Help - Cornish Ice Cream

I’m looking for a recipe for real old (1960s) Cornish Ice Cream to celebrate my 4th** “vapeday” this week.
Anyone in the UK remember the flavour? I loved it as a kid but can’t describe it well now. Not vanilla bean I think. Scalded milk. Not overly sweet? No waffle. Quite distinctively yellow and creamy and not to be found outside small dairies in Cornwall. Miles away from so called Cornish Ice Cream in supermarkets today. The closest I’ve come to the taste recently is Purbeck Vanilla Bean IC which is very delicious but not the same as real old Cornish.

I’m way too inexperienced to start mixing it from scratch so any leg-ups gratefully received.

** 4 years off stinkies - I’m so happy! :smiley:

7 Likes

Can’t help with this one but would like to congratulate you on 4 years smoke feee! That is awesome!

4 Likes

I wonder if the solution is simply to add a little heavy/rich cream - such as Cupcake World (aka Chefs Choice aka Aristo-CAT) Devon Cream - to whichever VBIC you prefer?

3 Likes

Devon Cream is the first thing that sprang to my mind :+1:

Edit: you can get it from Chefs Flavours iirc @MixedUp2

2 Likes

Thanks @BathVaper & @Lolly. Devon Cream certainly might a possibility. Most people seem to add pastry and strawberry and call it Cream Tea. I’ve sampled a few finished Cream Tea juices over the years and they’re OKish but not memorable. A bit sickly even. Maybe my memory plays me false but the plain vanilla Cornish ice cream had something extra in terms of flavour rather than depth of creaminess.

@TheTinMan1 Thanks! And all without any willpower required whatsoever!

3 Likes

While FlavourArt UK’s Cornish Cream Tea concentrate is a blend of FA Cookie, FA Strawberry and FA Cream Fresh, Cupcake World’s Devon Cream is purely a delicious rich cream with no other additions.
Grab some and try it yourself - it’s pretty inexpensive and is used only sparingly so 30ml will go a long way.

I’m not sure what else might have been included in old-fashioned Cornish VIC other than milk/cream, egg yolks, sugar and a hint of vanilla (plus a tiny amount of salt apparently) but maybe it’s the eggy-ness you’re missing?

3 Likes

Interesting you should mention salt. I have it on my list as a possible ingredient but have never used it in a mix yet. I hadn’t thought of eggs; I love them so much it just could be right. I’ll get some CCW Devon Cream for sure - just as soon as I can decide which other flavours to order - they want to sell me 5 flavours for £11 which, as you say, is pretty good. (If you have any more recommendations please fire away.) I’m very grateful for your help.:smiley:

Rather than trying to find four other concentrates from CCW that you don’t really want, add this one from Chefs (it’s just CCW’s rebottled and relabelled) to your next order?

2 Likes

Progress report:

Ethyl Vanillin 10% (TPA) 0.5%
Koolada 10% (TPA) 0.5%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA) 6%
Devon Cream (CCW) 1%

@BathVaper @Lolly : CIC coming along nicely thanks to you. The Devon cream sure is delicious - and thick! (I was going to add some marshmallow but thought better of it.) I now know it needs salt and I’m not sure the koolada is doing what I wanted so that will probably go.
(I filled my tank with The Kennedy clone after vaping my creation. Something magical happened as the two mixed, too bad it only lasted a few toots. I may have to follow that one up. :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Good to hear! Can’t wait for you to perfect it - I’ll definitely be giving it a mix :+1::smiley:

2 Likes

Maybe just a drop or two of saline would be enough?
Chefs stock Saline suitable for vaping (it’s in the Additives section) but only in 30ml bottles (for £2) which will last you a lifetime or two. There are cheaper alternatives if you don’t mind supplying your own bottle…

Koolada at 0.5% probably isn’t enough to give a cooling effect - I’d go in at 1.5-2% myself - but some don’t like it in milky / creamy mixes.
Might be worth trying some WS-23 (a completely different and far more powerful cooling agent) that should give more of an ‘icy’ sensation when vaped without affecting the taste of the juice at all.

I’d worry about getting the ice-cream side of the taste just right before worrying too much about the coolness.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the really useful tips.:+1:
I would never have thought of ordering saline from Chefs; I shall pester the pharmacist at Boots first though.
I’ve never heard of WS-23; it sounds just the job but, as you counsel, I’ll wait until I get the flavour right. You’re dead right about the Koolada; I can just detect it on the exhale but it’s not really “right” anyway; better with fruits perhaps (he said with all the authority of a man mixing for 4 weeks).:grinning:

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

Make sure the saline you buy has no preservatives or additives - they’re probably not good to vape and will definitely mess up your coils!