Frankenskull mech mod

I’m getting a frankenskull mod, never had a mech mod, what’s the safest build for ohmage and is LG and Samsung batteries the best to get tia

The chart below is from Mooch , he has tested these and determined what their safe limits are.

If you don’t have a good 510 tester/meter get one ordered now .This will get you started , you do know about Steam Engine Correct? If not check that out before you build.
http://rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.htm
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/18650-battery-ratings-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/

5 Likes

I’d repeat what @BoyHowdy said. Trust in Mooch, everything else is marketing and anecdote. That said, my anecdote plays out thusly:

You will need a reliable ohm reader, and if you are building below 1 ohm, your fancypants multimeter is trash compared to even a crappy ohm reader. $30 for an ohm meter from usaohmeters.com is money well spent certainly.

As a person that is new to mech mods, you should be making the calculation based on nominal battery voltage of 3.7v, not concerning yourself with voltage drop or pulse ratings until you are more comfortable.

As to what battery I’d choose, I’ve got this trouble where rewrapped batteries sketch me out. I typically only use cells from LG or Samsung, and I only buy them from illumn.com. You’ll do well starting out with HE4 or 25R5, and keeping your builds a bit north of .2 ohm, say .25. This gives you plenty of safety margin beyond the max discharge rating of the battery.

It is critically important that you practice good battery safety. Never carry bare batteries in your pockets or bags. Never use batteries with damaged wrappers. Pretty quickly you’ll be able to feel when battery charge drops off, it just doesn’t fire the same. When that happens, change the battery, don’t risk over discharge.

Be aware of pocket firing and protect yourself. You can get burned pretty badly, it can wreck your mod, or your batteries can fail if it goes off pocket firing for 2 minutes straight. At a minimum it will destroy your build, and you’ll be on the street with no vape till you fix it.

Good luck, and remember the only safety in a mech mod is the operator, so try not to get on the news.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I usually build around 0.2 to 0.3ohm, only used regulated mods before, just needed some advice on batteries, think I’ll go with LG or Samsung, thanks again

----- Reply message -----

One of the best batteries out there for mech mods is Sonys VCT5A, i only use them myself in my mechs and i am really happy with how they perform.

1 Like

One of the lucky ones. I know several people who have been trying to buy a Frankies since last January.
Lg hb4 and 6, Sony VTC 5A for high amperage and safety. Just change them often and be aware of time between pulls. Check your batteries for heating up. That’s as concise as I can get.

As far at batteries, the VCT mentioned above is probably the best choice due to its amp limits.

On the topic of mech’s and coils, the perfect operating environment is a result of coil mass (surface area, vapour production, versus resistance, versus ramp up time.
Putting big builds and captions etc in a single 18650 mech can be disappointing due to the ramp up time. I opt for a simple 0.2-0.3ohm build using 24G dual coils at 6 wraps each, which gives me a great vape using a single battery :slight_smile:

1 Like