Facebook groups and the rating system

Maybe they didn’t vote at all?
Unfortunatelly I have mixed a lot of crappy recipies but never gave a one star vote. :joy:
And believe me, if you like Dinner’s Lady Lemon Tart, there is no way not to love this one.

And I gave 3 stars to BAN.
I don’t think that this is a bad rating, since I used it as an idea but I couldn’t vape the original…
I think that this is democratic enough. :smile:

Also, I don’t rate every single mix that my friends put and if you can see, my recipes are not on the top (except Kiss).
Try this one and rate it for example. :slight_smile:

As for Goofy’s Juice, wait for it to steep and see.
For me it is even better after a month’s steeping.

If you rated the recipe what you felt it deserved then that is all anyone can ask.

Again, what does another persons post have to do with rating Alisa’s recipe lower because of someone else. One can only be responsible for their own actions. And she did threaten to spank him. :confused:

And no one is blaming you guys for what your followers do, that would be silly. When a mix goes from unposted to 79 5 star votes in 24 hours there are going to be questions, i think you can understand why there would be.

Thanks, exactly what i had in mind. I cure everything 1 month minimum.

1 Like

Hello friends,

I am part of the administrative team of the now-famous Greek FB group Vape Alchemists. I have been aware of the whole situation that you are discussing and was informed about the existence of this thread only today. Please bare in mind that our group has 9000+ users and it is the second most populated DIY-only group in the world behind DIYorDIE. It is not a generic vaping group, posts about hardware or unrelated to DIY things are getting insta-removed. The group has a radio show, members that go live on youtube vaping streams, many giudes from the very basic to the ultra extreme and it is extremelly active.

I fully understand that any admin of a service like ELR would consider the phenomena we are discussing here as “abuse” because thy vary a lot from the norm and they look suspicious. But I would like to point out some special circumstances in Greece that make it far more logical than it looks. Greece is a country with 2 cities comprising 70% of its population. There are vaping gatherings that people go and try the recipes before they are posted in the group or ELR or ATF. Many people have already made up their minds days ahead and that explains how it is possible for a recipe to get so many insta-votes. This is totally different than USA where vape-friends don’t ever meet in real-life.

Voodootroll’s recipes are so popular here that vape shops order concentrates according to them. CAP’s Lemon Meringue Pie is almost sold-out in Athens as we speak. His line of juice (VnV Liquids) went sold-out country-wide in 4 days after hitting the shops. It is no accident that one of his recipes broke through like that and reached the top getting above recipes that stand in the first page of ELR for years. In my opinion, that highlights a problem in ELR’s rating system that proves that it is almost impossible for a new recipe to reach the first page. A system with “popular new recipes” and “all time recipes” would be a very nice addition to the service as it will allow other gems to reach the frontpage.

Also bear in mind that in my opinion the votes that Lemon Tart took so far are way below the number it would take if all people that mixed it yesterday voted. I would estimate that more than 500 people, maybe close to 1000 will mix this recipe today, especially since vape shops were closed yesterday and people couldn’t buy concentrates.

I hope that was helpful to explain this.

Best Regards,
Sarakenidis Nikos

15 Likes

Well, if my purpose would be to drop the recipe, I wouldn’t give it 3 stars. :slight_smile:
Also, no matter that Shane was rude to me, I helped him with his recipe and gave him 3 stars (and I am the only one who rated it actually :smiley: )

1 Like

Makes me happy to hear that vaping has taken off so well over there, anytime someone quits smoking is a victory for all of us. We also have vape gatherings, perhaps not us in the particular group since we live so far away from each other.

Im quite certain that something like this is in the works, this has been discussed many times.

I dont really do the facebook thing, i try but i just hate it so much. Our group here is a bit different than our facebook page thingy. Facebook, while regularly used by some, is a jumping off point to here. The sum total of our shared knowledge is on this site, we have a lot of long time mixers and new mixers but we are all family here.

I appreciate you taking the time to stop in to explain your side of the situation and it has been nice to meet you all. It is 6AM and ive not slept yet, im going to lie down before my body decides to shut down in this chair.

