Frothing... do you feel it causes "sugar" to separate?

i recently got excited about frothing as a fast-steeping method. saw a video on YT and the guy swears by it. so i took a shot - frothed my juice, waited till it cleared but i felt i’m vaping on a cappuccino foam. the taste of my mix was too sweet or sugary, and i could see small particles in my tank - this is mainly a fruit flavor mix. no creams.

i tried the exact same mix again, this time no frothing, just hot bath and shaking few times. didn’t get the sugary feeling. flavor is more, hmmm… as expected…!

i got the impression frothing may be causing the sugar molecules to separate somehow - and that would give a different flavor profile from the same ingredients. like when you froth milk or coffee. is this the right conclusion… ? i stopped frothing since then but wanted to check for some other experiences??

do you froth? does it change your mix flavor profile? does it get “sweety”

3 Likes

Do I froth and does it get sweety? Are you trying to get arrested or something? :joy::laughing::scream:

11 Likes

Did you wait a day for the mixture to settle down.

5 Likes

But seriously… I heat my liquid for a short time after I mix to thin it out, blend it and combine the mix better. When I shake it when its warm it will make bubbles - a darn lot of bubbles. I don’t froth but have noticed if I vape it right away when its foamy like that it’s pretty harsh. Now what I am not sure of is if it’s because bubble have oxygen and the oxygen is burning up. When you vape you are throwing a lot of heat and it stands to reason air bubbles would make the vape hotter…kind of like blowing on a camp fire to get the flame going hotter. Like I said … not sure.

1 Like

apologies if these words have other meaning guys. english not my first language :slight_smile: we’re in the DIY mixing context here ( i hope i didn’t just make it worse)

5 Likes

No I apologize, I was just joking with you! I could not resist the temptation to be a goof ball.

5 Likes

You are awesome! This is a fun post!

3 Likes

i did wait after frothing - thing is, with frothing that milky layer is much stronger and will somehow remain. when i heat and shake, there are bubbles but then juice clears and blends much faster.

another test i did, after frothing, heat-bath the juice and shake. milkiness “almost” goes away. that what made me think, that sugar molecules separate with frothing, and heating combines them again. so frothing didn’t add any value and it might have caused some “flavors” to escape, for me that’s = don’t do it

2 Likes

I don’t vape anything that has lots of “sugar molecules”. And I would wait to vape on your juice until all the bubbles have dissipated and the juice is clear.

2 Likes

That’s a good thing to know. Some folks on the forum don’t add any heat at all and they swear by it.

3 Likes

@TheFlavorSeeker Frothing has been an excellent post mix routine in my mixing experience…but it doesn’t represent a speed steeping method in of itself (for me)…Indeed it does assist in the thorough blending of the VG, PG, and flavors, but by no means is an end-all process…I incorporate it in my routine to do a variety of things in addition to the blending attributes…For flavors which contain high amounts of flavor “volatiles”, frothing helps in the dispersion of these volatiles (which create a harsh vape), so that they will further be removed via a cap off process for about 12 hours after mixing/frothing…Flavour Art Forest Fruit (one of my favorites and most experienced with) is a prime example of this…It contains volatiles in it which if vaped immediately after mixing or after an insufficient steep time, which contribute to a harsh vape (for me)… I have found that after frothing/12 hour cap off breath/2 week steep, 1st week visiting daily to squeeze a bit of air out and re-cap, 2nd week daily shake… I get a wonderfully blossomed, extremely smooth and complex fruity vape that makes my mouth water…and I mix that flavor for MTL vaping in RTAs… I mix that at 15% flavor…Sometimes I will froth again, midway through the steeping time period…With this, given my high flavor %s and a fairly lengthy steep (sometimes 3 weeks), I get a BOLD and complex flavor profile, which has not muted itself, and I blend at 40/60 PG/VG or 30/70 PG/VG…

Another benefit I have found is that with flavors that contain small amounts of alcohol, the frothing combined with my post mix routine assists in removing the alcohol, WHILE maintaining the flavor components portion of my mix…Flavorah Flavors are prime examples of this…

@Chrispdx point of allowing your mix to settle is an excellent point, as the juice immediately after frothing has not had the time to properly attach to the PG/VG components of your mix…This is what the post frothing steep time will do…So in essence what you may be experiencing with your sweety sensation perhaps, may best be described like drinking a glass of Nestle Quik and encountering a little ball of the chocolate powder that didn’t get dissolved entirely during your mixing it in the milk…(Though I have no scientific evidence to back this up)

So yeah, I am definitely an advocate of frothing which is absolutely followed by a proper steeping time…and I use NO heat, as I have found that this kinda dulls out the bright top notes, and takes away some of the freshness, expecially for my fruit based mixes… I prefer to steep naturally in a dark, cool environment…

Another concern with frothing has been the idea that the Nicotine may oxidize during this procedure…If this is a concern of yours, as well, you can always froth your mix without the nicotine and add it a day or so later after it has re-liquified, then return to steep…

I hope you get to the bottom of this, and find your keys to successful mixing and enjoyable vapes… :slight_smile: Sorry it was so long winded

6 Likes

I was gonna say something about it being kinda personal, but you got it covered.

2 Likes

The most important lesson in mixing is finding out what works for you.
Different flavors even from the same manufacturers take to different mixing techniques and the variables go on from there.
You went about it the right way as you researched and you tried , unfortunately this time it didn’t work.
EDIT:
I will add that I do froth all of my mixes but some I do not heat while others I have found must be heated IMO.

3 Likes

What are you using to froth with? I’m curious now

My Paula Dean Cosmic Juice Frothing/Mixing Machine
Doubles as a emergency trolling motor

5 Likes

I make salad dressing with one of those… hmmmm…

I bought a $10.00 dremmel tool at Harbor Freight…Then you go to Meijers to get white plastic slender stir straws made by Blue Diamond…They are in the picnic area with plastic cups etc…come in a plastic box of 170…Cut a straw in half and attach it to the 1/8 inch drill bit that comes with the dremmel tool…Fold and pinch about a quarter inch at the end of the straw …Froth with that…If you are mixing several bottles, it is simple to pull off the straw, toss it, and install another on easily and go…No cleaning and it is very efficient…If you want, you can wrap a small bit of electrical tape on the drill bit just above the where the straw fits onto the bit…I mix in 30 ml bottles and 10 ml for testing purposes…However, when I mix in my 10 ml bottles I only make 8 ml so as to avoid overflow during frothing, as the liquid expands during frothing…

6 Likes

@Maureeenie like we said the other day. Learn something new all the time I like your idea @Flavor_Alchemist

3 Likes

OK I don’t froth as mine doesn’t turn as fast as a dremmel but I use two zip ties that I ran all the way down so there is a tiny loop on the end of each one then bound them together with two more zip ties and trimmed them off smooth. Makes for a great speed stir on my drill.

3 Likes

Similar to this
got it for $2 from a local Daiso store