Guys I am worried

With the new Nutella scare saying they heat Palm oil at over 200 degrees and it can cause cancer, should we be worries about our Palm derived Vegetable Glycerin?

3 Likes

You know “life” can kill you right?

You should be really “worries” about that… :smirk:

6 Likes

I’m not worried at all.

Xanax.

13 Likes

Every week there is a new study out that says “this causes cancer or that causes cancer” soon as that study hit the press, they out out a newer study saying exactly the opposite. Fact of the matter is, breathing takes you one step closer to death every time you do it. Question is: Do you live your life the way YOU want or how THEY want you to live it? Im not worried in the least and I honestly do not think you should be as well.

2 Likes

Not that I am discouraging your feelings bc I get it …nothing in vaping states it’s a 100% safe alternative. As for the after effect of our actions we won’t know for sometime.

Safer than cigarettes I still feel yes it is.

Palm oil is apprently widely used in varying forms most are incognito pretty interesting list.

you’ll find PG is in there too so it’s not just about the VG we have to think about either. Then again if you cook w/ oil well there’s a better chance that you’re getting a double whammy of exposure not being sarcastic just stating even if we think we’re using another type of oil there’s many compainies that don’t have to list if it’s under a certain % in the overall product so we may not even be aware that we’re in fact inhaling and consuming more and more palm oil.

I realize that 99.7 % is pure for USP and the remaining .3 is water but still I wonder about the oil.

Cigarettes are still for sale yet Nutella may get banned we live in a screwed up world.

10 Likes

Wow! Where are the priorities! We make our own world in these dark days…

6 Likes

The Cleveland Clinic explains that you cannot use one cooking oil for every type of cooking. Some oils can’t take any heat, like flaxseed oil; some work best for cooking in low or medium heats and others can withstand high heats. It is important to use the correct kind of oil for the cooking method you are using to retain the health benefits of the oil.
Step 1

Choose a type of oil that is suited for high-heat cooking, which includes almond oil, palm oil, sunflower oil, hazelnut oil, avocado oil or “light” or refined olive oil. These are oils that have a high smoke point, which is the temperature when the oil starts to smoke. Past this point, the oil can create free radicals, which are thought to cause cancer and other diseases. Almond oil can go to 430 degrees F, palm to 450 degrees, sunflower to 440 degrees, hazelnut to 430 degrees, avocado to 520 degrees and refined olive oil to 468 degrees.

11 Likes

Awesome info right there :+1:

Here is some more:

7 Likes

So you’re saying we shouldn’t flambe with nutella?

7 Likes

I found this article to be very interesting the Guest is asking is there anything toxic about the vapor in his fog machine on a chemist forum…if you have the patience it’s a good read. I get it if it’s a bit TLDR :wink:

Not that it is really 100% relative it does give insight

I particularly liked this response. But for the whole chit chat http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=75217.0

Glycerol decomposes into acrolein at ~535 F (~280 C). Acrolein is an aldehyde that is a decomposition product of glycerol. Glycerol is a basic component of a triglyceride. Basically fats in foods are composed of long chain fatty acids that are bound, in triplicate, to glycerol. Each glycerol can hold three fatty acids, which may be identical or may be different. As an ester, triglycerides can decompose into an alcohol and an acid (in this case, a free fatty acid) when heat is applied. There are probably other reactions that occur; maybe an organic chemist in the audience can enlighten us. The temperature at which this decomposition occurs is related to the type of fatty acids that are bound to the glycerol. Once the triglycerides decompose into free fatty acids and glycerol, the glycerol itself may decompose into acrolein if more heat is applied. You may have heard of a “smoke point” for cooking oils. Basically when you heat a cooking oil, you gradually cause the triglycerides in the oil to decompose into glycerol and free fatty acids. Further heating causes the glycerol (and the free fatty acids) to decompose (and combust, if you heat enough), which causes smoke and an acrid smell. The smell is caused by aldehydes like acrolein. This is also why once you smoke an oil, you should throw it out - those decomposition products are bitter, and frankly toxic, so you shouldn’t eat them. Different oils smoke at different temperatures because the fatty acid content differs, and also oils that are more refined (think virgin olive oil versus purified oil) have less impurities that initialize decomposition reactions at lower temperatures.