16 Likes

i was not referring to you personally,but since you bring this up i need to say that it is not my bussiness if you make money and what you do with them.trandism explained everything that had to be explained i think and it is the first time that someone from “vape alchemists” group expresses what we all have in mind.
i can understand the difficulties to manage a huge site like elr,but i think i have the right to express my opinion about something that i feel is wrong.i did not come to your house(like in your example), i just visited a site that helps me a lot with my hobby(right next to where i type now there is a yellow label that says “Constructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas, not people”.
thank you very much for your answer,really.it was not in my intentions to insult anyone and i think i didn’t.but i saw my nikname in a list above and that made me furious.thank you again
nikpal Nikos Palierakis

2 Likes

I agree with @Ken_O_Where, Thanks for the share.

@trandism is that radio broadcast in English? It has got to be pretty cool to meet and hang out with people you talk to mainly on your forum. Y’all have a unique and interesting dynamic as a group, sounds like fun.

How cool would it be if we had some sort of meet up? I would love to meet my brothers and sisters and mothers and fathers in the forum in real life.

7 Likes

Nope, all material (broadcasts, guides) are in Greek since being in English would alienate many of our members unfortunately. We are thinking of putting out a dischord server that would have an english-only lobby and post material in English as well. We are trying to reach out to non-Greek speakers but it’s not so easy apparently. Living in a small country has its pros and cons. Meeting in real life with internet friends is one of the few advantages.

6 Likes

I’m seriously impressed! The best I would have predicted would have been detente.

Thanks to the “group” for posting your opinions on the matter.

As you can see from previous posts though, your 5 star rampage was systematic and only done to “boost” your own(group) recipes for whatever reason.

I, myself couldn’t care less about stars but the rating system is there for a reason, to give new visitors to the site a fairly decent chance of mixing something that the majority rated as a decent vape, rather than having them mix something that the minority has “boosted”, for whatever reason.

If you could just refrain from “boosting” that would be great.

I wish you the best of luck in your mixing and your FB group.

3 Likes

Your comment implies that this “boosting” was done on order from us (admins of the group) or the recipe creators. I can assure you that this is not the case. I’m not into a position to give orders to anyone and stop him from doing anything he likes outside of the FB group. There was NOT any order or plan to execute. These ratings are legit in the sense that the people who made them did it on their own without any organization from our part.

Hi Grubby
I wouldn’t say “boost”.
But if you share a recipe in a facebook group with, let’s say 100 people, isn’t it logical that 1 or 2 will mix it and leave a feedback to ELR?
It would be a boost if we had something to earn from it. :smile:

1 Like

My comment doesn’t imply anything.

My comment states a fact, “boosting” is happening, I asked for it to stop.

At no point did I say it was orchestrated by admins or anyone in particular. :+1:

3 Likes

How is it possible for something like that to “stop” if it is done by people’s own free will. I cannot comprehend what are you asking for to be honest.

Then you haven’t read previous posts.

We can see that members of your group are systematically 5 star rating each other’s recipes over a very short period of time.

That in my eyes is “boosting”.

3 Likes

I have read all posts on the subject. And I have written a thourough explanation on why this is happening according to what I know about it. Have you read my post? I’d love to read your observations on it. I don’t care if you call it “boosting” or anything you like. I’m just trying to explain to you that it is not possible to stop it.

1 Like

@Ken_O_Where can you please explain to these guys that if they systematically 5 star lots of recipes over a very short period of time that it looks like “boosting”.

I’m trying to but I’m failing miserably :laughing:

2 Likes

You’re trying to explain something to 4-5 people from the group that read this thread. That’s a drop in the ocean. More than 1000 people have seen the post in our group that gives the recipe, almost 400 of them have liked it, who knows how many people mixed it, 81 of them at this point have rated in on ELR. Do you want me to go to one of our most valuable member’s post that has hundred of views and tell people not to rate the recipe? Please explain to me a procedure that seems logical to you because it’s my turn now to fail misserably in understanding what you really want.

1 Like

And the funny part is that 3 of us had the recipe before it went public. :joy: