Getting into layering, Any advice on this recipe?

Hi everybody! I’m dropping this recipe here right before I mix it, to see if anyone can tell me if I’m on the right track or if it looks off just from a cursory glance and it.
First, no, I haven’t finished doing all of my single flavor tests, so im going off previous recipe results with some of the ingredients, recommended percentages for others, some single flavor testing and intuition for the rest. I know this could prove wasteful! But, it’s fun and I’ve had decent to good results so far. I have many years of cooking experience and recipe creation, and I know I will get better as i really delve into proper notes and testing.
Any advice or critiques would be much appreciated. Thanks!
http://tjek.nu/r/cEh4

6 Likes

Looks tasty! I’m not sure that .5% of the strawberry (organic) tpa will do a whole lot, I might bump that up a little bit, probably at least 1 or 2% if you think it needs to be there, or you could just skip it.

8 Likes

Thanks! I was going for that subtle layering effect, and it’s one I hadn’t used or tested yet. I’m boosting it! This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I appreciate the input!

6 Likes

I think it looks pretty good also! I would tend to to agree with what @VapeyMama said about the organic strawberry but i have personally never had that and cant speak on that flavor. If you think it will add something to the mix the way it is by all means leave it alone. The best thing about DIY is doing it YOUR way :slight_smile: plus trial and error is how you learn! some of my best mixes have been by “Mistake” lol If i had all of those ingredients i would mix up a batch right with you just the way it is… Happy Mixing!!

6 Likes

Looks pretty tasty too me!
I haven’t tried layering with SC’s yet, let us know how it steeps out.

4 Likes

Thanks, man! I’m sure it would have been fine at the original .5%, but 1.5 sounds a lot better. If it’s too much, I can always run it back down next time. I put this out there for advice, so I’m more than happy to take it! I wish you could try this too! It smells delicious hot of the scale. My whole flavor stash is PG-free, so I’m going to run into this scenario a lot, where not many people can mix up my recipes. I mix 0%PG for my wife, so I want to be able to recreate anything I come up with for her. Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice!

5 Likes

I will, and thanks! I’ll drop an update here in a few days.

3 Likes

All I can say is that I guess there are a lot of flavors around these days. I’m used to not having one or two in a recipe, but I literally have none of these, despite having hundreds of flavors… have I lost a step? Am I getting old?

Well, it looks like you might be going for max VG, so… let me know if this turns out well, and if I have to make yet another order ;).

2 Likes

Looks fine to me

2 Likes

This one is 25/75 pg/vg, but I mix 0%pg for my wife. These are really nice flavors, and pretty easy to get. Real Flavors has become popular here recently, I get them from the RF website (or ECX for smaller bottles) , and Nature’s Flavors has been around for a while, but don’t seem too popular. I think the reason is that they are a little expensive, just below Medicine Flower price range, but i got these from DIY Vapor Supply for a very friendly price.
It’s been an uphill battle finding pg-free flavors, but most of them turn out to be really high quality. I think most folks just don’t need them because there a so very many great options in the PG variety.
I’ll jump back here with the results. The 0%PG versions need a much longer steep, but with a 20/80 or 25/75, 3 days to 2 weeks seems to get the job done well with these.
Btw, the Meyer lemon is just fresh squeezed and strained Meyer lemon juice from my kitchen! I’ve seen lemon being used a lot now that I’m trying to get a little more nuanced with layering and such. Just a couple of drops supposedly help make certain flavors pop! Even peanut butter cups! First try here, I’ll see how it goes. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

I have a lot of the MF flavors- they’re a bit of a pain to work with, but IMHO the best fruit flavors around when you get them right. The only RF flavors I have are the three they sent me as freebies- I have been meaning to get around to testing them. Curious to hear how this recipe works out for you.

2 Likes

I’ll let you know how it goes. It smells great, but I’m going to let those creams get to know each other for a few days. Loving the RFSCs so far. This is the first time I’ve had another brand to really mix them up with. I have just a few MF, but using them sparingly until I get a good understanding of how they work. Their white chocolate is great! Im learning the peaches now. Kind of using them as boosters, but want to try out more and get some recipes that feature them more prominently. I’ll tag you when I have some feedback on this recipe. High hopes!

1 Like