Anyway, point is that pure glycerol is pretty stable until high (~500 F) temperature is reached. If glycerol decomposed into acrolein in appreciable quantities, you’d probably smell it. My guess is that the name acrolein derives in some way from the root word “acrid”, because that’s what it smells like.

From what I can tell, fog machines work (generally, there are different types) by introducing a proprietary smoke liquid, then heat is applied to vaporize the liquid. The liquid appears to be a mixture of glycerol and water (or some such). It’s important to stress that you do not appear to be creating smoke, which is a suspension of solid particles in a gas. It seems what you are actually doing is creating a liquid-air aerosol. That is, you flash heat the water portion of the smoke liquid, which creates very fine droplets of glycerol that remain suspended in air. This has the appearance of smoke because fine particles scatter light. (This is very similar to what happens with dry ice, another popular method of creating “smoke” - carbon dioxide gas liberated from dry ice when it is put into water is very cold, which causes condensation of water in air to form small, suspended droplets, which scatter light in much the same way). Glycerol is probably used in this mixture, because it is relatively stable, nontoxic, and has (I guess) surface tension properties that allow it to form stable aerosols. The problem with dry ice fog is that once the fog is away from the vicinity of the dry ice, the fog warms, and the suspended water droplets re-evaporate and disappear. Thus dry ice fogs do not linger for very long. Dry ice is probably also more expensive than glycerol.

So, my GUESS is that the fog machine applies enough heat to flash-boil water in the smoke mixture, but not enough heat to decompose glycerol. If glycerol was being decomposed in appreciable quantities, you’d smell the aldehyde decomposition products pretty vividly. Therefore I would personally have little concern using a fog machine.

That said, it’s possible that some acrolein or other decomposition products are formed at levels below the ability of the human nose to detect them. I have no knowledge of what the toxicity level of aerosolized acrolein is compared to its detection threshold, so I cannot offer any scientific guidance about whether fog machines pose a threat to your health, either chronic or acute, and you’re probably not going to find anyone here who will give you a definitive yes or no on that score. Mostly because this information may simply not be available, and even if it were, the chemists here are not in the habit of making safety declarations for consumer products. That’s a liability issue on top of the scientific uncertainty.

@ozo is right on the money it’s the smoke point in which we are interested in bravo Ozo

9 Likes

It is statements like this (below) that rears the ugly heads of the wannabe gurus.

It only matters when you live on a deep-fried diet or similar, otherwise you will never
have enough intake to even come close to dangerous levels.

The same study, from the same lab, as the statement above, said this (below) as
a general precaution…not as a major health warning. This is where idiots pluck their
info from to stand on their little box and preach to other idiots that then spread it as gospel.

Furthermore, coconut oil is maybe the healthiest oil to use, and not only for cooking, but
you also need to concern yourself with where and how it is sourced.

When @Nicotine_River first showed up on ELR, I called them to find out where their VG
came from, and how. Was it part of clear-cutting harvesting or sustainable farming. Was their
source part of the RainForest Alliance? IT MATTERS TO ME.
I talked to Jody [Scott’s wife], who could have told me anything, but she was honest, said
she wasn’t sure…would find out and call me back with true answers. YOU KNOW WHAT I THOUGHT…
right, sure you will. A couple hours later, I get a call…“Hi Ozo, my name is Sam, I am the
chemist at @Nicotine_River_Chem , sorry it took so long, I had to talk to all the suppliers to find
out specifics before calling…” That was the beginning of a relationship that the rest of you have seen
blossom on ELR…how @Nicotine_River has conducted themselves as a business, with their
products, customer service, and even handling a problem with a tiny 10ml bottle of something…treating
you like it was a $1000 order.
This ‘relationship’ that all here share equally with NR, is the reason I buy all of my DIY liquids from them,
and with their new line of flavorings, I see no reason to shop elsewhere. Just wait until you see what
their flavor line looks like in the very near future, and none of them will be made with toxins, so you
won’t see any triangles and exclamation points near their flavorings. I understand this is my opinion,
but all of my opinions come from many decades of experiences, constant research, and actual application…
and long before the great www. was even a gleam in [Al’s] eyes. :smile_cat:

Back to Step 2…the type of statement that gets regurgitated out of context…

Step 2

Consider the health of the oil as well as the cooking method. Use palm oil only when necessary because more than half of it is saturated fat, with 52 percent, while 38 percent is monounsaturated fat and 10 percent is polyunsaturated fat it contains. Out of the high-heat oils, almond and hazelnut oils have the lowest percentage of saturated fat. Saturated fat can increase risk factors for heart disease, like high cholesterol, whereas unsaturated fat can decrease your risk.

