Good stuff :)

You can’t vape it but this is some good stuff on some ribs or a butt…

https://www.oakridgebbq.com/?product=limited-edition-crucible-ghost-chile-rub

3 Likes

you almost had me with that! but I cant do spicy lol

1 Like

Better stay far, far away then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh I will! I love cooking, I actually do most of the cooking at home lol my fiancé “prefers my cooking” still not sure if that’s just a line so she doesn’t have to do it lol but the kids like daddys cooking and that’s enough for me lol. My philosophy is this… if you enjoy eating why torture your self? why am I going to cause myself pain to enjoy a meal lol but to each his own :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am sure it is great but… At over $20.00 counting shipping for a 6 ounce bag of seasoning is almost bordering on insanity.:sob:
I am sure it is great though , everything that Oakridge BBQ sells is top notch!:grinning:

1 Like

Cause it’s good shit :slight_smile: Actually it’s not terribly hot and adds some very nice flavors.

3 Likes

I started using Oakridge because everything is lower sodium… seems I have a blood pressure problem and I’m a smoker freak on top of that :frowning: and you’re right everything is top notch.

4 Likes

I tend to hang at www.bbq-brethren.com/ more often…

3 Likes

I have used this recipe for years

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/smokedturkeylegs.html

But I don’t use the vegetable oil I do a dry rub

Double the recipe for a whole Turkey

I Brine the Turkey for 48 hrs in the frig. Then rinse really well inside and out and dry off then add dry rub

Then I smoke with 50% Pecan chips and 50% Apple chips

3 Likes

And I’m a member of…
SmokingMeatForums.com

5 Likes

now you definitely need to get Modernist Cuisine books. Brilliant section/sections on smoking and sous vide and all that good stuff. Amazing.

Gotta have some of this… Nice smokey flavor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/232099995812

1 Like

I haven’t bought ‘rubs’ in decades.
They are high in sodium, some even MSG, and most are not made with organic ingredients.

All of them are over-priced, way over-priced for what you get.

I love hot-spicy, but I love flavor, chile pepper flavor, even more, and you can’t regulate
that with store-bought rubs. There are some that taste good, but all of the above still
goes for 99% of them.

Anyone can grow chile peppers, almost anywhere you live, and you can easily grow a bunch.

Growing and dehydrating your own gives you incredible versatility for uses…
Grow a variety, prepare them, then mix them how you wish.
Then you can add Himalayan Pink salt, organic peppercorn [black, white, rainbow],
granulated garlic and/or onion, ginger, turmeric,rosemary, cilantro, etc,or whatever else you want.

I use a large variety of peppers each day, and it’s not always for HOT meals.
They are very healthy for you.

Mike is in the top 10 Chile Kings of the world [plus I am prejudiced by acquaintance ]
If you have a few minutes, here is one of his videos :

5 Likes

Sacrilege a DIY site and buying vendor sold rubs.:grinning:

I love pulled pork done in my smoker. I have settled on a Pitt & Cue recipe from their book for my favourite Pork Rub

Fennel Seeds 10g (I choose to leave these out) as with all things DIY still a great Rub, but leaving them out is doable when homemade, the rub would be unusable to me if I had bought it ready made though.
Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
Black peppercorns 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds 1tsp
Soft Dark Brown Sugar 100g
Granulated Sugar 50g
Garlic powder 10g
Fine Salt 100g
Smoked Paprika 15g
Paprika 30g
Dried Oregano 1 tsp
Cayenne 1 tsp

Toast the cumin, peppercorns and coriander in a dry pan over a medium heat for a few minutes till the spices release there aroma. Tip into a bowl to cool.

Blitz the toasted spices in a blender to a rough powder. Combine with the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Once shredded I add there Mother Sauce which works wonderfully, mixed with the pulled pork once cooked. Sauce takes a bit of prep and I wouldn’t do it for just me and my wife, but if doing a big family BBQ, it’s worth the hassle imho

Also there slaw is a great with the pulled pork

White Cabbage Finely Shredded ½
Red Cabbage ¼
Sweetcorn Kernels 200g
Finely Grated zest of 1 lime
Juice of 2 Limes
Coriander leaves 1 bunch
Confit Garlic Cloves, pureed 6
Maldon Sea Salt, freshly ground black pepper and Soured cream to serve.
Chipotle Mayonnaise (Mayo 150g, and Chipotle Paste 25g)
Couple of tsp of the Original Rub as well

I add my own twist of Sundried Tomatoes in Olive Oil (chop them up small) along with the tomato infused oil to the mixture adds a lovely touch of sweetness to the final mix I usually use a 250g jar

Hopefully investing in a Weber Smoky Mountain or ProQ smoker next year, would love a Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe but the cost is just too much to justify.

2 Likes

IDK… Carolina reaper guy might try vaping that.

4 Likes

I have the SS Great outdoors smoky mountain gas smoker I got at costco’s years ago and love it[quote=“bluenose63, post:15, topic:98406”]
Sacrilege a DIY site and buying vendor sold rubs.:grinning:
[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

When I make my rib/pulled pork rub (right at about 2 cups at a time) there is only 2 TBS of salt in it.

1 Like

For those looking to cut down on cheese use Nutritional Yeast in it’s place as an alternative !

High in B vitamins as well :wink:

Hey Vegetarian in a carnivore world #

3 Likes

Charcoal for me, everytime. Can be a little messy and fiddly, but with the right Lumpwood Charcoal can’t be beaten.

But whatever method of cooking used, the finished results from a smoker are just brilliant.

3 Likes