Flavors eating plastic bottles! Request for flavor sellers/rebottlers to sell in glass bottles only

Honestly @muth I’m not looking for scratches, but I don’t scrub mine either, only soak in warm soapy water 24 hours, rinse, soak in clean water 24 hours, then rinse, and dry. If I get one that DOES get wrinkley, I just toss it, and grab a new one.

I mentioned permeability of the LDPE, BUT, let’s talk about “breaking down”. Remember hearing about certain flavors “eating” bottles ?? Def. cinnamons, some citrus/lemons, and more. PET is hardened, and holds up to about everything we (DIY) can throw at them.

Some more info …

The 4 types of material

LDPE – Low-density polyethylene. This material is what they make the really squeezy, thin plastic bottles out of. LDPE is defined by a density range of 0.917-0.930 g/cm3. It’s not reactive at normal temperatures except by some solvents or strong oxidising agents.

HDPE – High-density polyethylene. A very common plastic used in many different applications, from milk bottles to fuel tanks for vehicles. HDPE is defined by a density range of 0.930-0.970 g/cm3. It can withstand higher temperatures and is less reactive than LDPE.

PET – Polyethylene Terephthalate. The strongest, most rigid and least reactive of the plastic bottles used for e-liquid. Commonly used for short fill bottles.

Glass – Doesn’t really need an introduction does it? I like mine with bourbon and coke in.

The truth is that any of these materials are absolutely fine for holding e-liquid. For long term storage, I would probably steer clear of LDPE bottles though, as depending on the e-liquid contained within them, you may run into issues if you’re planning to keep the e-liquid for several months/years.

All of the constituent parts of e-liquid are stored and sold in HDPE or PET bottles from the manufacturer. This tells me:

The manufacturers are guaranteeing that the bottle material will not react with the ingredients over the given time frame (best before).
If plastics truly do leach into e-liquid all of the ingredients are already fucked at the point of manufacture.

Of all of the ingredients in e-liquid, it is the flavourings that contain the most volatile chemicals. So, if Capella are happy to manufacture, store and ship in HDPE bottles then logically, the same ingredients further diluted, should pose even less of a risk.

People who talk about plastic bottles leaching into e-liquid when referring to PET or HDPE bottles are talking nonsense. Chemists often keep acids in HDPE and PET bottles or beakers because of how unreactive the materials are. Does nobody remember the scene in breaking bad where they dispose of the body using hydrofluoric acid? Walter White knew. I’ll take the science of a fictional, cancer stricken chemistry teacher turned meth dealer over bro science any day of the week.

Source:

2 Likes

Does THIS ^^^^ work for you ?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes it does and I’m annoyed by the different data I come across online. I came to this thread looking for the perspective of another vaper whom I could trust with bottle knowledge. I thought I was confident in what I’ve been using until I found the “other” science. Probably companies wanting to push their products by dissing the others, for all I know. That’s what I get for being OCD and falling in online rabbit holes. Thx for the help :+1:

3 Likes

Im 100pct PET …I dont mind my MF flaves in PET but i do keep.them in glass. Im 100pct in agreement with SD on this …I dont reuse anything anymore but thats just bc i have no time to wash bottles.

1 Like

I would have HOPED to keep all of my MF in their glass bottles, BUT, I started having issues with the rubber squeeze bulbs. Either a few started to leak, or pass air, and I finally just went through the hassle, and put them all in PET.

Who makes the indestructible squeeze bulbs now ??

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also got some from NR when they blew them out so PET it was…Remember to request a cap for the flavors when you buy direct . The rubber on the droppers will leach into your extract and it will adhere itself to glass

2 Likes

Hehe, I always forgot to do that, and all of mine EXCEPT the volatile ones, came with droppers.

1 Like

Because of you warning me about MF’s dropper leaching into the flavors, I asked them to send me regular caps to replace the droppers. They were so kind and followed through.

3 Likes

SD, there is a special glass dropper that’s available guaranteed to be air tight. You’ll have to search it because it’s been too long and I don’t remember where I saw it but it’s definitely a lab or botanical oil item.

1 Like

I keep a couple ML in PET and the rest of it in glass.

I always order MF from MF, they come with polycone caps and they send the dropper in a bag. Never had them sent with a dropper om the bottle, well not form them anyways.

I too bought a shit ton when NR went down and kept them in the PET bottles, i hadnt had any issues at all with them, they are all in PG tho.

3 Likes