10 Likes

im not a doctor i just act like one on ELR jk but i assume the only thing our lungs are supposed to inhale is air and even that isnt pure so no im not worried , i believe this is a safe alternative , its fun , met great people around the world if a person is worried about anything thats related to vaping just say NO and move on its all a choice

9 Likes

I use the same type of Vg that NR uses just from a different vendor and I swear it is the cleanest and most enjoyable Vg I’ve ever vaped. It does matter to me as well Ozo about the Rain Forest being demolished of it’s resources.

http://www.musimmas.com/products

6 Likes

I worry more about the IRS deciding to squeeze me for claiming lunches with clients. Or for that jar of Prego on the top shelf of my cabinet falling when I open the cabinet door, smashing on the counter top and sending shards of glass into my eyes. There are plenty of other and perhaps less dramatic things to fear, such as…

Rickets
Terrorists
Martians (horny or gay, or horny and gay)
A lost Tibetan monk in my garden
Zombies
Rabies
Scabies
Wacked out school bus drivers
Spoiled Tuna
Last Rites

I also obviously have a fear of falling asleep. But not in a Marge Thompson way, but obviously some fear since I can’t seem to fall asleep without first getting so exhausted that staying awake is impossible.

And then again, there are other things to be more concerned about…

Oh, I should quit while I’m ahead.

Maybe there’s something to the Palm Oil fear. Maybe not. And I certainly won’t criticize for anyone having fears. Just want to say that so often there seems to be this study or that study and even the very air we breathe will be called a source of impending doom. Personally I can’t be too consumed by it being the weak man I am for not being able to quit smoking without help. Since e-cigs are the only thing to ever offer success, I’ll leave it here. If my mod explodes in my face and doesn’t kill me, I fully plan to salvage it if I can. Because a duct-taped mod looks far better to me in my hand than a cigarette.

Carry on :slight_smile:

18 Likes

People have been taught to worry about everything these days.

Great read, BTW, Amy.

Intelligent folks, that care about health, have spent careers seeking truths.
Some plagiarize the works, some snip out sections just to criticize.
God gave us a phenomenal brain, yet some are lazy to use it.

In a nutshell, if you don’t read the whole thread on a [any] forum, come in
late and see something that offends you, you just respond with stupid
shit, maybe get jumped on, then get more offended, because you didn’t
understand the context.

@SthrnMixer

I agree with you Robert…3 in the last ten years is too many.

7 Likes

90% of the households in America have more toxic drinking water than toxins found in vaping.

8 Likes

People that start rumors about peoples choices of habit/hobbies are more toxic and harmful than actually having cancer. The most bias people against vaping spew whatever lies or nonsense in an effort to drive to their desired conformity. These people are a cancer themselves and that group, like cancer, needs to be removed.

There are so many foods with palm oil in them that we have been consuming for years. Microwave popcorn for one and we have been eating that for years. It gets way over 200 degrees and no one has said a thing about popcorn. I am not too sure that this lie/scare wasn’t indirectly aimed at vaping on purpose and Nutella is a temporary scapegoat.

Anyway, people are full of shit and try to conform people every day, not me, I think for myself and make my own decisions every day. Three groups of people I do not trust, the liberal media, scientists and university professors, most all with a biased agenda will lie for you to conform to them. I will leave this to readers on the forum.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/why-nutella-doesnt-actually-give-you-cancer-and-how-to-spot-a-health-scare/articleshow/56592830.cms

6 Likes

Sure, you say that now. But if a horny Martian told you to grab the palm oil I bet you wouldn’t find it such an innocent substance! :slight_smile:

Whoomp, there it is!

10 Likes

You didn’t mention scurvy. ARE YOU NOT AFRAID???

4 Likes

Petrified homeboy, petrified! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes