King Mod as I suspect then no. If it is indeed a Hybrid then the answer would be yes. This much I can tell you, the Atlantis IS INDEED said to be dangerous when used on a SMY which is a Hybrid and the center pin rests directly on the battery. So I would assume this to be true of any hybrid…

1 Like

The issue is the fact that the center pin of the Atlantis was resting directly on the battery. On the Atlantis the center pin does not stick out enough from the base to avoid direct shorts to the battery. Most regulated mods (if not all) have to some degree, Short Detection of the tank. If the battery itself shorted internally then your regulated mod could not see this but a short in the tank it will see. You have nothing to worry about unless you are using a hybrid mechanical mod…

2 Likes

Agreed! Whole heartedly! I “had” a Tarsius 4Nine “once”…nuff said!

3 Likes

Not to offend anyone who is partial to mech mods, I have around 20 different ones. I just don’t and haven’t used them since I started using VV / VW / TC Box Mods (IPV2 , IPV mini II , IPV4 100W , Sigelei 150W etc.). Even when I was using my mech tubes , I only used Drippers on them, . . NEVER tanks and I of course understand ohms law and learned to build my own coils correctly! I guarantee that tube got hot before the battery/batteries vented and blew! I’ve never heard of an 18650 battery going off in the blink of an eye, like C-4 upon detonation. Unless he was vaping on his mech while wearing boxing gloves, I don’t see how or why he didn’t perceive the warning signs.

I’m truly sorry this kid was injured but anyone not educated about using mech mods, . . shouldn’t use them!!!

8 Likes

AMEN!
/10 char

3 Likes

I’m sure most people in little town thought the same thing when the proposal to ban cigarette smoking went on the ballot in 2006 but it passed. Now the same law has been passed statewide.

1 Like

I’ve been nominated for a few of those but never won one. Usually in the car and marriage categories.

1 Like

I never win anything :sob: It is too late to get one now, I’ve already reproduced.

1 Like

I truly hate that ANYONE got injured.

But the sad truth here is you really can’t stop ignorance.
Ignorance when mixed with testosterone end awfully most every time.

With cigarettes, they are somewhat dummy proof even now with cigarettes that are fire safe.

Ya just gotta know ANY BATTERY will overheat & swell before it vents or detonates these are basic physics of a battery cell.

1 Like

Hi guys,

New member here to the forums. :grinning:

The mod in the screen cap is a Skeleton Key mech mod. Same threading as the kingmod. Has a funky switch that has a tendency to get stuck.

SubOhm tank + mech mod= boom. The pin on the Atlantis is tank as most of you probably know has the mechanics of it being spring loaded.

Anyways, wanted to drop in and say hi.

Take it easy.

2 Likes